TDF 2022:- Stage 20: Lacapelle Marival - Rocamadour, 40.7Km ***Spoilers***

123457»

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,193

I think the 4 Road medals at Olympics & world's (2 gold) is the top trump, but I'm nearly swayed by the silver in the Lanterne.

What about Gold at the Commonwealth Games?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    If G wants the top spot he's got to win PR or Flanders IMO...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • r0bh said:

I think the 4 Road medals at Olympics & world's (2 gold) is the top trump, but I'm nearly swayed by the silver in the Lanterne.

What about Gold at the Commonwealth Games?
    The Commonwealths are minor in the scheme of road cycling, and I say that as a fan of the event. That said, the upcoming three-way ITT battle between G, Rohan Dennis and Ethan Hayter looks world class (like an improved version of 2014, albeit that had Dowsett instead of Hayter).
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

gsk82 said:

We expecting WvA to win yeah?

Yup I reckon so. Then again tomorrow.
    Philipsen will win tomorrow
    For once, I called it
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited July 2022

There seems to be some controversy on Cycling Journalist twitter over this disclosure

Never heard of the guy to be honest

I see a lot of Benjis stuff.

He/LR (which I think is him and this Patrick chap, who I dont see as much of), have a decent number of subscribers.

It's all massively naive on his part to be honest.

Like he made a bunch of other posts pushing for Uno-x to be at the Tour after they'd had the head of Uno-x on his podcast. Was that paid? Who knows now.

As above G saying his wkg numbers were bollocks now looks like he might have posted them in bad faith rather than just being wrong...
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 283

There seems to be some controversy on Cycling Journalist twitter over this disclosure

Never heard of the guy to be honest

I see a lot of Benjis stuff.

He/LR (which I think is him and this Patrick chap, who I dont see as much of), have a decent number of subscribers.

It's all massively naive on his part to be honest.

Like he made a bunch of other posts pushing for Uno-x to be at the Tour after they'd had the head of Uno-x on his podcast. Was that paid? Who knows now.

As above G saying his wkg numbers were bollocks now looks like he might have posted them in bad faith rather than just being wrong...
    I listen to the podcast at times and it seems to be full of some bad takes/wild predictions from both of them and some severely aussie tinted glasses from the guy Patrick
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    edited July 2022

I'd rank British Cycling as

1 Cav
    2 Froome
    3 Thomas
    4 Wiggins

But that will be a minority view

I struggle to see froome as British tbh separate argument I guess .. stipulating that I would agree with this list ..but close to flipping cav and froome
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,805
    Froome gives the most boring interviews . Cav g and Wiggins all gave above average interviews.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612

Froome gives the most boring interviews . Cav g and Wiggins all gave above average interviews.

Underrated quality in sports people.

Wiggins was a little too petulant as a rider to be pure box office, but guys like Cav and Lance are just magnetic TV. You always got something out of a Lance interview, even if it was a boring flat stage (of which there were many in those days). Same with Cav - especially if things aren't going his way.

Guys like Tankink are much bigger profile than their palmares or abilities would suggest because they were always up and good value for an interview. He's now got a regular slot on Belgian post-cycling talk shows, and good for him.

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    zest28 said:

Egan Bernal might as well retire now.

The climber of TJV (58kg Jonas) is a top tier ITT also. Bernal can do nothing against that.

It sounds boringly sensible but time will tell. Ineos certainly seem to have lost whatever edge over the opposition they used to have but Bernal hasn't really been injury free for an extended period for quite a long time when you think he has

If it's judged on how entertaining they were in the media I'd say Wiggins and Cav some way in front. I've actually warmed to Froome a bit - we don't hear much from him but when we do he's fairly opinionated which I like - he just doesn't have that need to be in the spotlight whereas I think the other two do - for me Thomas is struggling to make the time cut on this one.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]