Comments

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,159
    https://youtu.be/ryDOy3AosBw

I wish I was little bit taller
    I wish I was a baller
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,063
    As someone who is slightly taller than average at 6' 1" maybe I don't get it but why would anyone put themselves through that to get longer legs? They're now just going to be out of proportion surely?
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,395
    Looks very unpleasant, and bloody expensive. Lucky I'm not a shortarse.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,500
    edited November 2022
    Whilst an extra inch or two (of height, fnarr) would be nice, I think people have no real idea what recovering from major surgery and broken bones is actually like.

Evening leg length is one thing, but the surgeons doing this to anyone who is 5ft 6in and otherwise healthy should be struck off.
  • As a short bloke, never had an issue with it and never understood men who do (it always seems to be short men who have a problem with their height, not women!). I think it comes down to ideas of machismo and feeling physically inferior to other dudes, and also the myth that women only want tall men. Feel genuinely sorry for people who are really affected by it and are shelling out money and going through surgery, just seems pointless.

Also found there are numerous benefits:

- Never have to worry about leg room on planes, public transport.
    - Buying clothes and bike frames on sale is easy and much cheaper as smaller sizes aren't as popular.
    - Low centre of gravity is a marvel for all manner of physical activities (greater stability you see).
    - If you ever get into bother with people you can kick them in the shins and run through their legs to escape!
    - Hide and seek is a piece of p!!s
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,394
    Got to be pretty messed up to want to go through that.

I’m a shortarse and no.

• In the past yes, now that I do hill climbs, I wish I was shorter...
    left the forum March 2023
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    6'4" here so no. Always felt that 6' to 6'2" would be about right. All the advantages without the eternal struggle to buy trousers that fit.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,768
    edited November 2022
    orraloon said:

https://youtu.be/ryDOy3AosBw

I wish I was little bit taller
    I wish I was a baller

Cracking tack that...Rabbit in a hat...
  • First.Aspect

Got to be pretty messed up to want to go through that.

I’m a shortarse and no.

You would think that the hippocratic oath would be more consistent with a referral to counselling than to a brochure on credit and payment options.
  • TBH that's no different from any other completely unnecessary cosmetic surgery on lips, boobs, @rses etc. I'd ban anything which was not medically justified. Things like Love Island as quoted in the article are a big part of the problem, although why anyone would want to resemble those preening, pouting, depilated vacuous tw@ts is beyond me.

I'm 5'6" and always been completely happy in my small but perfectly formed skin. When I fall off my bike I hit the ground sooner but with a lot less force than a 6 footer...
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    Nope, 6’1” and off the peg clothes are never really quite long enough. If I were any taller it’d be even worse.
    Go up a size and things get wider but no longer.

Agree completely that vanity surgery is a curse. I feel the trend to de stigmatise such practices is a bad one. It shouldn’t be normal to butcher yourself in pursuit of somebody else’s idea of beauty. I much preferred it when people were embarrassed to talk openly about cosmetic surgery.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,673
    I've lost about an inch as I've aged, I'd quite happily regain that if it meant my back wasn't screwed so I got less pain. I'm still about 6'1" which is enough.
    mrb123 said:

6'4" here so no. Always felt that 6' to 6'2" would be about right. All the advantages without the eternal struggle to buy trousers that fit.

I always thought the 6'4" was as tall as you could get and still be in the realms of normal for clothes. Son is just under that and usually manages, his legs are marginally shorter than mine. 6'4" and long in the leg would create more problems.

- If you ever get into bother with people you can kick them in the shins and run through their legs to escape!

That made me chuckle
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,372
    At 6ft, I still bang my head in my own house from time to time, so definitely no.
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,768
    edited November 2022
    Elon Musk is 6ft 1.5", if anybody wants to know what the ideal height is.
  • Elon Musk is 6ft 1.5", if anybody wants to know what the ideal height is.

And he would know what that is?
  • I'm 6'1" and as an ex-rower, have spent a lot of my adult life wishing I'd been 6'4" - 6'6".
  • First.Aspect
    I'm a current rower and 5 10. You just need to move to a smaller boat class.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    There are many things I'd rather be than a bit taller, despite being of distinctly average height. I'd rather not break my legs either, thank you very much.
  • Surely he'd always be known as the guy who broke his own legs to be a bit taller.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,376
    mrb123 said:

This although it would be due to other irritations.
  • Hmmm, interesting. Do they not realise that when they look in the mirror naked after stretching their legs, that their cock will then look smaller!!

Leg stretching and penis enhancement it is then, lol.

• paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    When I was younger and living at home with my parents I was taller than both of them and my sister.
    It was only when I went out amongst other people that I realised I was shorter than most.
    But so what.

Must be awful if being short so colours your life that you would go for surgery to correct it as once that problem is "fixed" another will probably be waiting e.g. going bald, wearing glasses, getting fat.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,001
    Happy as I am (just under 6'2) though I do have short legs/long torso so could probably get away with a bit extra. I wonder if anyone has had the full 6" added just for vanity reasons - they'd look like they were on stilts.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787

I've lost about an inch as I've aged, I'd quite happily regain that if it meant my back wasn't screwed so I got less pain. I'm still about 6'1" which is enough.

mrb123 said:

I always thought the 6'4" was as tall as you could get and still be in the realms of normal for clothes. Son is just under that and usually manages, his legs are marginally shorter than mine. 6'4" and long in the leg would create more problems.

That made me chuckle
    Yeah, once you get past 34" leg the options are severely limited. I imagine it's the same once you get to size 12 or 13 feet.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    pep.fermi said:
    Heck no. I hit my head on enough door jambs, have enough trouble finding bikes that fit, and have enough trouble to find clothes already
    (at 6ft 6 1/2)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k

As a short bloke,

- Hide and seek is a piece of p!!s

Lol, yep, definately i suck at those as a tall bloke!
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    mrb123 said:

options are severely limited. I imagine it's the same once you get to size 12 or 13 feet.

Yeah, that.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608
    Oops, think I’ve stumbled into the how tall are you thread by mistake.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,608

I'm a current cox and 5 10. You just need to move to a smaller boat class.

FTFY
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי