Giro 2022 - Stage 20: Belluno – Marmolada 167 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
Stage 20: Belluno – Marmolada 167 km
Saturday, May 28th, 11:15 BST

A colossal stage through the Dolomites, the Giro's last mountain stage presents 168 kilometres with a total elevation gain of 4,490 metres. The riders are to conquer the Passo di San Pellegrino and Passo Pordoi before finishing at the Passo Fedaia. Finally, the Giro hits 2000 metre territory, where the rarefied atmosphere comes into play.

Starting from the town of Belluno, just at the foot of the Dolomites, this stage will offer the first, uncategorised difficulty of the day after just 18 km. Next a short diversion across the valley of the Piave river through Sedico, Santa Giustina and Sospirolo, the route passes Agordo and Cencenighe, crossing the Val Cordevole upstream. The first 65 kilometres are the calm before the storm.
After the Passo S.Pellegrino, the peloton enter the Val di Fassa, a valley that they will have to ascend for 17 km all the way to the end and to the foot of the next climb and the Cima Coppi ascent of the Passo Pordoi. The descent is very technical and leads to the town of Caprile, where the final climb of the day will begin: The mythical Marmolada.

The Climbs:

Passo S.Pellegrino: GPM1, 18.5 km at 6.2%
A long and hard climb, very irregular in the first half and then just consistently steep in the second.

Passo Pordoi: Cima Coppi, 11.8 km at 6.8%
First used on June 5, 1940. It was Giro stage 17, from Pieve di Cadore to Ortisei. Coppi and Bartali set out on a legendary two-man break, and the young Fausto staked his claim on the Giro. When Bartali punctured on the Sella and Coppi tried to pull away, Pavesi ordered him to wait for his teammate, who had previously been waiting for him when Fausto had punctured.

Passo Fedaia: GPM1, 14 km at 7.6%

Not since that stage to Gardeccia 2011 that Fedaia (also known as Marmolada) has featured in the Giro.

The Giro d’Italia first tackled the Passo Fedaia on June 5, 1970.
The climb was already supposed to feature in the route of the Trento-Malga Ciapela stage the previous year, but the inclement weather stopped its debut: the stage was cancelled because of snow and wind on the passes, and rain and hail in the valley.
Curiously, though, when the Giro first tackled the Marmolada, it didn’t really climb the Passo Fedaia, just the first 9kms. The full ascent arrived in 1975, in the second to last stage of the Giro.

Final kms
The ramps are steep over the last 14 km. After a technical ascent from Caprile to Rocca Pietore, the route becomes a 2% false-flat up. The gradients go up again past Sottoguda, then the road dips a little before Malga Ciapela (passing through a curved, well-lit tunnel). The average gradient over the last 6 km is around 12%, with a mid-climb 18% peak. The home straight is flat, on tarmac road.

What to expect:
The final battle for the GC. Doubtful that will kick off before those brutal final kilometres.

Favourites 20-th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Richard Carapaz
**** Mikel Landa, Jai Hindley
*** Vincenzo Nibali, Hugh Carthy
** Guillaume Martin, Jan Hirt, Wilco Kelderman
* Pello Bilbao, Santiago Buitrago, Emmanuel Buchmann, Lorenzo Fortunato

Belluno

About an hour from Venice, perched on a promontory and lapped by the Piave River and the Ardo creek, Belluno is the capital city of a natural heritage that has no equal in the world, the UNESCO Dolomites.

Gastronomy

The traditional cuisine is very tasty: the pastin, for example, is the king of the local barbecue and it is made of spicy beef and pork minced meat.

From the rich dairy tradition comes schiz, a first salt cheese best baked in the oven. Dessert addicted need to try giuseppine during Carnival or the spicy Pan de Belun, but if you prefer a healthy there's the tasty snack kodinžon, a dried apple stick, is the one for you. Obviously, all soaked by a classic ombra of wine or a handcrafted local beer.

Marmolada

The municipality of Rocca Pietore (La Ròcia in Ladin) is the Geographical heart of the Unesco Dolomites. Situated 1143 m above sea level, it has about 1200 inhabitants. The Marmolada Ski Area, part of the Dolomiti Superski, is the jewel in the crown for winter skiing, but the valley also offers the chance to try out ski mountaineering, cross-country skiing, freeriding, snowshoeing and ice climbing. Some of the most scenic treks in the Dolomites, adrenalin-pumping crags and via ferratas: summer is also more active than ever here. The history of the community of Rocca Pietore has passed through important human events: for example, the First World War, was fought out among these harsh rocks. An important part of this history is witnessed with war findings inside the Marmolada Great War Museum at Punta Serauta, in Marmolada.

Gastronomy

The cuisine and typical gastronomy of the Dolomites are key elements for the Ladin identity of the Rocca Pietore area. Ladin cuisine is a journey through culture and flavors, an experience that will take you by the throat and will give you unique sensations: from the particular flavor of game meat with polenta to the sweetish aftertaste of smoked ricotta, from the spice of typical desserts to perfume and grappa flavored with cumin, mountain pine, juniper, blueberries and wild strawberries.

After having tasted the traditional dishes, skilfully prepared and served by the chefs of the valley, how can one not end a convivial lunch or dinner in style or an apreski on the slopes with an aromatised grappa? Cumin, mugo pine, silver fir, juniper, blueberries and wild strawberries are the sensational products that fill each glass with unique scents and tastes. The combination of grappa with herbs, roots and wild fruits is of ancient origin and the territory offers an infinite variety.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Steep roads always seem worse when there are no hairpins, and that bit as you exit the Sottoguda gorge up to Capanna Bill is horrible. Hopefully they get inspired by Pantani and do some attacking up it.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    Nibali to go long and win the giro
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Just kidding
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • blazing_saddles
    Some would say that the weather forecast for the stage, matches the racing.

• bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Really hoping for some action today after yesterday's snoozefest, but can't see it. Going over 2000m is of further benefit to Carapaz so doubt Hindley will be able to do much. A shame that Porte had to withdraw, but that will have weakened Ineos at least by a little.
    I think another thing is both riders are quite likeable (or come across that way) so I don't really mind who wins.
    Its more fun to watch when more invested one way or other - when you really like or really hate one of them!
    If they're still 3 secs apart going into the TT it could be interesting. I know Carapaz is the better TTer of the two, but knowing you're only 3 secs off would be hell of a motivation.
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,267
    Bonus seconds halfway up the fedaia could be interesting.
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022
    That first uncategorised climb seems enough to put the sprinters out the back early and launch the climbers up the road
    https://climbfinder.com/en/climbs/san-gregorio-nelle-alpi-santa-giustina

2km of it at over 7%
  • mididoctors
    Back in ... What's happening?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    About 10 got a short gap over first climb
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    Bora lost 2 out the back
  • mididoctors
    Bora has farked up
  • mididoctors
    Bora has farked up

About 10 got a short gap over first climb

Cheers
  • blazing_saddles
    Oh my God it's raining!.......cancel the stage.

Seriously though, I have read a lot of comments hyping the difficulty of this stage, which got me to thinking about the other times they have climbed the Fedaia, this millennium. Today seems rather modest in comparison.

2011:

2008:

(A certain Domenico Pozzovivo was second that day, in one of the dodgiest top 10s you are ever likely to see)

2001:

• kingstongraham
    Chaos B)
  • DeVlaeminck
    15 with 8 seconds to the bunch (30 riders) looks like they are coming back .
  • kingstongraham

Back in ... What's happening?

Van der Poel is in the break, obviously.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Looks like break has gone
  • kingstongraham
  • blazing_saddles
    KoM
    Wtf?
  • mididoctors
    Beer money
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    I don't get the point of Brad on the motorbike. I like Wiggins but he doesn't really give any insight.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    If I wasn't working I'd be having a most excellent nap right now...

This is perfect nap fodder
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ...as you barstewards all seem to be doing...
    - @ddraver
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Covi got one black shoe and one white.
  • ddraver
    edited May 2022
    Yurp...

*Nods*

- @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    Happily remembering Pordoi

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    They seem determined to give the break sufficient gap to ensure even the sprint for the bonus seconds is a non event.
  • blazing_saddles
    ddraver said:

...as you barstewards all seem to be doing...

Oy! I’ll have you know I’ve only dropped off twice. :p
  • mididoctors
    Covi is flying
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Phat-eeg