TDF 2022:- Stage 4: Dunkerque to Calais, 171.5kms ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,900
    The interesting counter factual is if Yates and Jonas made it over the top with him.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,329

If anyone is feeling generous, can one of you say when it's worth turning it on?

Gotta to do it in the office so it's gotta be worth it.

No .watch the catch up
    Luckily Rick ignored you, otherwise you might have had to start a new account on here out of sheer embarassment...
  • mididoctors
    UAE were no where afaics . Pog in his own?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    ATTACK POG ON THE COBBLES
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,647
    yeah, but that was Ineos vs TJV really, Yates covering off a threat
  • focuszing723
    focuszing723 Posts: 8,058
    I wouldn't mind seeing the stats on heart rate and watts on an effort like that.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,391

The interesting counter factual is if Yates and Jonas made it over the top with him.

Before both cracking. Roglic not being able to hold it was interesting, felt like the sort of climb he usually does well on.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,680
    I don't think I've ever seen Wout beam quite like this before...

Absoloutly spanking ride
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross

Where has the greatest cyclist of his generation gone? Van der Poel is a no show so far.

He's been anonymous since the TT where he did OK. I was thinking that on the proper sprint stages he may have just been leaving it as the team have a 'proper' sprinter but was surprised he wasn't glued to WVA's wheel today as he usually is.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I think Roglic sounded a little off during his interview.
    He was sort of saying the right things, but one or two remarks suggested to me that he was less than completely happy with how things played out.
    Maybe it was down to his own positioning, or maybe because they didn't seem to hesitate when it came to cutting him adrift.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,977
    edited July 2022

Just before the climb, he was here:

Not at the front, and nowhere near Jumbo. He doesn't have anyone to look after him on flat stages.
  • Pross

Not at the front, and nowhere near Jumbo. He doesn't have anyone to look after him on flat stages.
    I don't understand him signing with UAE for so long. He's lucky that he has the talent to look after himself but it feels like at some point he may rely on his team and they won't be capable of delivering (although they did well for him at the Tour last year if I remember correctly). I can see JV and Ineos putting him under pressure tomorrow.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,060
    Interesting. I think Jumbo got their tactics right but purely in terms of winning the Tour as Adam Blythe said there was a chance for Vingegaard to maybe take 10-20 seconds there.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • kingstongraham
    Pross said:

I don't understand him signing with UAE for so long. He's lucky that he has the talent to look after himself but it feels like at some point he may rely on his team and they won't be capable of delivering (although they did well for him at the Tour last year if I remember correctly). I can see JV and Ineos putting him under pressure tomorrow.
    I think after today, and with Trentin missing, the other teams will fancy their chances of gaining on him tomorrow.
  • Pross

Pross said:

I think after today, and with Trentin missing, the other teams will fancy their chances of gaining on him tomorrow.
    I suspect that he is also going to be well aware of the potential issues and be glued to the JV team. That said, he's had a few near misses in the opening stages as well where he was the furthest rider back to avoid the late crashes.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He’s just so good he must ruin PTP
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,644

Where has the greatest cyclist of his generation gone? Van der Poel is a no show so far.

Wonder what his plan is to make an impact?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,815

Wtf was Wout's celebration in yellow? The Flying Chicken?

Jakobsen was not in the top 10.
    Clearly he is finished and QS should have brought Cav, a proper sprinter.

Hes sponsored by Red Bull, who give you wings apparently
  • kingstongraham
    "Red Bull gives me cash!"
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,611
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195

• mididoctors

If anyone is feeling generous, can one of you say when it's worth turning it on?

Gotta to do it in the office so it's gotta be worth it.

No .watch the catch up
    Luckily Rick ignored you, otherwise you might have had to start a new account on here out of sheer embarassment...
    I am shameless
  • mididoctors

He’s just so good he must ruin PTP

Working for me I am in green
  • mididoctors

Interesting. I think Jumbo got their tactics right but purely in terms of winning the Tour as Adam Blythe said there was a chance for Vingegaard to maybe take 10-20 seconds there.

Needed to take Yates with him too
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

He's been anonymous since the TT where he did OK. I was thinking that on the proper sprint stages he may have just been leaving it as the team have a 'proper' sprinter but was surprised he wasn't glued to WVA's wheel today as he usually is.
    All in for the cobbles
  • mididoctors
  • DeVlaeminck

Yes fair point neutralise the Ineos chase. Wonder if Yates would have worked - three of them doing turns would have been interesting and once the sprint was off the cards it'd have been even more interesting to see if other GC teams helped UAE.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Re MvdP I wonder if he just didn't anticipate an attack on that climb sticking so was out of position when it went.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,329

Yes fair point neutralise the Ineos chase. Wonder if Yates would have worked - three of them doing turns would have been interesting and once the sprint was off the cards it'd have been even more interesting to see if other GC teams helped UAE.
    If that group of JV + Ineos had stuck together and forced a gap, I'm fairly sure they'd have driven it on together. With WVA off up the road and no real reason for Ineos to chase there wasn't much to encourage either team to drive it on. Wonder if we'll look back at that later as the great missed opportunity (although in truth the gap never opened up quite enough)?
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,633
    Yes, for a moment it looked like Jumbo-Ineos could really go for it together. Pog was still a way back at that point.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format