2022 Tour of Britain (route)

I think this is big enough a discussion each year to be outside of the smaller races thread.

https://www.tourofbritain.co.uk/race/2022-tour/

Not much for us in the fens of course... 1992 Milk Race and a Tour of Britain stage to Sandringham in 2012 (I think) the only times I remember it heading my way.

However, for us Dorsetites, that penultimate stage has set my pulse racing.

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935
    Oh bollocks, 10th Sept is supposed to be our Hill Climb. I think we might have to postpone by a week!
  • I am keen for the abz stage. May try and sneak up for a long weekend with some pals and the bike.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Isle of Wight should be a nice addition. Wales missed completely, I should get on my high horse like that poster last year who was moaning it ignored England when half the stages were in England. Stage 6 should be good for me though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    Mark Drakeford has kept Welsh independence quiet :)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Sad that the Pennines and Cumbria miss out after the reception the race gets, but I see the point in visiting new areas.
    Perhaps we need a longer race?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset could be a really lumy stage if they want. Start in Lyme Regis and send them up and over every valley heading east towards Weymoth, then inland to climb Batcombe hill to Lyons Gate (hits 30%!) do a couple of different routes up Bulbarrow before a finish in Shaftesbury.
    It could even come past my front door!
  • Doesn’t look to be the hilliest of routes, to say the least.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    A fair route - and they've replied to all the naysayers on Twitter explaining how they go about picking routes, etc
    I'm sure they do the same thing every year but too many people can't get it; they can't visit every region every year.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Can't see route info for IOW, can't see them going up the Ventnor esplanade to Down Lane climb, as the stage finish. :'(
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,805
    edited February 2022

Dorset could be a really lumy stage if they want. Start in Lyme Regis and send them up and over every valley heading east towards Weymoth, then inland to climb Batcombe hill to Lyons Gate (hits 30%!) do a couple of different routes up Bulbarrow before a finish in Shaftesbury.

Must admit that was a hard start to the day following a full English while touring. 🤣
    Made it to Swanage but that was a lumpy day including cove visits.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    Pross said:

Isle of Wight should be a nice addition. Wales missed completely, I should get on my high horse like that poster last year who was moaning it ignored England when half the stages were in England. Stage 6 should be good for me though.

Given the relatively limited space to work with (all the way round is only 100km), I fear they may follow the Tour series and just make it a seaside crit, which would be a bit of a waste.
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907

Can't see route info for IOW, can't see them going up the Ventnor esplanade to Down Lane climb, as the stage finish. :'(

It's hard to see main roads being shut for the race, so I sadly suspect it will be a crit race around Ryde sea front. The local press seems to be focusing on Ryde rather than anything more picturesque (and challenging) on the south of the island.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Rumour has it that the IoW stage will include some gravel.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Near enough to my house on 2 days!
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Looks like there's going to be a few stages finishing very close to where they started. Unless host towns only means starts?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I suspect the Aberdeen stage will be last year’s final stage in reverse which will take in the long side up Cairn o Mount. Stage 2 looks like a badly placed dot over Glasgow, so maybe a route test of the 2023 Worlds course which could attract a few big hitters to the ToB.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    It doesn't come past my house 😡
    Guess I'll just have to cry into the mountain of TdF tat I'm sure to pick up as some other race comes very close this July. 😭
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    Don't know if it comes past my house or not as they don't seem to have thought about the North East stage yet.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    The Gorbals and the East end of Glasgow will look great on telly again. Awesome advert for Scotland as a progressive and prosperous independent country.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    When did Aberdeen become independent of Scotland?
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Pross said:

When did Aberdeen become independent of Scotland?

It has an independent economy, that is certain.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    It might not come past my house during the race, but the 3 to 4 transfer will. So either 2 possible days to watch racing (or miss because work) or an overnight stop to knock off the support bus and get some upgrades. So who's on SRAM this year? :#
  • Dorset could be a really lumy stage if they want. Start in Lyme Regis and send them up and over every valley heading east towards Weymoth, then inland to climb Batcombe hill to Lyons Gate (hits 30%!) do a couple of different routes up Bulbarrow before a finish in Shaftesbury.

Finish it at the Lobster Pot on Portland.

Cross winds on the Fleet, break it up through Fortuneswell and then smash them to bits on the way out to the lighthouse.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,550
    So… I own a comedy club in Aberdeen for night before stage 1
    I own a comedy club in Glasgow for stage 2
    I own a comedy club in Leeds for transfer between stage 4&5
    I own a comedy club in Bristol for after stage 6

Anyone got anything for me to do on Isle of Wight ?

Any of the teams want some on the road entertainment 😂

www.thecomedycabaret.club
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Routes are out.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Stage 7 looks ok for a first attempt at a Dorset stage. A lumpy start heading West Bay to Weymouth aand over to Dorchester, then flat to the Purbecks. Couple of reasonable climbs as they head back in;and but probably too far from the finish though. The climb over Okeford Beacon hits 20%+, but is only about a mile bottom to top.
  • Stage 2 is cyclable from my house.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Stage 6 is pretty much my ‘hood.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • flite
    flite Posts: 219
    Great - day 3 gets to the North Pennines, and over Chapel Fell, one of the highest through roads in England, and exposed to the wind. Shame about the urban stuff either end of the stage.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,803
    Stage 1 is a belter.