Giro 2022 - Stage 13: Sanremo – Cuneo 150 km ***Spoilers***

13»

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,398
    Just watched the highlights - break should have made that...

Cav clearly missing Morkov - he had to go the very long way round for 3rd there, came from miles back.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    I think it shows people will always find something to complain about. If a favourite goes on the attack and wins by a big margin on the first mountain stage you get 'the race is over with two weeks to go, this is boring' and if no-one gains a meaningful gap in the first two weeks it's 'the GC race hasn't got started, this is boring'. There were attempts at racing in Blockhaus but most of the top contenders are evenly matched and no-one could get a meaningful gap which bodes well for a good final week. Just a shame that Bardet had to leave as he was looking a real threat.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,445
    Pross said:

For me some of the stages that have looked unpromising have delivered surprisingly good racing. I've come to not expect too much from the 'GC stages' as they rarely deliver. That said I'm surprised today isn't a mountain stage.

It features some stiff climbs and could be a GC day today. No-one really knows, but it is definitely a medium mountain stage.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    edited May 2022
    I think it's the loss of two of the big name contenders without them really firing a shot that's disappointing.

Still it'll depend on what the rest can do - if you'd shown me the remaining contenders before the start I'd have said it's Carapaz's to lose but Landa is looking more like his best and a few others are close enough that they might spring a surprise.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    andyp said:

Pross said:

For me some of the stages that have looked unpromising have delivered surprisingly good racing. I've come to not expect too much from the 'GC stages' as they rarely deliver. That said I'm surprised today isn't a mountain stage.

It features some stiff climbs and could be a GC day today. No-one really knows, but it is definitely a medium mountain stage.
    Sure, I just always expect to see big mountain stages on the middle weekend of a GT when the TV audiences are at their biggest. Possibly more of a Tour thing though.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,455

I think it's the loss of two of the big name contenders without them really firing a shot that's disappointing.

Still it'll depend on what the rest can do - if you'd shown me the remaining contenders before the start I'd have said it's Carapaz's to lose but Landa is looking more like his best and a few others are close enough that they might spring a surprise.

At risk of me having to eat my words, Landa is a fake contender. His lack of TT ability will do him in like it always does.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023