The actual I am watching the World Cup thread. No, non World Cup watchers please. Spoilers.

Comments

• crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    edited December 2022

They are different types of player. Both brilliant in their own right, but Griezeman has been at the top of his game since before Mbappe came along. Different perspectives maybe, but if I had to choose one over the other, I would pick Griezman. Yes, Mbappe can have displays of brilliance and change a game but Griezman just seems to be able to influence every area of the pitch for the whole duration of the game.

Just to be clear, I am not criticsing Mbappe nor doubting his obvious ability, just saying that I see some unwelcome tendencies that tend to creep into the games of some of the "genius" players.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,956
    edited December 2022
    orraloon said:

Testing my Spanish here: what a silly look Or: what a look Silly?

Quien habla español? @sungod ?

'What are you looking at, stupid?'

Post match beef with the Dutch
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,888

orraloon said:

Testing my Spanish here: what a silly look Or: what a look Silly?

Quien habla español? @sungod ?

'What are you looking at, stupid?'

Post match beef with the Dutch
    in the press conference
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746

Really enjoyed that match, when Morocco attack they really commit to it - made me wonder if we'd had rampaging FBs to link up with Saka and Foden if we'd have done better.

I think our problem was the safety first don't lose the ball mindset rather than the personnel.
    I agree - it's easy to pick up on what players do well or on mistakes but what they aren't trying to do is easier to miss. I've seen Walker underlap the wide forward and end up in the opponent's box for Man City. Another example would be Rice not carrying the ball forwards as much as he does for West Ham.

I'm backing Southgate for the Euros but I hope he just tweaks it to allow players to leave their station more to add to the attacking threat.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    Re. Mbappe, Pochettino was a pundit on one of the France games and he was very much of the opinion there was a lot Mbappe could work on - Potch has coached him of course though he's also Argentinian so may be more inclined towards Messi and Maradona's reputations.

• Really enjoyed that match, when Morocco attack they really commit to it - made me wonder if we'd had rampaging FBs to link up with Saka and Foden if we'd have done better.

I think our problem was the safety first don't lose the ball mindset rather than the personnel.
    I agree - it's easy to pick up on what players do well or on mistakes but what they aren't trying to do is easier to miss. I've seen Walker underlap the wide forward and end up in the opponent's box for Man City. Another example would be Rice not carrying the ball forwards as much as he does for West Ham.

I'm backing Southgate for the Euros but I hope he just tweaks it to allow players to leave their station more to add to the attacking threat.

I think that Kane should drop back into the Griezman type role and we should pick somebody with pace as the focal point of our attack as it makes us too easy to defend against.

He would be competing with Foden/Bellingham.

I would drop everybody who will be too old at the next world cup. That way the new guys will have tournament experience at the Euros
  • Yes but also still wanna win it, so can't be to broad with the sythe - as experience of winning is also valuable - can't always build to the 'next wc'.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,610
    I think it has the potential to be an excellent game on Sunday.

It's a 50/50 for me, both teams have the players to turn the game.

I'm going for 3-2 to France, I hope it will be an open and flowing game.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,901
    daniel_b said:

I think it has the potential to be an excellent game on Sunday.

It's a 50/50 for me, both teams have the players to turn the game.

I'm going for 3-2 to France, I hope it will be an open and flowing game.

I'm hoping for that too but fear the "dark arts" will be prevalent from both sides.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Certainly the way refs have been letting the game flow is open to abuse by a team that might take advantage of that greater leniency. Would it be unfair to suggest that Argentina may benefit more from that ?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624
    Players crowding round and jostling the ref is an absolute disgrace. That's at least twice the Morrocans have done that - the one in the first half after his decision was entirely correct.

Should be a straight red for laying a finger on the ref.
  • pblakeney
    I missed a fair section of the match but heard there was a contentious penalty decision. Any details?
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mrb123
    Croatia could have had one, player went down having had his leg slightly clipped from behind. Wasn't as clear cut as the commentators made out.
  • pblakeney
    edited December 2022
    Thanks!
    Edit:- Seen it. Let's just say he tried too hard to buy the penalty.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,738
    Good that the ref was one of those not buying the diving, he touch me moneyball pansy bollox. Morocco just not good enough in converting pressure and chances into on target strikes.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,967
    Blatant dive to win a penalty by the cheats. Ref totally fell for it.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Hmmm, les bleus have actuellement got to start playing now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    Ref may as well put the Argie shirt on. No way a foul on Messi. Just out jumped.
  • Hmmm, les bleus have actuellement got to start playing now...

Not sure they can. I had a feeling France were not the team of 4 years ago, it seemed like they were utilising their experience to find a way to win whilst playing poorly against England and Morocco. If the form isn't there, at some point your luck runs out.

Hope they prove me wrong though, would much rather a France win.
  • mrb123
    Great goal
  • Dorset_Boy
    Great breakaway goal tbf.

Huge challenge for France now.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    First match of the WC I've bothered to watch. France are being totally outplayed so far.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    ddraver said:

Hmmm, les bleus have actuellement got to start playing now...

....And that was always going to be a possibility.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • MidlandsGrimpeur2
    MidlandsGrimpeur2 Posts: 1,397
    edited December 2022
    Had to say, you could argue that Macallister has been player of the tournament.

Good luck holding on to him Brighton!
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    this could be embarrassing for les bleus

lets see how the double sub goes
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Di Maria should be on the 5m board in the pool.

Agree that McAllister has been excellent
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ref is a big fll. I ain't arguing with him.

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • He is incredible. They are so lucky to have him there at the World Cup, amazing.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Argentina have been so much quicker in everything. Almost as if the French are still suffering from the virus that has afflicted them this week.
    However, they dive left right and centre, are very cynical and then look in disbelief when they finally get a booking.
    Better side by a distance, but are really horrible team.