Musky

Comments

• focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,901
    morstar said:

Level 3 is known as conditional driving automation. It uses various driver assistance systems and artificial intelligence to make decisions based on changing driving situations around the vehicle. People inside the vehicle do not need to supervise the technology, which means they can engage in other activities.
    I’m on the side of thinking it will happen. I don’t agree the tech is anything like mature enough though.

There should literally be millions of vehicles globally gathering data on actions and outcomes before the AI’s can have enough variables to programme them effectively to be consistently better than humans in most cases.

That simply isn’t the case.

Software development is iterative. Make it work within modest parameters that you can perceive. Learn where it fails and fix the bugs. Even mature tech drops massive clangers. Autonomous driving tech is advanced but it’s not at all mature.
    It's just time we're talking about though. I bet already if nothing else the background monitoring has already saved thousands of lives as it is.
  • focuszing723
    rjsterry said:

FZ, you should read up on the history of railway safety. There are a few good books on the subject but tl;dr, it's as Pinno describes. An iterative series of people saying such and such will never happen, then it happens and everyone realises that of course trains need X to operate safely.

Yeah, ummmm.

No, I don't want to.
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,602

rjsterry said:

FZ, you should read up on the history of railway safety. There are a few good books on the subject but tl;dr, it's as Pinno describes. An iterative series of people saying such and such will never happen, then it happens and everyone realises that of course trains need X to operate safely.

Yeah, ummmm.

No, I don't want to.
    Think if it as reading the early history of the hyperloop if that helps
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • Have you seen the video of the tesla loop at Las Vegas?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    edited January 2023

Have you seen the video of the tesla loop at Las Vegas?

It's like a really inefficient tube, but extra unsafe as there's no obvious regular fire exits or safety tunnels in parallel.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,148
    Part of a road safety conference I went to was a seminar on autonomous cars and one of the speakers was a psychologist talking about the ethical sideof things if a collision is imminent. Humans tend to err towards self-preservation rather than decisions that would have the minimal overall impact. As an example, that we've probably all seen as cyclists, a driver overtakes a bike and finds themselves struggling to get back in with another car oncoming so pulls back in on the cyclist. The algorithms in the car might still calculate that's the better option as it would be one potential casualty (cyclist) or two (both drivers) but have a different decision if the car was overtaking a group of cyclists. On the other hand a driver might make a decision to avoid a collision with a parent pushing a baby who steps into the road by swerving and hitting other people whereas an algorithm wouldn't discriminate. It was quite an interesting subject but from memory not very well presented meaning I switched off a bit.

An ex-colleague of mine now works for National Highways where her entire role is looking at adapting the trunk road network for autonomous vehicles. My own feeling is that fully autonomous is still decades away but that we'll see a gradual move to "driver assistance".

Level 1 autonomy is already pretty common and I think we'll stall for quite a while at Level 2 at most. For me levels 2-4 (possibly less so level 4) are actually the highest risk areas as there's an element of ambiguity of whether the human or vehicle are in control but the infrastructure will have to adapt gradually as autonomy gets phased in.
  • Have you seen the video of the tesla loop at Las Vegas?

It's like a really inefficient tube, but extra unsafe as there's no obvious regular fire exits or safety tunnels in parallel.
    It's an embarrassment is what it is.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    admittedly its all just random numbers on a bit of paper but mad stuff.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • Does he have a patreon?
  • Does he have a patreon?

Actually, that's twitter blue, isn't it?
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2023

On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of agnosticism towards greatness. This thread scores very high.

The thing is, you all wouldn't be able to do what you are doing now without greatness and the evolution of technology.

Like I keep saying, you'd be stuck in a cave p1ss1n about with wicker $h1t.

Please, stop using the Internet if you're apposed to greatness. Praise the greatness which has afforded you this liberty.

• On a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of agnosticism towards greatness. This thread scores very high.

The thing is, you all wouldn't be able to do what you are doing now without greatness and the evolution of technology.

Like I keep saying, you'd be stuck in a cave p1ss1n about with wicker $h1t.

Please, stop using the Internet if you're apposed to greatness. Praise the greatness which has afforded you this liberty.

Which of these things did Musk invent?

His latest couple of things are a less safe tube train with a driver for every three passengers, and a worse version of twitter.

• I'd expect autonomous cars to be a thing in the next 10 years fwiw.

At some point they will be proven to make fewer mistakes than drivers, but I doubt we will get that level of trust while Hawkeye in cricket still relies on the umpire's call.
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2023

I'd expect autonomous cars to be a thing in the next 10 years fwiw.

At some point they will be proven to make fewer mistakes than drivers, but I doubt we will get that level of trust while Hawkeye in cricket still relies on the umpire's call.

They are already saving accidents/lives now as a backup when Humans are being incompetent for many reasons.
  • I'd expect autonomous cars to be a thing in the next 10 years fwiw.

They are already saving accidents/lives now as a backup when Humans are being incompetent for many reasons.
    No they aren't. There's no autonomous vehicle on the UK roads that detects when a driver has had a heart attack and drives them straight to hospital (and waits outside with them).

There's driver assistance technologies, obviously.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited January 2023
    And there are some driverless taxis and driverless vehicles being tested in a few places in America.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,625
    Musk's whole bit isn't inventing anything new.

It's getting existing technology and securing a boatload of financing and investment to make it commercially viable.

He's a walking case for the value of R&D, rather than some mad scientist.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511

And there are some driverless taxis and driverless vehicles being tested in a few places in America.

They are trying one in my part of France too, but I have to admit that I've not seen one in action, so no idea if it's died a death.

http://www.mairie-crest.fr/Lancement-de-la-navette-autonome.html
  • focuszing723

Musk's whole bit isn't inventing anything new.

It's getting existing technology and securing a boatload of financing and investment to make it commercially viable.

He's a walking case for the value of R&D, rather than some mad scientist.

Where would Apple be without Steve Jobs?

You've just wasted time and you shouldn't be allowed to used anything technologically base, let alone the Internet.

Again, where do you think all this greatness come from?

Also, you forget Musk wrote/helped write the code for Zip2, so it's not as though he's just a people pusher.

He's slept on the shop floor. He isn't a King in his castle CEO.

Praise the greatness. If not, stop using the Interent.

Like NOW!
  • focuszing723
    edited January 2023

The majority of you shouldn't be using anything more evolved than this.

That's at a push too.
  • focuszing723
    Actually, all you should be using is your feet.

• You've just wasted time and you shouldn't be allowed to used anything technologically base, let alone the Internet.

So your argument is that unless you acknowledge the greatness of this particular circus ringmaster, you shouldn't be allowed to use a lot of technology he had nothing to do with?

It doesn't seem a very balanced approach.
  • focuszing723

You've just wasted time and you shouldn't be allowed to used anything technologically base, let alone the Internet.

So your argument is that unless you acknowledge the greatness of this particular circus ringmaster, you shouldn't be allowed to use a lot of technology he had nothing to do with?

Yes.

Why are you still typing?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,756
    edited January 2023

Yes.

Why are you still typing?
    Because you aren't in charge.

Why are you? You didn't invent the internet.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195
    Then I saw his face, now I'm a believer
    Not a trace of doubt in my mind
    I'm in love
    I'm a believer, I couldn't leave him if I tried
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,511
    I'm just trying to work out if it's an act or genuine.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

The Monkees?

Started out as an act, turned genuine
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,086

It certainly has comedic value.
    I'm entertained and I haven't even stirred it up.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • I'm just trying to work out if it's an act or genuine.

Too much self awareness to be a real muskovite.