1235»

Comments

• bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    True.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    gweeds said:

What's going on with WvA then - is this from his crash? I'm assuming he's not taking any chances coming into the classics.

Think the plan was from the beginning to take it easy and not empty himself to save form for the classics. Last year he also went too deep spurned on by MvdP's stage win and suicide attack in Tirreno Adriatico while also fighting for the sprint jersey (not entirely sure about the jersey, but I think he was trying for it).
    The knock he got on the knee probably now makes him pull the plug even earlier on the super hard MTF stages.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    m.r.m. said:

gweeds said:

What's going on with WvA then - is this from his crash? I'm assuming he's not taking any chances coming into the classics.

Think the plan was from the beginning to take it easy and not empty himself to save form for the classics. Last year he also went too deep spurned on by MvdP's stage win and suicide attack in Tirreno Adriatico while also fighting for the sprint jersey (not entirely sure about the jersey, but I think he was trying for it).
    The knock he got on the knee probably now makes him pull the plug even earlier on the super hard MTF stages.
    MvdP's attack justly grabbed the headlines, not least because he won the stage, but Pogacar put 2 minutes into Bernal and the rest of the GC contenders that day, which given he won the previous day's stage as well typified the kind of dominance we're now seeing as standard.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

gweeds said:

MvdP's attack justly grabbed the headlines, not least because he won the stage, but Pogacar put 2 minutes into Bernal and the rest of the GC contenders that day, which given he won the previous day's stage as well typified the kind of dominance we're now seeing as standard.
    Is there anyone not at either of the races this week who can fill some of the chasm between the Slovenians and the rest?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 said:

phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

gweeds said:

Is there anyone not at either of the races this week who can fill some of the chasm between the Slovenians and the rest?
    There is, but he's currently regrowing his spine over in Colombia
  • phreak
    gsk82 said:

phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

gweeds said:

Not for me. I can't think of a stage race where Bernal has beaten either of them since Bernal won the Tour. For instance, if you look at Bernal and Pogacar's head to head, it's pretty strongly in favor of Pogacar.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider-vs-rider/egan-bernal/tadej-pogacar/same-race-results

With Roglic it's even more in favour of the Slovenian

https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider-vs-rider/egan-bernal/primoz-roglic/same-race-results

So I'm not sure Bernal is really on their level. I'd say he's probably quite comfortably the 3rd best stage race rider in the world, but not on their level.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,803
    phreak said:

So I'm not sure Bernal is really on their level. I'd say he's probably quite comfortably the 3rd best stage race rider in the world, but not on their level.

That'll be filling the chasm without making it to the other side. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • phreak
    pblakeney said:

phreak said:

That'll be filling the chasm without making it to the other side. 😉
    Touche.
  • drhaggis
    drhaggis Posts: 1,150
    gsk82 said:

phreak said:

m.r.m. said:

gweeds said:

I would like to think an in-form Carapaz would at least make them put a good effort. May be wishful thinking. I can't see Evenepoel being a rival in a GT, but 1-week races other than Dauphine could be in the table (yet he lost 4 minutes yesterday in Tirreno).

I like to look at it differently, though. Both slovenians are amazing competitors, in different teams, and happy to go blow for blow no matter where.
  • phreak
    https://www.procyclingstats.com/rider-vs-rider/tadej-pogacar/primoz-roglic/same-race-results

What is perhaps interesting is that, while they don't race each other often, when they do, neither of them practically ever finish outside the top 10.
  • Another interesting stat that today is the first time Paris Nice has finished in Nice for 3 years
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    edited March 2022
    I agree with phreak. Bernal is not at Roglic' or Pogacar's level. He is only slightly worse at climbing, but they are much better at ITT's. He will always lose time in time trials which will perennially put him on the back foot.
    Carapaz is no where close to them. I consider Bernal better than Carapaz at GT's and Carapaz will massively ship time to them in ITT's of any reasonable length.

There is no one else who can even climb with them outside of maybe Quintana, Bernal, Carapaz on their very best days. There is absolutely no one who can do that and time trial with them.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    m.r.m. said:

Carapaz is no where close to them. I consider Bernal better than Carapaz at GT's and Carapaz will massively ship time to them in ITT's of any reasonable length.

There is no one else who can even climb with them outside of maybe Quintana, Bernal, Carapaz on their very best days. There is absolutely no one who can do that and time trial with them.

Carapaz nearly beat Roglic at the 2020 Vuelta - Roglic needed the time bonuses to win. At high altitude Lopez outclimbed them both at the 2020 Tour.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

Carapaz nearly beat Roglic at the 2020 Vuelta - Roglic needed the time bonuses to win. At high altitude Lopez outclimbed them both at the 2020 Tour.
    Roglic was wrecked from the tour during that vuelta. The only way I can see Bernal challenging is if there's lots a days at high altitude and little time trialling, like in 2018
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • phreak
    RichN95. said:

m.r.m. said:

You do feel both have gone up a level since then though, especially Pogacar, who seems unbeatable whenever he puts his mind to it.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,815
    An exciting development. The Jumbo train has been replaced by the Ineos train.

Not a single rider has managed to get up the road.
    Hardly anyone left but Roglic still has WVA.

Not your usual, seat of the pants final stage one now expects in this race.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2022
    LOL. WVA channels his inner Pogacar.
    Only Martinez, Quintana and S Yates can follow on the penultimate climb.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited March 2022
    Poglic blowing up on yet another final stage.
    Yates has 22” lead up Eze
  • blazing_saddles
    WVA dropping Roglic
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    Good rider that wout. Dragging rog to the finish.
  • blazing_saddles

Good rider that wout. Dragging rog to the finish.

Were it not for a resurgent WVA, this Paris-Nice would have gone the same way as last year.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Seems a bit wasteful chucking those jackets away 3km from the finish with no chance of a stage win.
  • blazing_saddles
    Well, that new ramp in the middle of Col d'Eze certainly shook things up.
    Would have been fairly pedestrian and a Wout win without it.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,416
    mrb123 said:

Seems a bit wasteful chucking those jackets away 3km from the finish with no chance of a stage win.

I was thinking how one would best position oneself on a stage to grab a free jacket.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592
    What happened to Martinez?

He was the front group at the top of the penultimate climb, I popped out to return some items to CRC, come back and he's a way off.

Did he fade, have a mechanical, assuming they didn't pull him back to help Adam Yates?

Great stage win for Simon Yates.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,266
    daniel_b said:

He was the front group at the top of the penultimate climb, I popped out to return some items to CRC, come back and he's a way off.

Did he fade, have a mechanical, assuming they didn't pull him back to help Adam Yates?

Mechanical. Needed a new back wheel from neutral service.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592

daniel_b said:

Mechanical. Needed a new back wheel from neutral service.
    Oh what a shame.

In the event he could have gotten away with Yates, things could have been a bit closer for the overall.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • blazing_saddles
    Without the Jumbo first stage beat down, Roglic would have taken the overall win by 1 second.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Watching the Wout interview, I wonder how many more matches he wants to burn for Primoz...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Simon was beaten by the Jumbo team unfortunately.
    Hugo finished 13th
    Kung must have had a great day today.