La Vuelta 2022 - Stage 15:- Martos - Sierra Nevada. Alto Hoya de la Mora. 153km ***Spoilers***

124»

Comments

• He's going to have to blow much worse on gradients much less harsh and only up to 1827m max over the next week to lose it now.

The third week is completely underwhelming compared to the previous two weeks climbs.
    Without exception, they are low gradient drags.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross said:

After yesterday remco may feel ok with that

Think he got off lightly unless Roglic had been struggling until the final km. I was surprised Roglic didn’t go shortly after Mas.
    If he had it he would have gone with mas
    Yes, just before that, there was a moment when there was a little gap between O'connor and Roglic. He was on the limit at that point.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,931

He's going to have to blow much worse on gradients much less harsh and only up to 1827m max over the next week to lose it now.

Jumbo will have to get creative
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • He's going to have to blow much worse on gradients much less harsh and only up to 1827m max over the next week to lose it now.

The third week is completely underwhelming compared to the previous two weeks climbs.
    Without exception, they are low gradient drags.
    There is only one real summit finish which is Thursday. Wednesday is a hill really. Friday has two decent climbs but the second tops out a long way from the finish. Saturday has a flat few Kms after the final climb. Roglic needed more today. He clearly didn’t have it.

I thought Remco would lose the jersey after yesterday. He will be feeling much better now.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    Race is over barring illness or injury.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,726
    Remco still has to do a 3rd week in a GT. But yeah, looks decided barring the C-word or offski.
  • mididoctors
    The time trial was super important
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • pblakeney said:

He is already injured and not procen over three weeks, so it's not over yet.

He does have to have a Simon Yates in the giro style day though.
  • pblakeney said:

He is already injured and not procen over three weeks, so it's not over yet.

He does have to have a Simon Yates in the giro style day though.
    Yates lost about 40 minutes that day didn’t he? So no, he doesn’t need to have that.

If Roglic wins two stages, it’s 75 more seconds he needs to find. Difficult, not impossible.
  • Penultimate stage has a climb followed by a flat finish of several km on a plateau - if Roglic can get a gap on the climb and riders up the road to work with him on the plateau theoretically there's a chance but there's a lot that has to go right for that to happen.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Penultimate stage has a climb followed by a flat finish of several km on a plateau - if Roglic can get a gap on the climb and riders up the road to work with him on the plateau theoretically there's a chance but there's a lot that has to go right for that to happen.

It can happen. Remember this?

1▲1 ARU Fabio Astana Pro Team 83:01:40
    2▲1 RODRÍGUEZ Joaquim Team Katusha 1:17
    3▲1 MAJKA Rafał Tinkoff - Saxo 1:29
    4▲1 QUINTANA Nairo Movistar Team 2:02
    5▲2 CHAVES Esteban Orica GreenEDGE 3:30
    6▼5 DUMOULIN Tom Team Giant - Alpecin 3:46

Tom Dumoulin lost almost 4 minutes to Fabio Aru that penultimate day, back in 2015.
    It was the first GT that Tom had ridden with the stated intention of going for the GC.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,910
    It's made interesting by the relative weaknesses of both Quickstep and Jumbo teams. Both are down to 6 riders and neither has anyone else inside the top 30. These days that's pretty unheard of. This has been compounded by teams that do have numbers, like UAE and Ineos, not really having leaders who are on the same level. Mas does appear to be but he only has Valverde in the top 30, and he's never really been that good a team mate.

So it's really been man against man among the leaders rather than teams doing a number.
  • mididoctors
    Might see riders trying to juggle the the top 10 in GC . Possibly mix things up thou largely tends to aid the jersey. Hard to say if ag2r helped or hindered the jersey that day