Would you like to be taller?

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608

Elon Musk is 6ft 1.5", if anybody wants to know what the ideal height is.

This ^^ Elon is the next stage in evolution.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608
    mrb123 said:

6'4" here so no. Always felt that 6' to 6'2" would be about right. All the advantages without the eternal struggle to buy trousers that fit.

34 inch + legs here and small waist. Can only buy trousers online.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 222
    6’6” and reckon 2 inches shorter would make life much easier - clothes, bikes, travelling and general comfort in anywhere that isn’t your own home.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001

mrb123 said:

options are severely limited. I imagine it's the same once you get to size 12 or 13 feet.

Yeah, that.

Size 12 feet is ok these days - I think it's the max they tend to stock in pretty much anything.

One of my cousins has size 15s - I imagine he struggles.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    I totally get how people could get a complex.

I'm blissfully average and pretty damn intelligent and devastatingly good looking so I have no issues.

But my brother is 5 6, and has always needed at least another inch and a half of hair. And my dad had a very acute case of small man syndrome.
  • I'm a current rower and 5 10. You just need to move to a smaller boat class.

Well I need to be about 25 years younger too!

I got myself down to be a lightweight for indoor / ergometer competitions, but the onwater lwt limit was just too much to contemplate. And besides, it would have been soooooooo much more fun to be 6'6", 16 stone and able to rip the riggers off boat!
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Well what this thread seems to have proved given by most folks posting history and height. The taller you are, the more of a ****** you are. >:)
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I’m intrigued by where people taller than me are finding decent fitting clothes in ‘normal’ shops.

I reckon size large clothes are made to fit the range 5’10-6’ which means I find everything slightly too short.

Genuine question, where are people buying clothes for say 6-6’2” sizes? I consider this a pretty common height (I most certainly don’t think of myself as tall).

My medium tall wetsuit is the best fitting item I own but I find it hugely impractical to wear most of the time.
  • webboo
    Apparently the average height of males in the Uk and Australia is 5’10”, in the US in 2017 it was 5’9”.
    So clearly you will need to go M to M.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I am 5'6 ( used to be 5'7 ) and my wife was 5'2 so our kids were not going to be 6 footers. When they were about 11 they became aware of their lack of height and we had a bit of a discussion about it. I said if you could chose 3 from 4 of these attributes, intelligence , good looks, healthy and tallish which would you drop . We quickly decided that their height was not important.
    I am biased of course and think I am OK on the first 3 but I do wish I was 6 inches taller.
    The guy who wants his legs breaking does not have a problem with his legs , he has a problem between his ears.
  • morstar
    webboo said:

Apparently the average height of males in the Uk and Australia is 5’10”, in the US in 2017 it was 5’9”.

So against a normal distribution curve, 6’1” is hardly an outlier.

Or are you suggesting all UK clothes should fit only a 5’10” person.

I do find regional differences though. Bolton, where I briefly worked, is like Lilliput compared to where I grew up in Nottingham.
  • morstar
    Surprised at the US being smaller too given the common occurrence of hugely tall people.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    Is that US figure for height or for width?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    seanoconn said:

mrb123 said:

6'4" here so no. Always felt that 6' to 6'2" would be about right. All the advantages without the eternal struggle to buy trousers that fit.

34 inch + legs here and small waist. Can only buy trousers online.
    You don't look that much of a freak
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394

I'm blissfully average and pretty damn intelligent and devastatingly good looking so I have no issues.

But my brother is 5 6, and has always needed at least another inch and a half of hair. And my dad had a very acute case of small man syndrome.

Try being 5,6 with no hair!

I am surprised how common it is to have hair transplants.

You gotta just lean into the body you’ve got. Of course you’d rather be x or y - I’d like to be top percentile good looking and go through life with the halo effect too.

Gotta just work with what you have. If it’s about attraction it’s as much about the confidence and happiness with yourself anyway.

• webboo
    I once was 5’8”, the missus is 5’5” our daughter is 5’ 10”. My wife’s brother was 5’ 9” his wife 5’ 5” and there two boys are 5’11” and 6’. My understanding is that better diet ad living conditions lead to increased height and physical well being.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376
    morstar said:

webboo said:

I do find regional differences though. Bolton, where I briefly worked, is like Lilliput compared to where I grew up in Nottingham.
    Most trousers come in 30/32/34. 34 covers a lot of people that height. Failing that some come in 31/33/35. 35 covers even more people. Those with even longer legs struggle.

• rick_chasey
    It’s also genes, Webboo
  • webboo

It’s also genes, Webboo

Well it’s always been Levi’s on our side of the family. But I think the brother in law was partial to Wranglers.
  • morstar

morstar said:

webboo said:

Most trousers come in 30/32/34. 34 covers a lot of people that height. Failing that some come in 31/33/35. 35 covers even more people. Those with even longer legs struggle.

Trousers are not an issue (for me) for this reason (along with waist sizes).

Tops however do not benefit from the same. I find most shirts and t-shirts frustratingly an inch or two shorter than ideal.
  • First.Aspect

I'm a current rower and 5 10. You just need to move to a smaller boat class.

Well I need to be about 25 years younger too!

I got myself down to be a lightweight for indoor / ergometer competitions, but the onwater lwt limit was just too much to contemplate. And besides, it would have been soooooooo much more fun to be 6'6", 16 stone and able to rip the riggers off boat!
    I don't know. Lwt and competitive rowing both a long time ago now. 20+ years and 10 kg (in fairness that was me compensating for average crew weight after a lot of bran and a bit of sweating).

But it was fun being annoyingly close to the bigger guys on the water, despite a feeble erg score. Or having a perplexing competitive 5k erg score.
  • First.Aspect

You gotta just lean into the body you’ve got. Of course you’d rather be x or y - I’d like to be top percentile good looking and go through life with the halo effect too.

Gotta just work with what you have. If it’s about attraction it’s as much about the confidence and happiness with yourself anyway.

So what struck me at the start of the grauniad article was the statement that heightism is the last societally acceptable prejudice.

Now setting aside that gingerism, baldism, beardytwuntism and moronism are also perfectly acceptable prejudices, I just dismiss this as just snowflake nonsense. About as valid as the bignoseism I have to endure daily. Or cyclistism.

Thoughts? Precious wokey dokey petal? Or is heightism the opression of the last unrecognised minority.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    webboo said:

I once was 5’8”, the missus is 5’5” our daughter is 5’ 10”. My wife’s brother was 5’ 9” his wife 5’ 5” and there two boys are 5’11” and 6’. My understanding is that better diet ad living conditions lead to increased height and physical well being.

Agree. Example: as a 6' 3.5" -er youth in the 70s (clue to my age there) I was unusually Tall. Rare to meet someone same or even taller. Occasional rugby player, auto select for 2nd row. Roll forward, now way too short to be 2nd row (if I still played in my crocked knees oldie status). I regularly encounter same or taller people. So overall people getting taller. And I won't go into the wider fatboi/gurl topic...
  • rick_chasey
    What’s quite interesting is if you look at the stats for dating apps, if you’re a 5,6 man you won’t appear in 85% of women feeds due to height filters.
  • First.Aspect
    edited November 2022

What’s quite interesting is if you look at the stats for dating apps, if you’re a 5,6 man you won’t appear in 85% of women feeds due to height filters.

As an ex rower, I can say that coxswains tend to be female and short, rowers not so much.

This really leads to some odd couples. As in, "will that be safe?" odd.

Those dating sites should take a leaf out of Shimano di2s book and simply prohibit certain ratios.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376

I filtered one once by women who would only date men who earned over $250k. Was genuinely interested in what sort of woman would set such a standard.

• First.Aspect

I filtered one once by women who would only date men who earned over $250k. Was genuinely interested in what sort of woman would set such a standard.

Women who have previously dated a man who earned over $250k?
  • webboo

So what struck me at the start of the grauniad article was the statement that heightism is the last societally acceptable prejudice.

Now setting aside that gingerism, baldism, beardytwuntism and moronism are also perfectly acceptable prejudices, I just dismiss this as just snowflake nonsense. About as valid as the bignoseism I have to endure daily. Or cyclistism.

Thoughts? Precious wokey dokey petal? Or is heightism the opression of the last unrecognised minority.
    You’ve missed out tw@tism and c@ntism.
  • First.Aspect
    Fatism. Also fine. Almost a polite observation in fact.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    webboo said:

My understanding is that better diet ad living conditions lead to increased height and physical well being.

I think there's an element of truth to that, as 'loon says above there are a lot more tall people around now. The lad was always right at the top of all the growth charts when he was a kid, over the 99 percentile, but lots of his friends were a similar height. If he was as much of an outlier as the charts suggested it would have been strange to have any friends the same height, let alone several with a few taller.