The Hell of the North 2022 ***Spoilers***

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,377
    ddraver said:

Were we really saying this guy has no chance of winning this morning..?

They told him to go piano piano round the bend but he didn't listen.
    Even though I don't speak much Italian, sounded like a better feed than snatch err, Hatch.

Aside no. 1: DvB - what a classy looking ride from him today.
    Aside no. 2: Gilbert - Legend. So sad he's at the end of his career.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,333
    Rolf Sørensen got pretty freaked by Ganna today. "reminds me of Moser" and "he'll win this one day"
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    ddraver said:

Taking one for the team...

There was a lot of impact punctures ... Especially Front tubeless tyres becoming unseated?

I struggle to see how tubeless tyres are any worse in that respect. I don't think I've ever burped a front wheel on the MTB.

Front punctures are a bit of a mystery really...
    30/35mm tubeless tyres smashing off cobbles for long periods of time doesn’t seem to be a good idea. Cuts and punctures fine, but I bet they go back to tubs for the pave next year.

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602

Rolf Sørensen got pretty freaked by Ganna today. "reminds me of Moser" and "he'll win this one day"

That sector where he was chasing back after his puncture was incredible. He possibly put too much into it, especially as the group's ultimately came back together, but it was as good a ride on cobbles as I can recall.
  • roscoe
    roscoe Posts: 465
    Pross said:

Ineos's dominance is boring..................................

Fair play to them tbh .. they are winning races without having the top tier favourites. Oddly there GT challenges are likely to falter this year with pog and Rog out muscling everyone else
    I don't think it is a coincidence. It feels like they know they are outsiders for the GTs at present and have switched focus.

It was noticeable how the impetus went out of the first big group once Ineos had a few issues. As someone else said, the only fair winners today would have been Mohoric or an Ineos rider.

Thought it was one of the best editions I've seen today. Never quite sure until the last 10k what would happen and wasn't a case of favourites marking each other out of it.
    Interesting interview with DS Roger Hammond on the Cycling Podcast Arrivee show. He was saying they know they may not have the best riders so have to come up with something else, something unexpected.

No coincidence that he has been the DS in charge for the last 2 Paris Roubaix victories.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Just watched it (did a 17 mile walk in the Peak yesterday and couldn't stay awake to watch it in the evening).

Good edition - just needed a sprint for the win but you can't have it all.

Van Baarle looked like the strongest to me - maybe Mohoric.

Think Lampaert is being a bit unfair to the spectator - 50:50 incident - the guy is not on the road after all.

What happened to Ganna in the end just ran out of gas?

Was surprised nobody went with the Mohoric/Lampaert attack and then let VanBaarle ride off in pursuit both looked dangerous in the moment.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,621
    Ganna was in the top 40 of the finishers - suspect he may have come in in that big group.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812

What happened to Ganna in the end just ran out of gas?

I was wondering the same then watched his effort to get back after a puncture.
    I assume he burnt too many matches with that effort but happy to be told otherwise.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Ganna had two punctures and had to chase back alone both times. He looked absolutely incredible doing it, but must have cooked himself in the end
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,819
    edited April 2022
    mrb123 said:

Ganna was in the top 40 of the finishers - suspect he may have come in in that big group.

He did.
    Right at the back though, because he sat up and didn’t contest the sprint.

I think we have just witnessed the best Flanders/Roubaix double header for many a year.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • DeVlaeminck
    The thing that surprised me yesterday was the amount of punctures. If they are mostly on tubeless tyres I thought that was supposed to eliminate pinch flats and that sealant was meant to seal the majority of normal punctures.

Anyone have any theories about what went wrong?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Yes, the air fell out
  • No_Ta_Doctor

The thing that surprised me yesterday was the amount of punctures. If they are mostly on tubeless tyres I thought that was supposed to eliminate pinch flats and that sealant was meant to seal the majority of normal punctures.

Anyone have any theories about what went wrong?

Lasse Norman Hansen was asked this by DK TV yesterday, he said he thought a lot of teams had been experimenting with even lower pressure than normal for P-R.
    I was wondering if the very dry conditions influence it though - either making it easier to pick up bits of flint or, more likely, making riding the verge more attractive.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    One guesses that the teams are still new to this technology, and aren't sure what does, and doesn't work. I'd guess they're probably running too low pressures for 30-32mm tyres. And I wonder how many teams were running foam inserts, if any?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • DeVlaeminck
    andyrac said:

One guesses that the teams are still new to this technology, and aren't sure what does, and doesn't work. I'd guess they're probably running too low pressures for 30-32mm tyres. And I wonder how many teams were running foam inserts, if any?

I read that at least one were planning on using foam inserts and another were experimenting with them - there may be more just what I came across.

What would the issues be of running too low pressure - burping on rough cobbles and losing even more pressure? There's a pic of (I think - not certain) WvAs bike with a CO2 inflator attached to the bottle cage - whether that was just for a reccy rather than the race though I don't know - I can't imagine him using it mid race.

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,874
    It was the fastest PR ever so I guess the tech can't all be bad
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • RichN95.

It was the fastest PR ever so I guess the tech can't all be bad

The sixth fastest was in 1948
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    Reverse angle on the accident

Note smooth path blocked by barriers until just before the corner

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,943
    Van Baarle one of those winners you wouldn't necessarily pick before hand, but makes a lot of sense in the post mortem
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    We must remember that Ineos did this in the last edition too and, depending on your point of view, only bad luck or karma stopped Moscon winning!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,392
    edited April 2022
    Turns out Museeuw is a Must-Follow on the gram...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcgSmDnDCrj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,743
    edited April 2022
    ddraver said:

Turns out Museeuw is a Must-Follow on the gram...

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CcgSmDnDCrj/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Go look for the interview where he describes leading solo over the Kapelmuur in the ToF as almost literally “orgasmic”
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042

Think Lampaert is being a bit unfair to the spectator - 50:50 incident - the guy is not on the road after all.

He was on the tarmac in front of where the other spectators were standing. I think he was pretty idiotic tbh.

BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132

Reverse angle on the accident

Note smooth path blocked by barriers until just before the corner

There's a white line - I'd say spectators shouldn't cross it. However, I don't know how you'd implement it.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    edited April 2022
    Lampaert rode straight at him.

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,812
    It’s a fairly simple basic principle. Don’t stand on the road during a road race.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • RichN95.
    pblakeney said:

It’s a fairly simple basic principle. Don’t stand on the road during a road race.

Yep. If there's some grass or a raised level available then stand on it.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,274
    pblakeney said:

Don't ride off the road during a road race.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    I've got mixed feelings on this as he seemed to veer quite suddenly to get off the cobbles. If the spectator wasn't a cycling regular (I don't know either way) they might have been expecting the riders to remain on the cobbles in a race that advertises the cobbles as being its primary feature. I don't se this as comparable with the Tour incident at all