Giro 2022 - Stage 9: Isernia – Blockhaus 189 km ***Spoilers***

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

Yates 11:15 down!

Crushed ... sad ..I wonder what the issue was ?
    He's had an issue with his knee
    They saying it was the knee? He talked the knee down pre stage

Apparently he said post stage it was a problem, but not the only problem.
    Yeah just hearing on cycling podcast
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Really disappointed for Yates
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    With Pozzovivo, Valverde and Nibali in the top 8 and Porte playing a big part, the real 'golden generation' (riders born 1980-85) are still showing their quality
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,336
    Is Porte the best mountain domestique ever? Can the case be made?
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    m.r.m. said:

A case can be made certainly. I think the Froome-Porte partnership is as iconic as the Cavendish-Renshaw one
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

He's also quoted as saying he was affected by the heat, again.
    Odd, for a former Vuelta winner.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531
    RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

A case can be made certainly. I think the Froome-Porte partnership is as iconic as the Cavendish-Renshaw one
    It was not an iconic partnership.

Successful perhaps.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

Successful perhaps.
    I agree with Rick on this.
    Froome porte partnership was highly successful, that isn't a debate, however, I think if you placed any other strong climber in place of porte then the outcome would have been the same.

Let's not forget, porte was touted as a future GC contender earlier in his career. He fell short in that respect but obviously his ability to fit with the team sky /ineos tactics was a match made in heaven. Not sure it can be classed as iconic though.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715

RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

Successful perhaps.
    Agreed. I could have told you Renshaw was Cav's main wing man.
    I couldn't have named Froome's.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

He's also quoted as saying he was affected by the heat, again.
    Odd, for a former Vuelta winner.
    Interestingly, unlike Adam, he has never really ridden the season-opening events in the Middle East. In his entire career he's only ever done the UAE Tour once (and came 75th).
  • mididoctors
    Porte had the engine but handled the pressure poorly relative to his rivals . being written off actually helped get to the podium that year.

Thee were several Porte superdomestique moments I remember. Dropping nibali with froome stands out . But froome often got good drive out of his climbers who ever they were . Kenny Elissonde did the same thing ..

You could argue cav partnerships were chop and change too .. eisel renshaw morkov..

I think the sprinter combinations are a lot tighter and longer lasting thou
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

Successful perhaps.
    Been a lot . Porte, landa ,ellisonde ,Thomas .
  • mididoctors
    Portes biggest superdomestique "save" has to be getting froome a gel on the double alpe d huez stage
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,715

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

Successful perhaps.
    Been a lot . Porte, landa ,ellisonde ,Thomas .
    Exactly. Porte was not the one that he relied on and couldn't have done without.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    edited May 2022
    FWIW - I agree with Rich, I can't think of a more iconic duo from the last 15 years.

Cav has also had several lead out men in his career, EBH, Wiggins, oh and some dude called Morkov

Doesn't this picture make every british cycling fan misty eyed? I'd argue it's more iconic than all of the above...

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    Surely "Third Week Wout" deserves a namecheck here in the list of Froome's mountain domestiques?

I'm with those saying it's not so iconic. I'd put e.g. Sagan - Oss/Bodnar ahead
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,253
    Buchmann laying some blame for his mechanical on hot disc brakes contributing to a wheel collapse.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    I'm not sure there is rider/domestique pairing from recent history that I'd call iconic but the first pair that springs to mind would be Cav/Renshaw or maybe Sagan/Oss.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Kwiatkowski parking up after emptying himself.

That photo above is epic, but also cool with danish national champion (brain fog forget name) also supporting leadout.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,905
    It's undoubtedly an unfashionable pick, but Hincapie would be up there in terms of quality domestiques. I always thought Udo Bolts was good for Ullrich as well.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,531
    It was a fun stage.
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Getting back to stage 9 - can anyone tell me if the sprinters all survived, please?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,207
    flite said:

Getting back to stage 9 - can anyone tell me if the sprinters all survived, please?

They did
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Thank you
  • mididoctors

Surely "Third Week Wout" deserves a namecheck here in the list of Froome's mountain domestiques?

I'm with those saying it's not so iconic. I'd put e.g. Sagan - Oss/Bodnar ahead

Won him the subutamol vuelta
  • mididoctors

flite said:

They did
    The cut off was enormous
  • mididoctors
    phreak said:

It's undoubtedly an unfashionable pick, but Hincapie would be up there in terms of quality domestiques. I always thought Udo Bolts was good for Ullrich as well.

Udo bolts saved Ulrich in the Vosges Vs virenque
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,036
    Any thoughts on Kelderman's claims that overheating disk brakes melted his spokes, costing him 10 minutes?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    davidof said:

Any thoughts on Kelderman's claims that overheating disk brakes melted his spokes, costing him 10 minutes?

Presumably his spokes were carbon fibre given they melted. How does he know he didn’t just get them wet. ;)
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,336
    Everyone else is also on disc brakes and had no problems.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023