Getting back into cycling

2»

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ally saves lives
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • It was 30mbit/s around 10 years back, so it's probably a fair bit quicker now. I dunno, is that enough for zwift..?

That should be okay. They might not get the PowerUps though, will have to rely on their regular w/kg.....
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    To start with I'd suggest you get out on your bike and leave the turbo for when you are fitter (and lighter) and winter.

Why?

1. It's boring as hell unless you invest heavily in supporting technology - good smart trainer (£600+), HRM and cadence monitors (£40), monthly training programme (£15 per month), fan (£40), some entertainment (depends on the training programme but could be speakers/TV etc).
    2. It hurts your backside at the start as you tend not to stand up on the trainer meaning you are always putting pressure on your seatbones and/or gooch.
    3. You need a dedicated space in the house unless you have time to setup and dismantle for each session.

That said I found HIIT coupled with some improved diet and outside riding was a good way to lose weight. Good luck.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Ally saves lives
    navrig2 said:

To start with I'd suggest you get out on your bike and leave the turbo for when you are fitter (and lighter) and winter.

Why?

1. It's boring as hell unless you invest heavily in supporting technology - good smart trainer (£600+), HRM and cadence monitors (£40), monthly training programme (£15 per month), fan (£40), some entertainment (depends on the training programme but could be speakers/TV etc).
    2. It hurts your backside at the start as you tend not to stand up on the trainer meaning you are always putting pressure on your seatbones and/or gooch.
    3. You need a dedicated space in the house unless you have time to setup and dismantle for each session.

That said I found HIIT coupled with some improved diet and outside riding was a good way to lose weight. Good luck.

Rubbish

Smart trainer -£300 upwards or get a dumb one and a£30 connector thingie

You don't need cadence and HRM

You don't need a training programme

Any fan will do to start or if you're in a garage open the door.

3. Stick it in the garage. Shed. Car port.

even so - set up: get turbo out, put bike on. Dismsntle,: reverse of above. 5mins max. Also, Why Does it have to be in the house?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • skyblueamateur
    skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
    I'd agree with MF. I have a Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll Smart trainer that I'd sell for £100 as I brought a Wattbike as I mostly train indoors now.

Same as this - https://www.kurtkinetic.com/trainers-products/rock-and-roll-smart-2

I had it setup at work and jumped on it whenever I had chance straight after work.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    I'm going by my experience. First turbo was bought 11 years ago. Lay unused for years because of the boredom element. Sold it for peanuts.

Since then I've had 2 smart trainers the first of which was about £300 (Tacx something) but I had to sell in order to leave the middle east. It was OK and I used it, sort of, successfully. The 2nd one (Kickr Core) is much more engaging and with Trainer Road and a pair of good quality BT, noise cancelling headphones I am fairly enthusiastic about turbo training. I live in Scotland and train in the garage. In the summer it is way too hot to train without the fan even with the garage door open. Even in the spring the fan is needed.

I know plenty of people who have been through a similar process and, eventually, given up on using a turbo largely because of the issues I raised.

The people who have made turbo training a success tend to be established cyclist looking to improve performance. A relative newbie or returner needs more engagement IMHO, of course.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    navrig2 said:

The people who have made turbo training a success tend to be established cyclist looking to improve performance. A relative newbie or returner needs more engagement IMHO, of course.

Absolutely agree. Any static exercise equipment is boring. Functional but boring. Proper cycling is more likely to give someone the bug and when it is enjoyable it is not a chore and easier to sustain. I rarely have to talk myself into going out for a ride.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"