Giro 2022 - Stage 10: Pescara – Jesi 196 km ***Spoilers***

124»

Comments

• blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,813
    He was supposed to take the cork out, but instead gets taken out by the cork.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    edited May 2022
    I have opened the odd bottle of fizz in my time and I always have to give the cork a serious twist to get it to move. I guess someone might have given that bottle a bit a shake before it was placed on the podium.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    webboo said:

I have opened the odd bottle of fizz in my time and I always have to give the cork a serious twist to get it to move. I guess someone might have given that bottle a bit a shake before it was placed on the podium.

Temperature maybe? I've had it happen once and learned not to look down at the bottle whilst removing the wrapping.
  • webboo
    Pross said:

webboo said:

Temperature maybe? I've had it happen once and learned not to look down at the bottle whilst removing the wrapping.
    I can’t imagine anyone using a bottle of WARM sparkling wine on a podium. So I don’t temperature would come in to it.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Girmay had 3 teammates left when MvdP had none. MvdP forced to close too many gaps which made him have to counter himself. Even when he got reeled in by the Simon Yates group no one besides Yates would work with him.
    MvdP definitely had the legs and I can't even fault him for riding stupidly. He was forced to do a ton of work since pretty much no one works with him at all. Not having WVA, Alaphilippe or Pogacar in the race is both blessing and curse for a rider like MvdP.
    During all this time Girmay could sit in the wheels and conserve pretty much all his energy. Girmay did a fantastic job of riding tactically smart. Trusted in his teammates and came through like a boss when it mattered. Fantastic job by Wanty and Girmay.
    Alpecin should really look into why Wanty had 4 riders in the finale to them having only MvdP.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    edited May 2022
    webboo said:

I can’t imagine anyone using a bottle of WARM sparkling wine on a podium. So I don’t temperature would come in to it.

I can imagine it. It’s a sport podium, not a wine bar
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,862
    Girmay is pretty savy
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • webboo
    RichN95. said:

webboo said:

It might a sport podium but they are using it to promote their local produce which won’t be warm wine.
  • mididoctors
    Did anyone else think the GC attacks were a bit desperate .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    m.r.m. said:

Girmay had 3 teammates left when MvdP had none. MvdP forced to close too many gaps which made him have to counter himself. Even when he got reeled in by the Simon Yates group no one besides Yates would work with him.
    MvdP definitely had the legs and I can't even fault him for riding stupidly. He was forced to do a ton of work since pretty much no one works with him at all. Not having WVA, Alaphilippe or Pogacar in the race is both blessing and curse for a rider like MvdP.
    During all this time Girmay could sit in the wheels and conserve pretty much all his energy. Girmay did a fantastic job of riding tactically smart. Trusted in his teammates and came through like a boss when it mattered. Fantastic job by Wanty and Girmay.
    Alpecin should really look into why Wanty had 4 riders in the finale to them having only MvdP.

Yeah MvdP's usual script has changed with out the usual suspects in the race
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    edited May 2022
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,005
    m.r.m. said:

I don't recall ever seeing Wanty (or predecessors) looking like major players before. Presumably having a proper contender helps team morale a lot. Have they had other team/ds changes too?
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

Doesn't seem to be an eyepatch here. Looks like he's ok

It's exactly a year since I tore a retina (the first in a two part series). He looks in better shape than I did
  • ddraver
    edited May 2022
    So...if we were on the start line tomorrow, what would we be calling him?

Bini-Arrrrrr-m?

Blinky-am?
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    edited May 2022
    ddraver said:

So...if we were on the start line tomorrow, what would we be calling him?

Bini-Arrrrrr-m?

Blinky-am?

Nick Fury?

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    ddraver said:

His eye is closed though. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    webboo said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

It might a sport podium but they are using it to promote their local produce which won’t be warm wine.
    Nah, it's a visual advert. No-one drinks it, it was probably sitting out the back of the podium for hours on what was a warm stage.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,813
    Apparently, he definitely is DNS.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/1526801513892524033
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mididoctors
    RichN95. said:

ddraver said:

It's exactly a year since I tore a retina (the first in a two part series). He looks in better shape than I did
    Oufff!
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    pblakeney said:

ddraver said:

His eye is closed though. 😉
    Apparently he had severe bleeding in the anterior chamber of his eye, and the eye patch was removed just for the social media group celebration photo. I imagine he will almost certainly (need to) wear the patch for the next few days.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    Fingers crossed it heals fully.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,604
    Pross said:

webboo said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

Nah, it's a visual advert. No-one drinks it, it was probably sitting out the back of the podium for hours on what was a warm stage.
    Id have thought they would want it warm, to get the best 'spray'?

Riders should have some sort of eye protection deals that they could use for these occasions?

Anyway, such a shame. Feel so bad for him.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • ddraver
    Oh FFS!
    - @ddraver
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631
    Always scares me when other people open champagne.

In case it helps save someone's eye, the way to do it is to put one hand on top and open the metal tie thing with the other. If the cork doesn't pop off then turn the bottle with one hand while holding the cork with the other.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Perhaps it's time to stop having fizzy alcohol (or any alcohol) on the podium.
    Personal opinion - it shoud go the way of the podium girls, a tradition that has outlasted its time.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,789
    How many ways to remove simple joys out of life.....
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    Got to sting for the sponsor that it's being described on the news as a champagne cork.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

Got to sting for the sponsor that it's being described on the news as a champagne cork.

It's just taken out one of the more popular winners in this year's Giro in spectacularly dramatic fashion. They're possibly happy to pass the blame on this one...
  • Pross

It's just taken out one of the more popular winners in this year's Giro in spectacularly dramatic fashion. They're possibly happy to pass the blame on this one...
    To the French as well which is a real bonus!