What’s the lowest temperatures you’ll ride in?

Comments

• daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,939
    A few testers coming up this week, I'll be commuting tomorrow when it's about 1c, but later in the week it's going to be dropping to -4 or thereabouts.

Not sure if Sunday rides will happen, will have to look at the conditions on the day I suspect.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Cold, wet and windy - if you can enjoy two, you're better than most.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644
    Hmmm, cold and wet, wet and windy or cold and windy 🤔
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,110
    I've never ridden in less than -30C. I don't mind the cold too much but my feet suffer these days and I need thick overshoes to go out. Never ride in the cold and rain unless I'm caught out.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited December 2022
    davidof said:

I've never ridden in less than -30C. I don't mind the cold too much but my feet suffer these days and I need thick overshoes to go out. Never ride in the cold and rain unless I'm caught out.

riding in -30? as in minus thirty?

#doublehardbastard

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,911
    -30 degrees Celsius, Fahrenheit or latitude?
  • MattFalle
    C.

its in his post.
  • When I was commuting I rode I pretty much any weather, I think -10c was the coldest, luckily the roads were well gritted!
  • I fractured my hip requiring a hip replacement six years ago on a cold Rememberance Day after coming off on a roundabout. A combination of cold, damp, patch of diesel and Gatorskins! ( Horrible hard tyres). A later diagnosis of osteoporosis linked to a Parathyroid problem partly explained the bad break, but just don’t want to go there again!
    Had hit a patch of black ice a couple of years before that too and that was horrible too, although no injuries luckily.
    Soo much more circumspect when it’s been damp/ wet and there is a danger of ice. Even if the main roads are gritted the lanes can remain in shade and with black ice.
    Binned a ride last winter when me and a friend came across black ice on a stretch of main road and went for a walk instead.
    Saying that it hovered around the 2 degree C mark this past Sunday especially up on the South Downs. It was cold, roads were dry….. but it was great to get out.
    As others say will be watching the weather forecast over the next three months. I also think many of us will be ‘ locked into’ the get out early syndrome on a Saturday/ Sunday, but that isn’t always suitable for the Winter too.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064

I went for a two hour ride on Saturday... it was about 4 degrees. I kept it very easy, averaging about 2 miles slower than I would normally. I managed to avoid sweating and didn't get cold. Normally, I do sweat and freeze soon after. It was pleasant, despite the temperature, but then again, it was almost sunny and the roads were almost dry

Nail on the head the Ugo its the sweating then being wet and cold that kills me, once i'm cold i cant warm up again.

Mind you i hate the cold full stop and have been looking tonight for rentals in Spain for the rest of Dec.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Been out today 2 degrees with a 20mph plus northerly wind. Couldn’t feel my feet after half an hour and my hands started to go numb at one point. No ice about which is way I chanced it.
    Needless to say I won’t be rushing to repeat the experience. I struggled to get my kit
    off and thought I might have wait till the wife got in to get some help. I then spent about 20 minutes in the shower to get my body warm.
  • seanoconn
    1 degree this morning and planning to ride tomorrow -3.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,227
    ^
    Slip slidin’ away
    Slip slidin’ away
    You know the nearer your destination
    The more you’re slip slidin’ away

Bonne chance
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

Been out today 2 degrees with a 20mph plus northerly wind. Couldn’t feel my feet after half an hour and my hands started to go numb at one point. No ice about which is way I chanced it.
    Needless to say I won’t be rushing to repeat the experience. I struggled to get my kit
    off and thought I might have wait till the wife got in to get some help. I then spent about 20 minutes in the shower to get my body warm.

its at this point you say fuckit.

any fool can be cold. this is why turbo trainers were invented.
  • katani
    katani Posts: 140
    edited December 2022
    MattFalle said:

webboo said:

its at this point you say fuckit.

any fool can be cold. this is why turbo trainers were invented.
    I know, but after sitting 8 hours in front of a computer screen my body just screams to be outdoor despite whatever, and not be staring at a computer screen again.
    I could run instead, but I did that last night and a bit of jogging today morning just before work, and doing the same thing every time gets boring pretty quick.
    I do regret half an hour in, like I did tonight, when my finger tips started hurting from the cold, but it was too late so I kept going for 2 hours total with a short stop in a Coop to warm the hands up.
    0 degrees tonight, but no wind. Wearing a full winter kit including winter shoes makes me cope fairly well, except the hands. So I have ordered heated gloves which will hopefully be delivered soon. Wearing even woolen liner gloves and the Estremos keeps my hands warm for half an hour max. I did shiver a bit once I was back home, but shivering is good apparently as it promotes the production of brown fat according to Huberman, so I don't mind that either.
    If my hands are sorted it will be happy days.

• Thank cod I don't have to go out this morning, even though I have the Gravdal ice tyres as an option...

-4C! :#
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 27,157

Thank cod I don't have to go out this morning, even though I have the Gravdal ice tyres as an option...

Just out of curiosity, why buy ice tyres if you don't fancy riding in -4C?
    I saved money by not buying the tyres. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • seanoconn
    Nippy -3 ish this morning. Need to invest in some better winter clobber for sub zero but otherwise all good. Reduced speed and braking. Less effort to longer to warm up.
  • pblakeney said:

Thank cod I don't have to go out this morning, even though I have the Gravdal ice tyres as an option...

They were bought so I could safely ride to work in conditions where ice might be possible. Can you join up the dots as to why I might not be riding today? ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

They were bought so I could safely ride to work in conditions where ice might be possible. Can you join up the dots as to why I might not be riding today? ;)
    Thanks!
    As a purely recreational cyclist I often forget that others may have specific reasons. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    Was some around -2.5 as I left this morning - to ride to work as m6 wife needed the car. Roads pretty dry, noice or even frost on the way in, better conditions than some other recent days when it’s been above zero yet road surface has been more sketchy.
    Fingertips got chilly after a few miles but I, and other cyclists I saw this morning saw no reason to just “say fuckit” and jump on the turbo. Can’t get to work that way.
  • MattFalle
    Anyone any suggestions for ultra warm knee warmers? DHB just aren't cutting it but Castelli'd up the rest of me is fine.
  • A Garmin -6C through Richmond Park this morning. Lovely in the sunshine.
  • pblakeney
    MattFalle said:

Anyone any suggestions for ultra warm knee warmers? DHB just aren't cutting it but Castelli'd up the rest of me is fine.

Castelli? 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Castelli? 😉
    😀😀

will have a squiz
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Out last night, -3C. Toes got a bit chilly but nothing unmanageable, otherwise all good. Nice 2 hour (off road) ride.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Castelli? 😉
    Sorpasso Windstopper tights are niiiice.
  • pblakeney

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Castelli? 😉
    But are they sexy? 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Castelli? 😉
    But are they sexy? 😉
    Not with MF’s bumpy legs.
  • MattFalle
    seanoconn said:

pblakeney said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Castelli? 😉
    But are they sexy? 😉
    Not with MF’s bumpy legs.
    🤣🤣🤣😀😀😀

chicks dig scars and bumps, don't you know......