Getting back into cycling

Haven't really cycled for 20 years but have put on weight over covid and think that cycling may help me to get back into shape and lose a few stone. Due to limited available time most of my cycling is going to have to be done on the turbo trainer. Any tips on a weekly training plan to get me started?

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Ideally you'd get set up with zwift or one of the other virtual world apps - really does make it a lot more enjoyable - I wish I'd done it sooner.

That apart I think it depends on the goal - lose weight, get faster etc etc. and then how much time you have available. I know you said time limited but there is a difference between being able to do a 3 hour ride one day and then an hour another vs 4 x 1 hour blocks.

If it was me I'd start with aiming to build up to 1 hour sessions at say 75% mhr - I realise these aren't tough sessions but from a low base they are enough to get you back into it - and listen to a few cycling training podcasts while I rode which will then give you an idea what sort of approach you want to take. There are lots on Spotify.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • DeVlaeminck
    Whatever you do I think you need a goal/structure - so some form of power measurement - it just helps track improvement and structure sessions - the latter can be done with HR of course but not so effectively especially at higher intensity.
  • crescent
    crescent Posts: 1,201
    Just my tuppence worth...
    Firstly, cycling is definitely an enjoyable way of burning calories and great exercise in general, so it is a good choice if your are looking to improve weight and fitness. However, and this is just my opinion, I would make every effort to fit in some real cycling whenever possible. Turbo trainers or static bikes etc are fine, some might even say that they can produce better/quicker results, but they are boring and unlikely to generate an enthusiasm for cycling the way a real bike ride would. The various apps and simulators certainly help but I definitely see them as a poor substitute for getting out on the bike. Every cyclist I know, who uses a static device, only does so because they really enjoy cycling and want to maintain a level of fitness when they can't get out on their real bike. I can't imagine anyone starting off using a static device and thinking "this is great, I'm going to buy a bike".
    Summer is here, allegedly, get out on the bike when you can and save the turbo for the days when you just can't manage a proper ride. I would even go as far as to say, just get some miles in and see how you go rather than being too analytical about it. Like I say, just my tuppence worth, not intentionally criticising your idea or any of the above advice.
    Bianchi ImpulsoBMC Teammachine SLR02 01Trek Domane AL3“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. “ ~H.G. Wells Edit - "Unless it's a BMX"
  • Munsford0
    Munsford0 Posts: 609
    For years I tried to use exercise to shift excess weight, and generally failed. Then I tried the 5:2 diet and lost 10% of my body weight in 3 months. I now do 5:2 eating more or less permanently to maintain a healthy weight / body shape (and for other potential benefits of intermittent fasting).

I still cycle a fair bit which means I also have pretty good cardiovascular fitness, but I can't rely on the exercise alone to keep the fat at bay.

So by all means knock yourself out on the turbo trainer, but if weight loss is your primary goal then look at your diet first.

• N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,846
    I wrote a boring story how I've turned my cycling fitness around since a ~3.5 week flu last October, but the short version is I've ridden everyday since Nov 2nd, gradually replacing more daily ~60mins "base" z1/2 with more short sub 20min Zwift races (basically VO2 Max z5+ intervals) since early Jan. Since mid March, I've tried to ditch the turbo races and chase my best Strava segment times outdoors, but still having plenty of days where I'm doing easy sessions.

If the weather is decent and you have local roads that aren't too hostile, try and get out and not use the turbo. Easy rides on the turbo can get very boring and as the weather gets warmer, even strong fans won't cool you enough.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    ^^ This.

Cycling is not really great for weight loss as such. It does work (obvs) but if that's your main goal, running is *far* more effective, if somewhat harder on the joints.

To lose weight cycling, even on a turbo trainer, you need to do a lot of miles/hours, at low/medium intensity. Ride, by all means, and enjoy the fitness gains anyway!

FWIW, I'm of the view that any exercise plan must be something you get to enjoy, and perhaps even *need* to do eventually. I've never really found that the whole "goal-oriented" plan like training for specific events, or defined power/performance gains lasts very long as inspiration. The problem with them for me is that you set a goal, then reach it and suddenly you're asking now what? Was there a point?

If I don't really look forward to just getting out the door and doing it, then no measurement goal is going to work.

Having said that, I bought a smart trainer last winter, assuming it was probably a gadget I'd get tired of real quick. Instead I found the diversion of riding "real" roads with the filmed courses remarkably good. I use Tacx Training, but there's plenty of others.

But as Munsford0 says, check your diet first. To be honest (and perhaps blunt) if you've gained significant weight in a relatively short time, your diet - specifically the calorie intake versus calories burnt - needs review.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    As has been said above. If your aim is to loose weight you need to change what you eat. Note I did not say eat less. Your progress at loosing weight by exercise only will be so slow that you will eventually just give up. Good luck, the path you are going down is not smooth but you have taken the first step.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

Any tips on a weekly training plan to get me started?

A 'weekly training plan' is going to depend entirely on you - and how much time you have available. Without knowing that, we're all jut guessing.

In any case, if you're coming back to cycling, you don't need a 'training plan' at this stage. Just ride as much as you can - whenever you can.

As others have said, weight loss is better addressed through diet. Cycling will help, but it's not the answer in itself.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    As above, cycle for enjoyment and general health.
    Losing weight is best done by eradicating unhealthy eating and drinking habits.
    Not a pleasant thought but you know what they are, and you know it is true.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    I think it depends - a sedentary lifestyle is linked quite strongly to weight gain so I'd be less dismissive about the impact of adding a reasonable amount of hours cycling a week.

I guess the key is what is considered reasonable - for some people it'll be 20 minutes 3 times a week - I'm thinking more 4-5 hours. You rarely see a fat postman and I doubt that because they are all on a diet.

• Munsford0
    pblakeney said:

That's what I find easy about 5:2 eating; I just have to be disciplined on Monday, when I feel I am recovering from the excesses of the weekend, and again on Thursday. Which is doable because I know I still get to eat and drink tasty stuff the very next day.
  • pblakeney
    Munsford0 said:

pblakeney said:

That's what I find easy about 5:2 eating; I just have to be disciplined on Monday, when I feel I am recovering from the excesses of the weekend, and again on Thursday. Which is doable because I know I still get to eat and drink tasty stuff the very next day.
    I dare say it works but on reflection I think I'd prefer a reduced 7:0 over that dramatic 2 day effective fasts.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Munsford0
    But it's the fasting bit that's good for you. Plus I have the impulse control of a labrador around food so I really cannot stick to 24-7 calorie restriction
  • pblakeney
    Each to their own.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • imposter2.0
    Maybe 6:1 as a compromise..?
  • Munsford0

Maybe 6:1 as a compromise..?

I sometimes do fall back to 6:1 when I'm at the weight / shape I want. I'm persuaded that intermittent fasting has benefits beyond weight loss / maintenance, so I think I'm sticking with it for the long term
  • OP - lots of these threads come up and the one thing that rarely gets a mention is how committed you are to getting fit and losing weight? As pointed out, it will be a combo of diet and exercise, but the main thing is to be consistent and accept that it is a long term lifestyle change if you really want to make it work.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Tbh, don't bescared of it - a lot of it is very simple.

If I'm getting fit for something:

1. Cut down if not out Mon - Fri boozing, just reduce Sat/Sun.

You're not a monk/elite athlete

2. Cut out massively unhealthy stuff - pies, 'scratchins, etc. Graze on chicken, veg, etc. Still enjoy an occasional packet of crisps or bag of chips.

You're not a monk....

3. Hydrate through the day - just water. Carry on with tea or coffee.

4. Get into an exercise regime - I'll do two sessions a day, first thing and at the end of work. When I was proper racing I'd do 25k into work, 20 at lunch and 25k on the way home. Resting HR of 34. 1 1/2 mile run in 8:20 at 40 y.o. Fastasfuck but 69kg @ 6'2 is a bad look and not exactly strong so not recommended.

5. Enjoy what you're doing. If you're not smiling and laughing you won't enjoy it and you'll do yourself aninjury and won't loae any weight.

Monk/athlete etc.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • You're not a monk....

Presumptuous MF, what if the OP is actually a Monk.....
  • MattFalle

You're not a monk....

Presumptuous MF, what if the OP is actually a Monk.....
    Hmmm - good point v well presented - and his vow of silence wouldn't cover chattin' on the 'net either.

Then again, Monks make loads of good beers and wear comfy clothes, so perhaps they have the right idea .....

#monastic
    #trappist
    #haircut
  • Munsford0
    #scratchyunderwear
  • MattFalle
    #holyunderwear
  • #beerinyourbidons
  • cryoman1965
    cryoman1965 Posts: 183
    Probably prefers Buckie.
  • imposter2.0
    MattFalle said:

and his vow of silence wouldn't cover chattin' on the 'net either.

I beg to differ. The monks on Caldey Island (cistercian order) have no such restrictions on speech - and they also have a pretty decent high speed internet connection.

It really depends on what kind of monastery the OP is residing in....

• they also have a pretty decent high speed internet connection.

How decent are we talking here, can it support Zwift and a 12 week base building programme on TrainerRoad.....

#VO2maxinacistercianhabit
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

I beg to differ. The monks on Caldey Island (cistercian order) have no such restrictions on speech - and they also have a pretty decent high speed internet connection.

Good point.

Do you reckon their sandals are SPD or cleats?
  • imposter2.0

they also have a pretty decent high speed internet connection.

How decent are we talking here, can it support Zwift and a 12 week base building programme on TrainerRoad.....

#VO2maxinacistercianhabit
    It was 30mbit/s around 10 years back, so it's probably a fair bit quicker now. I dunno, is that enough for zwift..?

• imposter2.0
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Good point.

Do you reckon their sandals are SPD or cleats?
    Good question - would have to be SPDs - mostly unmade paths on Caldey and they don't get off the Island much, what with being monks n all...
  • MattFalle