Online Refund Help (not cycling related!)

Comments

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,254
    I don't think you get that credit card protection if you've bought from a third party seller through Amazon marketplace.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    me-109 said:

Does the damage to the glasses equate to the damage on the box? How was the Amazon packet shipped - box or courier packet? The latter may be inadequate and the former would have damage if it occurred in transit to you. I always take pictures of damaged packets prior to opening.

The glasses were inside a Ray Ban glasses case which was inside a Ray Ban box which was inside a corrugated cardboard outer.

The cardboard outer looked fine but there was a small "dent" in the corner of the Ray Ban box. It really wasn't anything "major" more that the corner of the box had been squashed in a little - pretty sure this dent had no bearing on the state of the glasses. There was no apparent damage to the glasses case itself. I perhaps should have taken photos but didn't I'm afraid. Having returned several packages to Amazon over the years, I've never had a problem before and assumed this would be a straight refund/replacement. The seller is claiming that I sent back a different pair of glasses to those that I returned - which is not the case.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian

I don't think you get that credit card protection if you've bought from a third party seller through Amazon marketplace.

I did wonder this myself but there is a mechanism to raise a dispute for this exact scenario (receiving damaged goods) through the Barclays app so I'll have to see how it works out.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,915
    I had a £140 Yamaha practice mute from Japan not arrive after a month, despite having had a dispatch notification. Seller said they'd sent it. Amazon refunded the same day I complained direct to them.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I recently bought a suit from Jaeger (M&S) however after the waistcoat arrived, the jacket and trousers were showing as lost on the delivery company site. I contacted M&S on line who in formed the jacket was not in stock. So I cancelled the the order for the jacket and trousers and they refunded the money.
    Later when I looked again at the suit jacket be available in my size but in slim size B) so I ordered the jacket and trousers.
    This was all on next day delivery as I wanted the suit to go out on my birthday.
    So come my birthday I ended up with 2 jackets and 2 pairs of trousers and one waistcoat.
    I waited till the refund was back in my account and then rang M&S they said as it was their mistake I could keep the jacket and trousers as a good will gesture.
    So I have a 3 piece suit and a spare 2 piece suit.
    They good willed me £ 350.
    The inter web is not all bad.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    @laurentian you can see how, from your description of the damage, that it doesn't look like damage in transit so they are bound to suspect you. It may well be that they fail to check returns adequately and somebody else has swapped them, or it is some sort of inside job, but they would have to have switched them from a bunch of stock items rather than getting lucky and finding the right type at the packing stage. Presumably this is direct from a smaller supplier not an Amazon warehouse?
  • briantrumpet
    me-109 said:

@laurentian you can see how, from your description of the damage, that it doesn't look like damage in transit so they are bound to suspect you. It may well be that they fail to check returns adequately and somebody else has swapped them, or it is some sort of inside job, but they would have to have switched them from a bunch of stock items rather than getting lucky and finding the right type at the packing stage. Presumably this is direct from a smaller supplier not an Amazon warehouse?

I think your record as an Amazon (ditto eBay) customer will count for a lot for as to whether you get a prompt refund... if you have rarely or never complained or returned an item, you're more likely to be believed, I suspect.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    (although, just because it's a smaller seller does not mean that it wasn't sent from a massive warehouse as well. It just didn't have amazon over the door...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    Oh and, any excuse to post this again...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPW3YikDwEM
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,630
    Ray Bans have a serial number. Shouod be on the box as well. Don't know if this will correspond to a bar code or a particular sale, but you could start pressuring the guy to look into it. Right now it's just an unsubstantiated allegation he's made.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Does Ray Ban have authorised dealers? If so, is this Amazon seller one?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866
    webboo said:

I recently bought a suit from Jaeger (M&S) however after the waistcoat arrived, the jacket and trousers were showing as lost on the delivery company site. I contacted M&S on line who in formed the jacket was not in stock. So I cancelled the the order for the jacket and trousers and they refunded the money.
    Later when I looked again at the suit jacket be available in my size but in slim size B) so I ordered the jacket and trousers.
    This was all on next day delivery as I wanted the suit to go out on my birthday.
    So come my birthday I ended up with 2 jackets and 2 pairs of trousers and one waistcoat.
    I waited till the refund was back in my account and then rang M&S they said as it was their mistake I could keep the jacket and trousers as a good will gesture.
    So I have a 3 piece suit and a spare 2 piece suit.
    They good willed me £ 350.
    The inter web is not all bad.

what you touch upon here is the huge elephant in the room for online clothes retailers. It is not good will it reflects the fact that it is not worth their while sorting out the return and going through the process to get it back on sale.
  • laurentian
    **Update**

Received a message via "Amazon A-Z Guarantee" last night saying:

"We issued you a refund of £92.15 for this order on Jun 21. Refunds typically take 3-5 working days to process to your payment method . . ."

So looks like I've had a result.

It would appear that contacting Amazon about the problem with the seller rather than contacting the seller directly about the problem with the delivery seemed to do the trick.

All the help and advice above is truly appreciated - thanks all.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • laurentian
    me-109 said:

I absolutely agree with this. If I were them and received back what they claim they got, I would be inclined to think someone was pulling a fast one. Bought through Amazon from what I assume to be an SME
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

**Update**

"We issued you a refund of £92.15 for this order on Jun 21. Refunds typically take 3-5 working days to process to your payment method . . ."

It would appear that contacting Amazon about the problem with the seller rather than contacting the seller directly about the problem with the delivery seemed to do the trick.

So we not burning his shop down then?

Oh

#quetriste
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • laurentian
    MattFalle said:

**Update**l.

Money not in the bank yet so . . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • ddraver
    The joys of being too small for a billionaire to even care about you... 😁😁
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect

me-109 said:

I absolutely agree with this. If I were them and received back what they claim they got, I would be inclined to think someone was pulling a fast one. Bought through Amazon from what I assume to be an SME
    Sure, but as a retailer you can't shoot from the hip like that really. He's basically accused you of something nefarious without anything other than a suspicion. The thread as a whole has shown several things they could have done to confirm or rule out their suspicions.

Let me flip this around. Would you ever order from the same person again?
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    MattFalle said:

**Update**

Oh

#quetriste

Disappointing.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • laurentian

This is an interesting question! I need another pair of sunglasses and have bught two pairs without any issue from this company in the past.

As they have coughed up and (on the surface of it) it appears that they themselves may have been ripped off, I have to admit I'm tempted to further reinforce my moral credentials by buying the new pair from them . . . thoughts??
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • pangolin
    pangolin Posts: 6,314

This is an interesting question! I need another pair of sunglasses and have bught two pairs without any issue from this company in the past.

As they have coughed up and (on the surface of it) it appears that they themselves may have been ripped off, I have to admit I'm tempted to further reinforce my moral credentials by buying the new pair from them . . . thoughts??
    Sounds like Amazon have coughed up, not them.
    - Genesis Croix de Fer
    - Dolan Tuono
  • briantrumpet

The seller won't have coughed up voluntarily. Both eBay and Amazon treat sellers like sh!t, and tend to believe any complaints.
  • First.Aspect

I wouldn't, personally. It might be me but being accused of minor fraud is upsetting.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    edited June 2022

I'd buy from somewhere else as I would fear receiving the same sunglasses again!

It's worth bearing in mind that Amazon has your complete order history, so it is easier for them to decide whether you are a scammer or not.
  • MattFalle

I would but i'm a softie.

However I'd drop them a line first and say that you're reordering and no hard feelings but just to be 100% okey dokey can they double the ones they are sending out and bosh you a piccie of same.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,553
    I wouldn't order from them again in case there's a mix up in comms between the MFs (they do work for the military after all) and they end up burning down the supplier before your new glasses get sent out.
  • MattFalle
    Or the supplier could send the MFs to your place by mistake instead of the sunnies then you'll never get rid of the arsonistic littleshits.

Which ones are you ordering out of interest?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    edited June 2022
    I wouldn't order from them again either, looks like they refunded only under pressure from Amazon.

Surely there must be somewhere that sells them for only a few % more than this place?

Can we now know who they are please, or do you want to wait for the funds to clear?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • ddraver
    If it's not these, I'm going to be very upset...

Or Pit Vipers maybe
    - @ddraver
  • laurentian
    MattFalle said:

Which ones are you ordering out of interest?

Just some tortoise shell Wayfarers
    Wilier Izoard XP