Giro 2022 - Stage 13: Sanremo – Cuneo 150 km ***Spoilers***

blazing_saddles
blazing_saddles Posts: 21,816
edited May 2022 in Pro race
Stage 13: Sanremo – Cuneo 150 km
Friday, May 20th, 12:20 BST

After tackling one single climb, the Colle di Nava, (GPM3, 10.4 km at 6.6%) in the first part of the route, the stage takes a long ride through the Cuneo plain, as the route just slowly goes down a valley.

As soon as the stage hits the lowlands, the main obstacles will be the ones typically found in urban areas. with one remaining bump on the road which comes at the second intermediate sprint in S.Michele di Mondovì: an uncategorized ramp with just 5% average for a couple of kms.
The home straight is on a slight incline.

The Climb.

Final kms
The final kilometres are raced on wide, straight and well-paved urban roads, with a few roundabouts along the route. At the entrance of the old town, the riders will ride on flagstone for 800 metres, before taking in the last km. The home straight is on tarmac road, with an average 2.5% gradient.

What to expect:

The question remains whether or not any teams see a benefit to drop pure sprinters on the Colle di Nava and to spend energy during the following 100 kilometres to prevent them from regaining contact.
So, the breakaway can make it, thanks to the Colle di Nava, but there is definitely enough room for the peloton to reel them back. Take your pick.

Favourites 13th stage 2022 Giro d’Italia

***** Arnaud Démare
**** Fernando Gaviria, Giacomo Nizzolo, Matthew van der Poel
*** Alberto Dainese, Simoni Consonni
** Mark Cavendish, Phil Bauhaus
* , Cees Bol, Davide Ballerini, Edward Theuns

Sanremo

Nestled at the heart of the temperate Ligurian Riviera, and kissed by the sun, Sanremo is an attractive year-round destination. Sanremo is a city for foodies, with its quintessentially Mediterranean cuisine offering the true and genuine hallmark flavours of nature.
Plus, of course it is the spiritual home of La Primavera.

Food

Local cuisine is a reflection of the territory, offering a combination of ingredients from the land and the sea. Traditional recipes often use basic but top-quality ingredients. The highly prized local red shrimps, caught in the sea of the ‘city of flowers’, are among the world’s finest. They have a delicate, flavour-packed flesh, and they are usually eaten pan seared.

Sardenaira, a scrumptious focaccia bread topped with tomato, olives, anchovies and garlic, truly embodies the combination of every possible local flavour. Named after an ancient recipe in which sardines were used instead of anchovies.

Beverages

Highly regarded by wine experts and connoisseurs, Rossese di Dolceacqua was the first Ligurian wine to obtain DOC status. It was said to be a favourite with Napoleon Bonaparte, who always wanted to have a few barrels available during his military campaigns. Ruby red in colour, with a delicate but intense aroma, it pairs well with meat dishes such as coniglio alla ligure.

Cuneo

Cuneo, capital of the Granda province, is located on a plateau that widens and opens into the majesty of the south-western Alps. Alps. Completely immersed in nature, surrounded by the Gesso and Stura River Park, it has earned the nickname of Green Capital of Piedmont.
Founded in the Middle Ages (1198), it is a welcoming and hospitable city, which winds over more than 8 km of porticoes, a long open-air shopping centre divided between the historic centre and the new city.

Gastronomy

Cuneo’s gastronomic personality is expressed in dishes that combine ancient habits and an austere but, at the same time, joyful collection of recipes. Stuffed vegetables, omelettes and savoury pies are the traditional first courses of this region. To name a few: caponèt (the o is read u), siole piene , friceuj ‘d ris, subric (mashed potatos, egg, cheese and salt cooked and mixed), aromatic herb omelette, green pie and potato pie.

A taste of local cheeses is not to be missed. Toma, popularly defined as “Piemontese”, Tomini di Melle (Varaita Valley), Raschera and Castelmagno are the “fabulous four” worthy of mention.

Finally, it is worthy of note the “queen” of the Cuneo culinary tradition: the chestnut. It is not a surprise that the tree that produces the fruit is also called the bread tree because the man draws gastronomic and commercial benefits from it, selling fruits, leaves and timber. The hilly and foothill landscape of Cuneo has been characterized by this friendly tree for centuries. At the table, it can be enjoyed in the fabulous Castagnaccio cake o in the refined Montebianco cake.

Beverages

Cuneo and wine are an inseparable combination. The wines are the highest and most universally known expression of the Cuneo region. Cuneo is recognized as a land of great wines for its number of DOC and DOCG wines and for the vineyards with designation of origin and produces the most famous Italian wine in the world, Barolo.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Weird stage profile and that must be the most consistent gradient climb I've ever seen.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,649
    The Colle di Nava is the fake Turchino they used in Milan San Remo in 2020.

It's a wide road that takes the road away from the coast onto the plateau
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Is it a Cat 2 or Cat 3 climb? Unless my eyes are playing up the map says 3 and profile says 2.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    edited May 2022
    It's cat 3 today - I checked the garibaldi.

• kingstongraham
    I can't work out who is going to fancy being in the break today. Probably only Tagliani, there's only 9 points available for KOM, so anyone interested in blue will be better holding off until tomorrow when there's 81 points up for grabs.
  • blazing_saddles
    Looking further ahead, the weather seems to be set pretty much fair for the rest of the race. If so, it will be one of the driest, sunniest in recent memory. (2009 springs to mind, but other than...)
    Not only that, the temperatures look to be rocketing over the weekend. Tomorrow is set to be particularly sweaty.

I mention this, thinking upon Simon Yates and what he might have planned for the remainder of the race.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500

I can't work out who is going to fancy being in the break today. Probably only Tagliani, there's only 9 points available for KOM, so anyone interested in blue will be better holding off until tomorrow when there's 81 points up for grabs.

Will that help or hinder those who see today's break as a means to get a stage win?
  • kingstongraham
    singleton said:

Will that help or hinder those who see today's break as a means to get a stage win?
    I think there'll be enough sprinter teams together to bring back a small break over 97km. It's a weird profile.
  • blazing_saddles
    So the flag was dropped by the supermarket that comes just before the Poggio in M-Sr.

I have shopped in there.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,867
    What's happening? Soft break or a fight ?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    Break of 5 is gone - Dronehopper and Eolo Kometa in there.
  • kingstongraham
    edited May 2022

What's happening? Soft break or a fight ?

Nothing too serious. Tagliani day.
  • kingstongraham
    FDJ not giving them too many minutes advantage, in expectation of Demare losing time on the climb.
  • mididoctors
    Thanks
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,934
    Bardet abandon?!
  • Graphics say Bardet has abandoned
  • blazing_saddles
    Bardet abandons?
    That can’t be right, surely…
  • bianchi_dave
    bianchi_dave Posts: 847
    Oh crap, he's in the car
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Stomach issues apparently.
  • JimD666
    JimD666 Posts: 1,934
    He's in the car.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,100
    Censored, censored, censored!
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • mididoctors
    FFS bardet was going so well
  • bianchi_dave
    Was looking forward to him contending. Been showing his best form for years. Still, can concentrate on the Tour now I suppose
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • blazing_saddles
    It’s not as if the GC was stacked before..
  • Gutted
  • bianchi_dave

It’s not as if the GC was stacked before..

No, it certainly wasn't. One horse race now? Unless Landa can keep it going, which given his history is unlikely
    Scott Addict RC
    Scott Foil Premium
    Trek Emonda Disc
    Scott Solace 10
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Booo, looked like he might have finally brought a challenge this year :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mididoctors
    Jai hindley hopefully comes good to make it more a race ...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    edited May 2022

Looking further ahead, the weather seems to be set pretty much fair for the rest of the race. If so, it will be one of the driest, sunniest in recent memory. (2009 springs to mind, but other than...)
    Not only that, the temperatures look to be rocketing over the weekend. Tomorrow is set to be particularly sweaty.

Good job i'm off to Italy on holiday tomorrow :)
  • kingstongraham

Graphics say Bardet has abandoned

This makes me sad.

Still, can he go Tour now?