Giro 2022 - Stage 15: Rivarolo Canavese – Cogne 177 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,741
Stage 15: Rivarolo Canavese – Cogne 177 km
Sunday, May 22nd, 11:15 BST

The first real Alpine stage is played out in the Valle d'Aosta. The 177 kilometres route sets off from Rivarolo Canavese, then takes in three long consecutive ascents, to finish in Cogne after a climb of 22.4 kilometres. These climbs are on wide and well-paved roads, with a number of hairpins in-between. Both is followed by a fast-running descent.

Once the flag has been dropped the riders race towards Ivrea, where they turn north to follow the Dora Baltea river upstream. The first 57 km of this stage are mostly flat going along the valley. At 86 km to go, the first climb of the day starts and there will barely be any flat to be found until the end of the stage. After the second climb, the route returns to exactly the same spot where it began – in Aymavilles. After crossing the Dora Baltea again the route continues in the valley of the Torrente Grand’Eyvia and the climb to Cogne.

The Climbs:

Pila-Les Fleurs: GPM1, 12.3 km at 6.9%. 30 years absent from the Giro.

Verrogne: GPM1, 13.8 km at 7.1%. Included in the 2019 edition.

Cogne: GPM1, 22.4 km at 4.3%. Hard at the start but little more than a false flat for the last 10kms.

Final kms
Over the last 4 km, from the centre of Cogne (with a short stretch of flagstone) all the way to the finish, the gradient hovers around 2.5% (kicking up a little just outside Cogne). The home straight is 300 m long, on tarmac road.

What to expect:

An elevation gain of almost 4,000 metres and an uphill finish would suggest it to be a day for the GC, especially as a rest day follows.
However, the finishing gradients are very moderate and the weekend GC battle has already taken place.
So the breakaway is more of a straightforward choice, with those with the best legs, to come to the fore over the initial climbs and the guy with the best kick, to take the win.

Favourites 15th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Bauke Mollema, Thomas De Gendt
**** Davide Formolo, Wout Poels, Koen Bouwman, Lennard Kämna
*** Guillaume Martin, Rein Taaramäe, Santiago Buitrago
** Tobias Foss, Giulio Ciccone, Sam Ooman
* Wilco Kelderman, Diego Rosa, Mauri Vansevenant, The GC.

Rivarolo Canavese

Rivarolo Canavese is in the plain, at the end of the Piedmontese valleys of the National Park of Gran Paradiso. It is 304 mt high of the sea level, and it is the most important and crowded centre of the Western Canavese, with its about 12.500 inhabitants. In 2020 the Regione Piemonte granted the town the title of Distretto Urbano del Commercio. (Trade Centre)

In Rivarolo you can find excellent restaurants, delicious pastry shops and very popular ice-cream parlours, where the Piedmontese, and in general the Italian tradition is always respected according to the ancient way, next to a new and modern look at the contemporary cookery, trying a good and exquisite use of the raw materials.
At the end of June, in Mastri, a cute hamlet of Rivarolo, there is “TOMINO” festival. Tomino is a kind of fresh or aged cheese produced in this area.

The famous “SALAMPATATA”, a DE.CO product ( Common Designation),is a fresh salami with potatoes inside that you can eat in the cold season uncooked – the best way- or cooked in the oven.

Cogne

Situated in the Aosta Valley region, Cogne, at 1,544 meters above sea level, in the heart of the Gran Paradiso National Park. Once an important mining centre for the extraction of iron, Cogne is now one of the “Pearls of the Alps”, a tourist resort famous for the quality of its hospitality which it has developed while respecting and safeguarding its natural heritage.
Close by to Cogne lies the Gran Paradiso, the only one of the 4 “four thousand” in the region – Mont Blanc, The Matterhorn and Monte Rosa being the others.

Gastronomy

In addition to the Fontina DOP, produced throughout the territory of Aosta Valley, you can also taste other cheeses made from cow’s and goat’s milk as well as other milk derivatives, such as locally produced butter and yogurt.

Typical of the Aymavilles area, located at the entrance to Cogne valley, is Favò, a delicious traditional dish based on broad beans, Fontina DOP cheese, black bread toasted in butter, sausages, bacon and pasta, which goes well with a fragrant red wine like the Torrette DOC.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    edited May 2022
    It was on a similar stage in 2019 that Carapaz laid down the foundations for his GC win.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    edited May 2022
    andyp said:

It was on a similar stage in 2019 that Carapaz laid down the foundations for his GC win.

His repeated accelerations that day were note worthy . Unmatched
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    andyp said:

My memory was everyone let him go, because he wasn't perceived to be a big threat despite fairly decent previous performances.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,129

andyp said:

My memory was everyone let him go, because he wasn't perceived to be a big threat despite fairly decent previous performances.
    This is my memory as well.
  • mididoctors

andyp said:

Yeah I think.your right thinking about it ...he did attack repeatedly iirc
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Salampatata traditionally was made with blood, fat and potatoes… you can still find it and it’s the best one… the bloodless one is quite underwhelming, in comparison…
    left the forum March 2023
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069

andyp said:

Nibali and Roglic were so wary of one another that they neglected to perceive Carapaz as a threat, despite him finishing 4th in the Giro the year before. They'd let him gain over a minute the day before so it was a high risk game, as Roglic discovered over the rest of the Giro.
  • mididoctors
    I remember the snow
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Cracking Bike Park in Pila...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • kingstongraham
    Feels like one to miss if you're only interested in the gc.

With that weather forecast, it should look stunning.
  • blazing_saddles
    This week, TV viewers are getting shafted on a few days by the slowest surface on the tennis circuit: Roland Garros.
    Today they will miss the opening salvos of the breakaway battle. Not sure whether they will stick to advertised schedules or until matches are completed.

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    Is anyone rlse watching it on Eurosprt GCN and have no commentary?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • blazing_saddles
    A big crash!
    Carapaz down but appears unhurt.
  • blazing_saddles
    Bora should attack as the racing is on.
  • kingstongraham
    Ineos car brings them all back. Break still not formed.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,900
    MattFalle said:

Last time I had that issue I'd picked the non-live show feed. Picked the one with the live show and it was fine 🤷‍♂️
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    JimD666 said:

MattFalle said:

Last time I had that issue I'd picked the non-live show feed. Picked the one with the live show and it was fine 🤷‍♂️
    Yep. I have commentary.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • MattFalle
    JimD666 said:

MattFalle said:

Grazie! Esport 1&2 are tennis, so have gone through the Esport Extras to no avail.

Any ideas?
  • kingstongraham
    If it doesn't go soon, the peloton is going to split anyway.
  • mididoctors
    Ok I got Roland garros... And they are not switching away
  • MattFalle

Ok I got Roland garros... And they are not switching away

Esport 2 says giro live but its outdoor ping pong
  • mididoctors
    Tiz is blocked ....
  • mididoctors
    Both match's going to 3 sets FFS
  • DeadCalm
    Kamna seems very keen to be in the break. Are Bora so convinced that it won't be a GC day that he's been given his head, or are they looking to have him up there to help later on?
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • blazing_saddles
    Don’t you just love how Eurosport worship the most boring form of tennis there is?

I will update for you unfortunates.
    53 kms covered in not much more than one hour and still the battle of the breakaway goes on.

Very alpine now.
  • blazing_saddles
    Simon Yates starting to look interested
  • MattFalle
    Back in on E2

GET IN!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    MattFalle said:

Back in on E2

GET IN!

Thanks!
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Prudhomme in the break. Is he any relation?
  • DeadCalm
    Dutch triumvirate out in front.
    Team My Man 2022: