2022 Critérium du Dauphiné, June 5 - 12 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816

Ambient sound on after 2 minutes today.

Just gone ambient for the finale today.
    He started making stuff up again which was my cue.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Not sure why Ineos are so keen to bring the break back for WVA to win.
  • Pross
    Break inexplicably start messing around.
  • Pross
    Cracking finish, WVA takes it but remenants of the break must have been in the top 10.
  • Pross
    Ineos rewarded for towing the break back with 3rd place, really don't get what they were doing there.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    Pross said:

Me either. They did a stellar job though.
    Mugged by Jumbo into wasting energy reserves into the bargain.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    Good finish - van Aert best rider of his generation again.

First of the break comes 8th.
  • Pross
    pblakeney said:

Pross said:

Me either. They did a stellar job though.
    Mugged by Jumbo into wasting energy reserves into the bargain.
    Very strange, Jumbo left them do it until it was clear they wouldn't close the gap even though WVA was odds on favourite if it did come back. He has now thanked pretty much the whole Ineos team!

The break would have stayed away if they hadn't briefly started messing about with 500m to go.
  • Pross
    Can't get used to Groenwegen not being in a Jumbo jersey.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,868
    edited June 2022
    phreak said:

Stage 6 should be very pretty. Vercors is a hugely under-appreciated area to ride a bike, although it's an (understandable) shame they don't turn off at Cognin les Gorge and go over the Gorge du Nans

The descent to the valley down Presles would have been interesting

I have ridden that numerous times ...a car with bikes on top is a bit iffy on places. Shame really .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Pross said:

Ineos rewarded for towing the break back with 3rd place, really don't get what they were doing there.

They ballsed up hayters lead out in Norway too
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    edited June 2022
    The descent off the rousset after the hairpins is super fast ... 100kmh stuff
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Pross said:

Can't get used to Groenwegen not being in a Jumbo jersey.

The bike exchange blue looks strange on him, but he is riding like he is on Israel Premier Tech, so it fits I guess... 😜
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,343
    Garbage parcours honestly. WVA could (should) have won every stage so far... 🙄
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    BE worked earlier in the stage as well as Ineos working later. Are Jumbo blackmailing their DSs?
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Great area for riding , I was supposed ride the gorge on a cycling holiday but was too sh@@ged after doing mont ventoux the day before 😂😀
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    It has been a s@@p route so far this year . 😕
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    bm5 said:

BE worked earlier in the stage as well as Ineos working later. Are Jumbo blackmailing their DSs?

You can't win the raffle if you don't buy a ticket
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

phreak said:

Stage 6 should be very pretty. Vercors is a hugely under-appreciated area to ride a bike, although it's an (understandable) shame they don't turn off at Cognin les Gorge and go over the Gorge du Nans

I have ridden that numerous times ...a car with bikes on top is a bit iffy on places. Shame really .
    It was a point made on Twitter last night as well

• phreak
    There are quite a few like that. Another classic example is the climb to Villard Notre Dame, which is on the opposite side of the valley to Alp d'Huez. Almost exactly the same gradients but rather than a dull ski access road it's a wonderful balcony road with tunnels and stuff.

• phreak
    Cirque du Tromousse is another example. Starts from the same place as Luz Ardiden and the Tourmalet, but because it's a national park the race is never allowed to go up there (or to neighbouring Gavarnie).

• blazing_saddles
    No question for me, that this edition's route is extremely bland. Too many "samey" stages and not a meaningful mountain until the weekend. Even tomorrow's stage has as lesser finishing climb after the big obstacles are cleared.
    Hopefully, the Croix de Fer will be used as the organisers intended.
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    phreak said:

There are quite a few like that. Another classic example is the climb to Villard Notre Dame, which is on the opposite side of the valley to Alp d'Huez. Almost exactly the same gradients but rather than a dull ski access road it's a wonderful balcony road with tunnels and stuff.

One has to be careful what one wishes for – imo by including the Belles Filles (first time 10 years ago), the Tour ruined its ascent and the area at its top, by widening the road and its bends, and clearing acres of forest high up for all the (temporary) Tour and media vehicles and structures - there were protests at the time of its proposed inclusion, because of the deemed necessary work, unfortunately unsuccessful.
    If the Vercors balcony roads were included, or the Villard-Notre-Dame ascent, I'm sure they would be modified and lose their present character – roads widened and with higher barriers, tunnels enlarged and lit, maybe straightened too, and the V-N-D village ruined.
    phreak said:

Cirque du Tromousse is another example. Starts from the same place as Luz Ardiden and the Tourmalet, but because it's a national park the race is never allowed to go up there (or to neighbouring Gavarnie).

I don't know the Cirque du Tromousse but Gavarnie (the village) is outside the Pyrenees parc national (the park starts on the gravel track to the cirque). One therefore could include the climb to the village of Gavarnie (but would it be ruined like that at Belles Filles?).
    I'm anyway not sure there are restrictions on Tour stages passing through either a parc national or a parc naturel. Today they pass through the middle of the Vercors parc naturel while in the past they've gone over several cols which are either fully or partially in parcs nationals (Iseran, Restefond, Cayolle, Pourtalet, Somport).

• phreak
    jimmyjams said:

phreak said:

One has to be careful what one wishes for – imo by including the Belles Filles (first time 10 years ago), the Tour ruined its ascent and the area at its top, by widening the road and its bends, and clearing acres of forest high up for all the (temporary) Tour and media vehicles and structures - there were protests at the time of its proposed inclusion, because of the deemed necessary work, unfortunately unsuccessful.
    If the Vercors balcony roads were included, or the Villard-Notre-Dame ascent, I'm sure they would be modified and lose their present character – roads widened and with higher barriers, tunnels enlarged and lit, maybe straightened too, and the V-N-D village ruined.
    phreak said:

I don't know the Cirque du Tromousse but Gavarnie (the village) is outside the Pyrenees parc national (the park starts on the gravel track to the cirque). One therefore could include the climb to the village of Gavarnie (but would it be ruined like that at Belles Filles?).
    I'm anyway not sure there are restrictions on Tour stages passing through either a parc national or a parc naturel. Today they pass through the middle of the Vercors parc naturel while in the past they've gone over several cols which are either fully or partially in parcs nationals (Iseran, Restefond, Cayolle, Pourtalet, Somport).

Yes, you are quite right there and my recollection of Villard Notre Dame is very much that it was a few houses and nothing much else. There are some interesting climbs in that area though, with perhaps the Parquetout another Mortirolo type climb that doesn't ever seem to be included, despite being so close to the d'Ornon, which is often on the parcours.

Regarding Troumouse, there is a decent chunk of it that is car free, which I think is similar to Gavarnie, in that you can drive to the village but the interesting bit is car free, and I suppose it's that part that is in the protected area (isn't Gavarnie UNESCO?)
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,270
    The bit before the cafe and car park at Troumouse is pretty damn good, and the views are probably better from there than the top.

The main issue, I think is that it (or Gavarnie) would have to be a stage finish, which means more infrastructure. If they need to change to get Le Tour, keep it the way it is, I reckon.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    😂🤣😂

Excellent work boi...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    Even the peloton was too bored to make the effort to close the small gap to the breakaway.
    Bagioli declared the fastest sprinter by our illustrious commentators, is then beaten by both Rolland and Barguil.
    Direct Energy chalk up another win, while all 3, like me, we’re sleeping.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Juan Sebastien Molano has unsurprisingly been thrown off the race for punching Hugo Page
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,932

phreak said:

Haha. Ditto... and much scarier in a car, though at least they'd not have had the problem of passing cars wanting to come the other way. The Col de Rousset descent must have been insanely fast.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

Even the peloton was too bored to make the effort to close the small gap to the breakaway.
    Bagioli declared the fastest sprinter by our illustrious commentators, is then beaten by both Rolland and Barguil.
    Direct Energy chalk up another win, while all 3, like me, we’re sleeping.

Ferron broke away at 1km to go and totally mugged the rest of the break

...just in case anyone wanted to know who won....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver