edited May 2022
    Aww, look good on ya Jai...

Must be gutting for Carapaz
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,847
    Well he didn't fall off . Macarthy did a decent tt
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Final GC Top 10

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    What was the gap between Hindley and Carapaz in the TT..?

Errors for Ineos (with the Oakley hindsights on), 1)Not putting more time into him on Blockhaus and 2) the circuit stage where I'm now even more convinced he counted the number of hills wrong and attacked one too early...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver said:

Errors for Ineos (with the Oakley hindsights on), 1)Not putting more time into him on Blockhaus and 2) the circuit stage where I'm now even more convinced he counted the number of hills wrong and attacked one too early...

7s in the end in Carapaz's favour
  • zest28
    zest28 Posts: 403
    So Ineos with their best rider cannot even beat a field of B-level riders. Ineos is in big trouble really as they will not win a grand tour this year now.

The big guys like Pogacar, Roglic, Van Aerts, and so on ... were not racing in the Giro d'Italia so it should have been an easy win for Ineos.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    Oh look, the troll is back.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Is 28 his IQ.
  • mididoctors
    Bilbao did a super zubeldia there
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    ddraver said:

I had it less than 30 secs
  • mididoctors

ddraver said:

7s in the end in Carapaz's favour
    That low!
  • mididoctors
    Arensman could do something on GC in the future
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,535
    zest28 said:

So Ineos with their best rider cannot even beat a field of B-level riders. Ineos is in big trouble really as they will not win a grand tour this year now.

The big guys like Pogacar, Roglic, Van Aerts, and so on ... were not racing in the Giro d'Italia so it should have been an easy win for Ineos.

Hang on, Ineos have got a triathlete in their team so surely he must be their best rider?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,153
    Aside from the GC - Ben Tulett in 5th is very impressive. I thought he was a climber. Definitely one to watch.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,689
    Nibali 4th…😈
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,535
    RichN95. said:

Aside from the GC - Ben Tulett in 5th is very impressive. I thought he was a climber. Definitely one to watch.

How is his surname pronounced? I assumed it was as written with hard consonants but Hatch was saying it as Tully or something.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    I've heard two different versions; Tull-et, and Tule-let. And he's been around forever, but is only 20. And he's that rarity; a double Junior World CX Champion.....last person to do that was some Dutch guy called Van der Poel......don't know what happened to him.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,928
    andyrac said:

Van der Poel......don't know what happened to him.

Probably still attacking in the Giro ;)
  • hanshotfirst
    hanshotfirst Posts: 373

I sure hope his future is not with a team that... "cannot even beat a field of B-level riders" and are in "big trouble"
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906

I sure hope his future is not with a team that... "cannot even beat a field of B-level riders" and are in "big trouble"
    It does seem like they need a tactical rethink. They have a load of riders who are top 10 material, but it seems like they primarily use them to drive the pace on the front, which means they tend to burn out half way up a climb. In this best case this leaves the team leader with the team leaders of the main rivals, and in the worst case it leaves the team leader with leaders from quite a few other teams.

Often in the Giro they'd burn up Porte and Sivakov and the likes of Nibali and Pozzo would still be there, which seems a bit of a waste. I'd have thought the point of having top 10 type riders would be to do some attacking and get the leaders of the other teams to chase. After all, when Carapaz et al did attack they usually dropped the likes of Nibali and Pozzo reasonably quickly.

They don't seem likely to beat Rog and Pog if their leader is left one on one with them after all the domestiques have burned out.
  • mididoctors
    edited May 2022
    phreak said:

It does seem like they need a tactical rethink. They have a load of riders who are top 10 material, but it seems like they primarily use them to drive the pace on the front, which means they tend to burn out half way up a climb. In this best case this leaves the team leader with the team leaders of the main rivals, and in the worst case it leaves the team leader with leaders from quite a few other teams.

Often in the Giro they'd burn up Porte and Sivakov and the likes of Nibali and Pozzo would still be there, which seems a bit of a waste. I'd have thought the point of having top 10 type riders would be to do some attacking and get the leaders of the other teams to chase. After all, when Carapaz et al did attack they usually dropped the likes of Nibali and Pozzo reasonably quickly.

They don't seem likely to beat Rog and Pog if their leader is left one on one with them after all the domestiques have burned out.
    Sending riders down the road just isn't the ineos thing is it
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768
    edited May 2022
    phreak said:

It is a flawed tactic as I pointed out a few years ago all the competition have to do is sit on the back of the train and attack at the end. Rog & Pog have proven this. Jai too now.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,111
    It seems a long time ago, but in truth it is just eighteen months, since Ineos seemed to herald in a new era of tactics when they won the Giro (and six stages) with an attacking style.

They've adopted a similar approach in the spring classics this year, so let's hope they do something similar at the Tour where they are not going to have an individual who can challenge Pogacar (or Roglic either) in a head to head race.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,906
    andyp said:

It seems a long time ago, but in truth it is just eighteen months, since Ineos seemed to herald in a new era of tactics when they won the Giro (and six stages) with an attacking style.

They've adopted a similar approach in the spring classics this year, so let's hope they do something similar at the Tour where they are not going to have an individual who can challenge Pogacar (or Roglic either) in a head to head race.

It just feels like they haven't really used their resources well. Someone like Sivakov has broadly comparable results in week long races as Hindley, yet he was always burned out quite a way from the finish of each climb. Porte has had a better record than many in one week races over the past year or so and was also largely unable to be there beyond the likes of Nibali and Pozzo.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    How quick we forget...

- @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

phreak said:

It is a flawed tactic as I pointed out a few years ago all the competition have to do is sit on the back of the train and attack at the end. Rog & Pog have proven this. Jai too now.
    Kamna was crucial
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,242

pblakeney said:

phreak said:

Kamna was crucial
    I'm not sure how crucial. Carapaz would still have cracked and Hindley would still have been stronger. Hindley being that much stronger than Carapaz with 5km to go was the crucial bit. Having that short stretch where he wasn't in the wind definitely helped a bit though.
  • mididoctors

pblakeney said:

phreak said:

Kamna was crucial
    I'm not sure how crucial. Carapaz would still have cracked and Hindley would still have been stronger. Hindley being that much stronger than Carapaz with 5km to go was the crucial bit. Having that short stretch where he wasn't in the wind definitely helped a bit though.
    Bit hyperbolic guess . But the fact remains it worked fantastically. ..

Sending riders up the road rarely works but it's spectacular when it does . The problem with trident / quad leader teams it only makes sense to push them forward early in GT but then early in a GT the GC is close and multiple teams will shut it down .. dual leaders has merit ... It's possible to keep your guys up on GC . Geriant won in part because froome was marked in the finale on the first few MTFs . Sastres win was a trident . I can't think of any other
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,768

pblakeney said:

phreak said:

Kamna was crucial
    As KG said, he undoubtably helped (especially with the mind games) but Carapaz cracked when Hindley launched. I think Carapaz made the mistake of thinking it was going to be the other way round.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.