Giro 2022 - Stage 20: Belluno – Marmolada 167 km ***Spoilers***

13»

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    They shoot horses dont they
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    Blimey. Didn't see that coming.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mididoctors
    Kamna was crucial
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors

Blimey. Didn't see that coming.

Just glad they took.it to the limit and we all saw what they really had
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754
    That straight...
  • mididoctors
    Carthy top ten
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 932
    Good to finally ge

Kamna was crucial

Absolutely. Even the mind games when he then stayed with Carapaz as Hindley rode off into the sunset
    Scott Foil RC
    Scott Addict RC
    Trek Emonda
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570

Good to finally ge

Kamna was crucial

Absolutely. Even the mind games when he then stayed with Carapaz as Hindley rode off into the sunset
    Then rode away from him
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    That was a decent finish to an otherwise dull stage.

Superb execution of the plan by Bora, helped in no small part by Bahrain channeling their inner Movistar.

I thought Carapaz looked a little uncomfortable on the penultimate climb, but when Ineos went to the front, assumed I'd got that wrong. A bluff perhaps?

• JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 2,293
    Very surprised at how much time Carapaz lost. Well played Bora and Hindley 👏👏
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    When Buchman (?) got dropped I would have written "Bora have really c*cked this up" had I not been watching on my phone...

How 'bout no...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    What have I been saying about Hindley the whole time.

People on here are very negative.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    edited May 2022
    I wonder if Carapaz went full Wiggins after his Olympic gold last year. He seems to be a national hero at home.

Anyway from the class of 2020 Hindley's won the Giro and Kelderman was 5th in the tour last year. Time for Geoghegan Hart to step up a level?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    gsk82 said:

I wonder if Carapaz went full Wiggins after his Olympic gold last year. He seems to be a national hero at home.

Anyway from the class of 2020 Hindley's won the Giro and Kelderman was 5th in the tour last year. Time for Geoghegan Hart to step up a level?

My guess is that Carapaz a little bit ill - nit full on, but a little bit.

Tao is one of many Ineos riders with a question mark. What is the hierachy there? Now there is no clear franchise player with Bernal injured.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    Glad one of them cracked the other - the race needed something to take away from these last two stages.

Not sure about Ineos driving on that final climb - with hindsight it seems an odd tactic given they had the lead and a stronger TT.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Good to finally ge

Kamna was crucial

It was a mirror image of Tao, Hindley and Dennis from 2020, savage.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

Not sure about Ineos driving on that final climb - with hindsight it seems an odd tactic given they had the lead and a stronger TT.

Think there will be an inquest into that. They knew Bora had Kamna up the road (best timed drop back I've ever seen). Not sure what they wanted to achieve, the stage win was looking very doubtful already with Covi riding well. Possibly wanted to beat Hindley "properly", given he had a stage win and Carapaz didn't. But did they underestimate him? Or did they overestimate Carapaz? Did the DS call the tactics, and did they double check with Carapaz before going for it? Did Carapaz give honest info back?

Or maybe he just didn't eat enough or something, it happens.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    If Carapaz wasn't feeling confident, he'd not have had the team drilling it on the front like they did. I think his implosion was as much as a surprise to him as it was to us.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited May 2022
    andyp said:

If Carapaz wasn't feeling confident, he'd not have had the team drilling it on the front like they did. I think his implosion was as much as a surprise to him as it was to us.

That's what happens when you don't spend enough time staring at your stem.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137

Glad one of them cracked the other - the race needed something to take away from these last two stages.

In a way it was the one stage you didn't want one of them to crack as it would have made the TT more exciting. If it had happened on an earlier mountain stage it would have been good as the one who cracked would have had a chance to try to get the time back.
  • mididoctors
    andyp said:

He based his ride on what he thought hindley could do