TDF 2022:- Stage 20: Lacapelle Marival - Rocamadour, 40.7Km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Why are people surprised JV can do a late GT time trial?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,737

Isn’t it more they’ve won the last 3 stages which could not be more different, as well as securing every jersey available to them?
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100

Isn’t it more they’ve won the last 3 stages which could not be more different, as well as securing every jersey available to them?
    This. Plus the fact that they've been so dominant with, for the most part, a team that was predominantly TJV for years or picked up from seeming mediocrity and transformed into a world beater.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 7,203
    edited July 2022

It's great to see Vingegaard congratulate the best rider.
  • tailwindhome

Sorry, meant JV as Jonas V rather than Jumbo Visma...really should learn how to spell his surname

With the qualifier that I've been busy at work and haven't watched every stage, and not wishing to downplay a strong performance from the team I'd say that once it was clear MVDP wasn't on form the Green Jersey was over as a competition.

It's also my perception, that the GC race was fought at the front of the race rather than 10 minutes behind....which favours the mountain jersey going to a gc contender
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    Tough year for sprinters
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,864
    phreak said:

orraloon said:

zest28 said:

Even at his current 78kg weight, he is a top tier climber.

Nah, he's a 2nd division climber, he's not suited to the bigger and high altitude climbs. He did good work on the Hautacam stage but would not win such. Otherwise and overall he is one of the best, of all time?
    Seems like he could do a Jalabert 1995 without breaking sweat.

Sorry, meant JV as Jonas V rather than Jumbo Visma...really should learn how to spell his surname

With the qualifier that I've been busy at work and haven't watched every stage, and not wishing to downplay a strong performance from the team I'd say that once it was clear MVDP wasn't on form the Green Jersey was over as a competition.

It's also my perception, that the GC race was fought at the front of the race rather than 10 minutes behind....which favours the mountain jersey going to a gc contender
    Yeah the demands of breaking each other on GC made the GC racing start early .

Attacking on the telegraph was unexpected but set the tone
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    Pog in top 3 in yellow, white and green

4th place on mountain points, level with Ciconne on 61pts...must be some sort of count back.

• tailwindhome
    If WVA and JV fail to finish, Pog would be Green , White and Yellow🤣
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Jonas gifted it 😱

Sepp Kuss to win the Champs Elysees sprint tomorrow.

Jonas gifted it 😱

Considering he came very close to not making Paris on that decent, it would have been silly to keep pushing after such a scare.
    He was almost down by then, the big time drop was in the last km of the climb. Wout's interview hinted the same
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor

My surprise was how hard he pushed it, including on the descents. I nearly hid behind the sofa. He was really clean through the corners though. We knew from last year that he's got a solid TT and lasts well over 3 weeks.
  • rick_chasey
    Tell you what. WvA gives some f@cking boring interviews.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Thought everyone was supposed to be outraged because he got the hump with a journalist asking the doping question? Maybe the team just gave him the 5 minute refresher course in boring the media to death
  • rick_chasey
    edited July 2022

Thought everyone was supposed to be outraged because he got the hump with a journalist asking the doping question? Maybe the team just gave him the 5 minute refresher course in boring the media to death
    I’m only watching the Dutch and Belgian interviews and 😴😴😴😴

What does Ned Boulting call it? Universal interviews?
  • No_Ta_Doctor

I’m only watching the Dutch and Belgian interviews and 😴😴😴😴

What does Ned Boulting call it? Universal interviews?
    Universal cycling language. "The legs were good today, yeh? It was a hard day, yeh? We'll see how the legs are tomorrow, yeh?"

For the record, Jonas is pretty boring as well, except for snot-crying in relief.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Bardet and Gaudu finished the tt in exactly the same time
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    ie too slow
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • There seems to be some controversy on Cycling Journalist twitter over this disclosure

Never heard of the guy to be honest

This does make G calling their w/kg numbers a load of rubbish earlier in the tour funnier
  • tailwindhome
    Geraint Thomas is underrated in the ranking of British Cyclists IMHO

He has arguably a better palmares than Wiggins

• No_Ta_Doctor

I love GT and he has a fantastic palmares, but that's a pretty tough argument to make
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157

People sometimes forget that Wiggins also had a third place in the Tour and a second place in the Vuelta (both after DQs)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • tailwindhome

I love GT and he has a fantastic palmares, but that's a pretty tough argument to make
    He has a better Grand Tour record, a better 1 week record and better 1 day record

In Wiggins favour is a world TT championship and 5 Olympic gold v 2

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585

Not really. He has a win, second (that could have easily been a second win) and a third. Wiggins has a win and a third (following a DQ) at the Tour and second (following a DQ) at the Vuelta all despite his well publicised misfortunes that probably cost him high placings especially at the Giro. I would argue his one day results and his Tour stage wins show him as a more complete rider.

Thomas also managed 2nd in the lanterne rouge in his very first Tour which trumps anything Wiggins managed.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    I think the 4 Road medals at Olympics & world's (2 gold) is the top trump, but I'm nearly swayed by the silver in the Lanterne.
  • tailwindhome
    Wiggins phenomenal 2012 distorts the comparison
  • tailwindhome
    I'd rank British Cycling as

1 Cav
    2 Froome
    3 Thomas
    4 Wiggins

But that will be a minority view
  • tailwindhome
    Thomas has done more in a Welsh Jersey than Wiggins in an English Jersey
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,585

I'd rank British Cycling as

1 Cav
    2 Froome
    3 Thomas
    4 Wiggins

But that will be a minority view

I wouldn't disagree with that. Thomas and Wiggins are very close, Wiggins will obviously always have that first British Tour winner tag and has the better track pedigree. I think Thomas edges it on the road for me just because he is a slightly more all-round rider whereas Wiggins was very much built around his TT ability with that ability to hold on in the mountains.