Musky

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,532
    edited November 2022
    He's just applying his ego maniac style to try and make money.

I mean, it's what he did at Tesla. Let someone else found it and build the basics, then spend loads of money acquiring ownership and sticking himself in as CEO, and then running into a host of problems around culture, creative accounting, workers right violations and building in technical problems with the product.

The challenge is that the macro environment is not seeing the future of the world where twitter is the market leader in a critical part of a medium term shift to sustainable living.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I think he has a proven record in achieving results in a manufacturing environment.
    Part of that may involve questionable steps but there is no doubt in my mind he can repeat that.

Twitter is an entirely different sector. It does look like Hubris.

But I think he realised that the moment he tried to back out of the deal.
  • His attempt to use verified accounts to mean something of lower quality but higher short term profitability but long term brand value destruction remind me of Mike Ashley and his approach to buying brands.
  • morstar

His attempt to use verified accounts to mean something of lower quality but higher short term profitability but long term brand value destruction remind me of Mike Ashley and his approach to buying brands.

Interesting parallel.

Although Mike Ashley did buy brands for sweet FA when they were struggling.

Any inherent brand value was virtually free so the devaluation was just a gradual reduction in goodwill and likely less than he gained from the purchase.

Musk paid top dollar for Twitter.
  • morstar said:

His attempt to use verified accounts to mean something of lower quality but higher short term profitability but long term brand value destruction remind me of Mike Ashley and his approach to buying brands.

Interesting parallel.

Although Mike Ashley did buy brands for sweet FA when they were struggling.

Any inherent brand value was virtually free so the devaluation was just a gradual reduction in goodwill and likely less than he gained from the purchase.

Musk paid top dollar for Twitter.
    That's true.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,475
    morstar said:

I think he has a proven record in achieving results in a manufacturing environment.
    Part of that may involve questionable steps but there is no doubt in my mind he can repeat that.

I can't work out if his mismanagement of Twitter so far is just hubris and overconfidence in his own brilliance, or whether he's actually trying to kill it, not actually really having wanted to buy it. The latter would seem odd, given what he would lose financially, but I almost wonder if he wants to be rid of it, and is so rich he doesn't care about losing billions.
  • morstar

morstar said:

I can't work out if his mismanagement of Twitter so far is just hubris and overconfidence in his own brilliance, or whether he's actually trying to kill it, not actually really having wanted to buy it. The latter would seem odd, given what he would lose financially, but I almost wonder if he wants to be rid of it, and is so rich he doesn't care about losing billions.
    I could see how he could have quickly lost interest.

Goes in with grand plans of free speech. Quickly realises the realities of how he can’t just unshackle it.
  • briantrumpet
    morstar said:

morstar said:

I could see how he could have quickly lost interest.

Goes in with grand plans of free speech. Quickly realises the realities of how he can’t just unshackle it.

Sounds plausible.
  • morstar said:

If the company goes bankrupt, twitter the app doesn't vanish though, does it? Someone buys it at a more reasonable cost, doesn't treat the users as if they are an inconvenience and it makes enough money again.
  • This "additional context" is only visible to US users, but I can't imagine he would appreciate this:

• pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,596

morstar said:

If the company goes bankrupt, twitter the app doesn't vanish though, does it? Someone buys it at a more reasonable cost, doesn't treat the users as if they are an inconvenience and it makes enough money again.
    Generally speaking twitter isn't actually profitable is it? Not most years.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • morstar
    pangolin said:

morstar said:

Generally speaking twitter isn't actually profitable is it? Not most years.
    I think this is the entire conundrum.
    How can something of so much ‘value’ have such a minimal return?

I think the reality probably requires that it does shrink to a degree in order to pay for itself. I.e. ultimately a load of freeloaders get cut off from the full service if it is to make money.

Strava did it around 3 years ago. I don’t see this as any different. Invest lots into your product and eventually make it pay by no longer giving it all away for free. It’s also not dissimilar to what all publishers have had to do with their online content.

The alternative is some clever way to grow advertising revenues. I’m sure people have been trying that for years. Musks’ Truss like revolutionary approach wasn’t the stuff of genius it was purported to be.
  • It's had steady revenue growth - but that's not going to butter $44bn worth of parsnips.

• briantrumpet
    Sounds like he's bored with his shiny new toy, and doesn't like, well, actually having to do any work to make it better. I'm not sure that laying off a lot of the workforce and trying to change everything, and then having to change it back again is going to make it any easier.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/nov/14/elon-musk-twitter-job-cuts-tesla-takeover
  • He's just applying his ego maniac style to try and make money.

I mean, it's what he did at Tesla. Let someone else found it and build the basics, then spend loads of money acquiring ownership and sticking himself in as CEO, and then running into a host of problems around culture, creative accounting, workers right violations and building in technical problems with the product.

The challenge is that the macro environment is not seeing the future of the world where twitter is the market leader in a critical part of a medium term shift to sustainable living.

Could you translate that last sentence for me please
  • I'm convinced he thinks

Twitter isn't Tesla.

• For those of us who don’t do Twitter could you confirm whether that means Twitter borrowed lots of money to pay Elon the money that he borrowed to buy Twitter?
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,936

For those of us who don’t do Twitter could you confirm whether that means Twitter borrowed lots of money to pay Elon the money that he borrowed to buy Twitter?
    Sounds like he is doing a Glazer style buyout if so.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney said:

For those of us who don’t do Twitter could you confirm whether that means Twitter borrowed lots of money to pay Elon the money that he borrowed to buy Twitter?
    I don't understand how this works at all. He bought the company using $13bn that the company that he's bought now owes to banks.
  • pblakeney
    edited November 2022

pblakeney said:

I don't understand how this works at all. He bought the company using $13bn that the company that he's bought now owes to banks.
    Ask Man-U supporters. Some wonder how a profitable club is now millions in debt*.
    For others it is just ignorance is bliss. It's all financial sleight of hand, ie dodgy but legal.

*Peaked at £700m. £495m end of 2021.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,484

pblakeney said:

Which bit is confusing?

Some of the $13m is secured against other stuff.

• pblakeney said:

Which bit is confusing?

Who borrowed the money?
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022

Twitter isn't tesla, and tesla is only doing well because it got the march on battery powered cars. If it wasn't for the consensus that we're moving to battery powered cars, every investor would think the company itself is dogsh!t.

They like it *in spite of* Musk and how it is run, not because - despite what his army of twitter fanbois (and Focus) say. The company itself isn't great, tonnes of red flags from poor manufacturing, poor quality control, remarkable problems with scalability, geopolitical risks (from where they get their refined metals from for their batteries), cultural problems, bullying, weird governance (why were they buying crypto?), and weird funky behaviour in the financial derivatives world.
  • He's just applying his ego maniac style to try and make money.

Twitter isn't tesla, and tesla is only doing well because it got the march on battery powered cars. If it wasn't for the consensus that we're moving to battery powered cars, every investor would think the company itself is dogsh!t.

They like it *in spite of* Musk and how it is run, not because - despite what his army of twitter fanbois (and Focus) say. The company itself isn't great, tonnes of red flags from poor manufacturing, poor quality control, remarkable problems with scalability, geopolitical risks (from where they get their refined metals from for their batteries), cultural problems, bullying, weird governance (why were they buying crypto?), and weird funky behaviour in the financial derivatives world.
    The fawkin cheek of it!

I would retort but I'm fresh out of mojo and I've said it all before anyway.

Musk slept on the shop floor to get the model three's production right...yad da dah...How many CEO's have done that...

Nobody bleeds for the King in his Castles. Musk has sold all his Castles and is constantly on/in the coal face.

Again, I've said all this before.

As a Country we need Musk's.
  • Growth Rick, we need growth to improve our Countries balance of payments. If we don't Countries akin to China will take that business/market share.
  • pblakeney

Growth Rick, we need growth to improve our Countries balance of payments. If we don't Countries akin to China will take that business/market share.

I think you will find that has already been done.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney said:

Growth Rick, we need growth to improve our Countries balance of payments. If we don't Countries akin to China will take that business/market share.

I think you will find that has already been done.
    Yeah, sure, but you have to "desalinate" the decline.
  • rick_chasey
    edited November 2022
    Musk didn't even found the company. He bought it in 2004 and made himself ceo in 2008
  • pblakeney said:

Which bit is confusing?

Who borrowed the money?
    exactly - did Twitter borrow $13bn to pay Musk back or is it his debt
  • Musk didn't even found the company. He bought it in 2004 and made himself ceo in 2008

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tesla,_Inc.

Read up on in Rick. I'm too low on mojo to do any salient quoting.