TDF 2022:- Stage 15: Rodez - Carcassonne 202.5km. ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,931
    Probably for the best
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,951

Fell asleep and next I know Kruiswijk is going in the back of an ambulance.

Correlation isn't causation
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    Excellent social meedja work here...

What a crazy stage. After all that a fairly standard transition stage sprint. Fair Play to Phillipson.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,339
    Christian Prudhomme himself was there to greet Mørkøv over the line
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
  • mididoctors
    Throwing shapes
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Just saw Morkov's interview on ITV4. He says he wasn't feeling great after yesterday but basically he couldn't cope with the heat.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Fuglsang broke a rib. I doubt he'll be starting on Tuesday
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Mørkøv did 185km solo, missed the cut by 12 minutes
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Do we think Primoz will ever win the TdF or be more like Nairo with Giro/Vuelta wins?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    amrushton said:

Do we think Primoz will ever win the TdF or be more like Nairo with Giro/Vuelta wins?

Can't see it myself.
    He's 32, the oldest Tour winner was 36, 100 years ago. It's possible it could happen with a Jumbo Visma double captain attack, but I think only Vingegaard can actually match Pog in the mountains
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    r0bh said:

Not sure Vingegaard used his team well there. Got two sent back and then closed the gap himself, dropped his teammates and sitting alone now

Vingegaard does seem to maybe panic a bit and close gaps faster and with more expenditure of energy than perhaps he needs to. Like at the start yesterday he shot past everyone else to get back to Pog when he probably didn't need to
    Esp when Wout was up there. No way Pog was going solo
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,471
    amrushton said:

r0bh said:

Not sure Vingegaard used his team well there. Got two sent back and then closed the gap himself, dropped his teammates and sitting alone now

Vingegaard does seem to maybe panic a bit and close gaps faster and with more expenditure of energy than perhaps he needs to. Like at the start yesterday he shot past everyone else to get back to Pog when he probably didn't need to
    Esp when Wout was up there. No way Pog was going solo
    I bet they'd go 2up if he promised wva the stage.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    edited July 2022
    Avondetappe calling out Sagan for some dodgy direction changes mid sprint.

Jakobsen (the guest) calling him out for being too slow and too desperate to surf the wheels deep in the sprint.

Jakobsen “Mads and Wout like to start early so as a pure sprinter I want their wheel. I don’t want Sagan’s as he can’t keep up”

He also explains how Mads and Wout are “complete athletes” and they are sprinting so well because they find that final KM so much easier.

“I’m already hurting by the time I sprint but I can squeeze a fast sprint out - not with those guys”
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,688
    I know the Morkov thing is the type of legendary ride cycling fans love but was there really any sense in him putting himself through that / others putting him through that when it looked a dead cert with over 100km to go that he wasn't going to make the cut. It really doesn't feel like looking after rider welfare.
  • rick_chasey
    His choice they’re all consenting
  • Pross
    I've never seen a sprint between actually sprinters where they have looked that knackered. Almost crashed on the line due to just being unable to keep their bikes straight.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

I've never seen a sprint between actually sprinters where they have looked that knackered. Almost crashed on the line due to just being unable to keep their bikes straight.

Jakobsen says he hates sprinting behind Philipsen because of how much he moves about when he sprints
  • rick_chasey
    Jakobsen also thinks ineos are “sitting in the draft” till the final week and expects them to kick off in the Pyrenees
  • Pross

Pross said:

Jakobsen says he hates sprinting behind Philipsen because of how much he moves about when he sprints
    Philipsen seemed the straightest of the three to be fair. His 4th cat dive bomb attempt going into the final corner was a bit risky though.
  • rick_chasey
    I think more he chucks the bike about rather than his line
  • rick_chasey
    They’ve got an agent on explaining the hiring process and eugh I don’t need to hear about work
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Mads P was asked about the sprint on DK TV, said he wanted to close Philipsen off on the left and make him come round, but wasn't going to put him into the barrier. Also said if he'd done that he'd only have finished second.
  • mididoctors
    strange stage that
  • mididoctors
    edited July 2022

Jakobsen also thinks ineos are “sitting in the draft” till the final week and expects them to kick off in the Pyrenees

They were all there... UAE and JUMBO may still be getting over the galibier. Ineos still have 3 in top ten .,.. pidcock attacks on the downhill somewhere. ,.. kuss needs to come good in the third
  • Pross
    I don't think Geraint or Yates have got an attack in them. All they've managed so far is to limit their losses when it kicks off and hope the other two slow down after knocking lumps out of each other.

Maybe the youngsters will run themselves out but I don't see it. Then again I didn't see Pog blowing up the other day either.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,160
    edited July 2022
    Pross said:

I don't think Geraint or Yates have got an attack in them. All they've managed so far is to limit their losses when it kicks off and hope the other two slow down after knocking lumps out of each other.

Maybe the youngsters will run themselves out but I don't see it. Then again I didn't see Pog blowing up the other day either.

There's a possibility that JV and Pogacar obsess about each other too much that they neglect or underappreciate moves by Ineos (or Bardet) before it is too late. I keep in mind the 2014 Dauphine when Contador in yellow spent so much time watching a crash hampered Froome, that he didn't pay any attention to a bunch of riders up the road until it was too late, and Talansky ended up winning.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,396
    amrushton said:

I think the Planche TT was his one shot honestly.

Partly because the sort of person that wins the tour doesnt screw up that bad.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver