Giro 2022 - Stage 15: Rivarolo Canavese – Cogne 177 km ***Spoilers***

13»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

RichN95. said:

Active stage for the win. Got the feeling a GC opportunity was missed but easier said than done

The last climb, while long, was only about 5%. It would have taken a lot of resources to try to fashion an opportunity. After yesterday the top riders were satisfied to take their gains to the rest day. It was only really an opportunity for the Martin types who were mostly off the radar.
    They needed to go the first climb

It's stage 15. That's a stage 19/20 move.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Active stage for the win. Got the feeling a GC opportunity was missed but easier said than done

The last climb, while long, was only about 5%. It would have taken a lot of resources to try to fashion an opportunity. After yesterday the top riders were satisfied to take their gains to the rest day. It was only really an opportunity for the Martin types who were mostly off the radar.
    They needed to go the first climb

It's stage 15. That's a stage 19/20 move.
    Yeah it's desperate ..

I was thinking guys off the podium battle ... UAE positioned themselves but didn't have it . Thought the rest day looming might have encouraged something ... They all looked fried ..

Yeah I think the teams agree with you
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    One of those stages that wasnt fun to watch, but that doesnt take anything away from the winner's baller ride...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    I've just read this thread from start to finish and have no idea who won or what happened.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    None of us can work out how to spell the name...

Ceccini, Cojones, ciabatta...

That guy

Rides for trek

;)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    Pross said:

I've just read this thread from start to finish and have no idea who won or what happened.

Madonna's lad won
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Madonna's lad won
    David Banda?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,700
    edited May 2022

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    edited May 2022
    Pross said:

MVDP set off from km0 and was caught. Breakaway eventually formed and Ciccone from Trek whittled down the others and rode solo. Ineos just rode steady and the other GC riders were happy with that. Hard day yesterday and climbs not steep enough today. Ciccone won the Mortirolo stage 3 yrs ago in appalling weather so today was prob better but just as hard. Hugh Carthy came 4th on the stage
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,313
    I think I see MVDP’s thought process: I got everything up to 400m elevation covered - now what’s required for the 400-1500m climbs?
  • mididoctors

I think I see MVDP’s thought process: I got everything up to 400m elevation covered - now what’s required for the 400-1500m climbs?

Thinking is good ....doing it is better ...it's ambitious of him I must say
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 27,754

• RichN95.
    edited May 2022

There's a bit in the CSC documentary Overcoming where Jens Voigt attacks much to Bjarne Riis's despair. Riis says 'he's got ADHD for sure'. I think MDVP is the same. He's just easily bored. There's no thought process.
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,306
    perhaps like Voigt MvDP has too much energy. Ah to be young and talented.
  • mididoctors
    MvdP is to blame for the repeated high stage speeds ..pretty much every break he started/created got to line even if without him . Encouraged others to get into moves