2022 Pre Season Chat Thread

12346»

Comments

• phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,907
    JimD666 said:

Not like there's going to be much pressure on the team (can anyone really see past a Pog/Rog winner?) so may as well find out how he goes.

Roglic hasn't been on the same level as Pogacar this season. I'd say the biggest threat to Pogacar is himself. If he bites off more than he can chew this year then fatigue might get the better of him.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    phreak said:

JimD666 said:

Not like there's going to be much pressure on the team (can anyone really see past a Pog/Rog winner?) so may as well find out how he goes.

Roglic hasn't been on the same level as Pogacar this season. I'd say the biggest threat to Pogacar is himself. If he bites off more than he can chew this year then fatigue might get the better of him.
    Probably true, but it's noteworthy that Pogacar has done fewer race days at this point this season than he did last year. I'd imagine we won't see him now until he does his final warm-up race ahead of the Tour, probably the Tour of Slovenia like he did last year.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    So, is his apparent lack of form because his target is later or has he been moved to the Tour because illness meant he wouldn't be in form for the Giro?
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Pross said:

So, is his apparent lack of form because his target is later or has he been moved to the Tour because illness meant he wouldn't be in form for the Giro?

Maybe his lack of form might be something to do with going in to a ditch at 70KPH.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    webboo said:

Pross said:

Maybe his lack of form might be something to do with going in to a ditch at 70KPH.
    That accounts for one race. I'm a big fan but he hasn't looked at his best this season. Brabantse Pijl was a decent ride, Ronde was OK but he looked like he was missing something on the steepest sections.
  • ddraver
    The latter is guess. Think he went full on at the CX World's this year too so perhaps sacrificed the spring a bit.

Deliberately or otherwise...
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    He was sick before Strade Bianche and hasn't fully recovered from that, as I understand it. I'd imagine the team are keen to get him fully fit, so throwing him into the Giro wouldn't make sense.
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    ddraver said:

The latter is guess. Think he went full on at the CX World's this year too so perhaps sacrificed the spring a bit.

Deliberately or otherwise...

He said on a podcast his main goal after the Worlds was to "go to the Giro and see what I can do" for GC. Obviously this has changed post illness, but doesn't look fit.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    There's something not quite right; he's missed races, pulled out of races, in fact he had a long sleeve jacket on in Fleche, before retiring. Some races he has seemed okay, but in others not so.
    Going to the Giro wouldn't seem like the most sensible thing, just sort out whatever is hampering him.

I wouldn't mind seeing him do a couple of MTB World Cups if fit enough, but I doubt that's on the agenda.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • neonriver
    neonriver Posts: 228
    Ganna is entered in Track nations Cup round in Canada 16th May so looks like he isn’t at giro. Must be going to Tour for opening day TT
  • andyp
    I thought it was common knowledge that he was making his Tour debut this year?
  • 50x11
    50x11 Posts: 408
    neonriver said:

Ganna is entered in Track nations Cup round in Canada 16th May so looks like he isn’t at giro. Must be going to Tour for opening day TT

Yeah his current big target on the road is yellow for first road stage of the tour.
  • ddraver
    edited May 2022
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    ddraver said:
    Haha I saw that on Twitter... Jeroen Swart commented and I follow him. Very interesting... wish I was doing 475 watts at 180bpm!

The really interesting thing is that most amateurs etc lactate accumulation ramps up much faster than that when you get to the top - these guys can operate at a really high level for ages, whereas most of us would be drowning in lactate much faster.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    I’m not on Twitter and can’t be arsed with the whodafuckery… so who is it that they’re talking about?
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,233
    Is it Guillaume Martin?
  • ddraver
    No idea, happy to take it at face value tbh.
    - @ddraver
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited May 2022

I’m not on Twitter and can’t be arsed with the whodafuckery… so who is it that they’re talking about?

It is anonymously submitted by a current "top" WT pro apparently. Various WT pros have liked/commented so hard to say really.

All he's said is they're 70kg and a GC-type rider.

Also happy to take it at face value - the numbers seem to be credible anyway, doesn't seem to be any dispute.

The rest of the thread for anyone who wants to read and not on Twitter, there's some more good stuff in the comments (inc. similar graphs provided by other coaches, comparisons to Ironman pros etc, but I am not going to go through all of that...)

• m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,342
    Thanks, Bob!

To add to that. As I mentioned before, Inigo San Milan stated that in UAE Team Emirates, Pogacar is at 1.3 mmol/l lactate when the other UAE riders are already at 3 mmol/l. Quite insane when looking at that corresponding to Watts on that graphic. Shows the level of difference even among the elite.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • ddraver
    edited June 2022

- @ddraver