Top 5 for 2021

Comments

• Wasn't having a go, just found it interesting.

I also enjoyed when he won the earlier stage of P-N.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691
    RichN95. said:

I'm glad you said it's Wiggins version of sky as I almost wrote a post explaining he's the most boring GC winner since Wiggins, but then I thought people would jump on me as off the bike Wiggins IS quite interesting, which of course, Roglic is not.

It's hard to tell what they are like personally as there's usually a language barrier and everything is filtered via the media. And the English language media have just dubbed him a ski-jumper and decided that that's enough 'colour'. Similarly Sagan never really says much and is viewed as a great character but according to Slovakian journalists he's quite dull.
    Unfortunately I don't speak Slovenian so him in English is all I'm gonna see and it's boring af.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,620
    edited December 2021
    I can't think of any sportsmen I like to see interviewed just after their sport. They only start to provide meaningful commentary when they have had a few years to embellish the stories and need to monetise them.
  • TheBigBean
    In due course, we could probably do with a Team My Man 2022 thread. I think some of mine have retired now.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,773
    RichN95. said:

I'm glad you said it's Wiggins version of sky as I almost wrote a post explaining he's the most boring GC winner since Wiggins, but then I thought people would jump on me as off the bike Wiggins IS quite interesting, which of course, Roglic is not.

It's hard to tell what they are like personally as there's usually a language barrier and everything is filtered via the media. And the English language media have just dubbed him a ski-jumper and decided that that's enough 'colour'. Similarly Sagan never really says much and is viewed as a great character but according to Slovakian journalists he's quite dull.
    Sagan's character is for what he does on the bike, Roglic is a good bloke off the bike apparently. Viewers judge on what they see, which is mostly on the bike.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • pblakeney

I can't think of any sportsmen I like to see interviewed just after their sport. They only start to provide meaningful commentary when they have had a few years to embellish the stories and need to monetise them.

Seen the attempt at an interview with Robert Millar at the top of a climb when he is not doing well? A lesson on why post race interviews are not always a good idea. 😉
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    My 5:

Wout van Aert
    Mathieu van der Poel
    Lizzie Deignan
    Tom Pidcock
    Tadej Pogačar

oh and Julian Alaphilippe 😉
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,691

Terpstra is always good value. I liked Boonen too. Tankink was *outstanding* as a rent-a-quote. Cav too, tbf, though usually better when he was losing (sorry Cav, downside of winning so much).
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    It pretty much seems that Pidcock appears on here for jingoistic reasons than any other - he seems to be pretty devoid of character, wit, Boonen/Alaphilippeesque levels of riding entertainment and joy tbh.

Just a bit blandola - if we're lobbing charges of a defecit of personality against Roglic then Pidcock definitly hits the moribund buttons.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,686
    MattFalle said:

It pretty much seems that Pidcock appears on here for jingoistic reasons than any other

Nah. Ain't no flagsh4gger me. Included Pidcock on my list as, for all of them, I liked watching to see what they would do, or not do. TP was a bit uninteresting in La Vuelta but he livened up couple of Spring classics plus the Olympic gold MTB was a good watch.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,616
    MattFalle said:

It pretty much seems that Pidcock appears on here for jingoistic reasons than any other - he seems to be pretty devoid of character, wit, Boonen/Alaphilippeesque levels of riding entertainment and joy tbh.

Just a bit blandola - if we're lobbing charges of a defecit of personality against Roglic then Pidcock definitly hits the moribund buttons.

Never seen Roglic do this TBH...

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    edited December 2021
    MattFalle said:

He's a first year pro. He's won an Olympic gold, almost won Amstel. He can time trial, sprint and climb. He also does pretty decent interviews. What more do you want him to do? Juggle?

He's good to watch because we don't really know the full extent of what he is capable of.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MattFalle
    RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

He's a first year pro. He's won an Olympic gold, almost won Amstel. He can time trial, sprint and climb. He also does pretty decent interviews. What more do you want him to do? Juggle?

He's good to watch because we don't really know the full extent of what he is capable of.
    Not so much juggle, maybe have a personality or some sort.

We don't know what 78% of the peloton are capable of but we don't salivate over them....
  • MattFalle
    RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

he can time trial to an extent, sprint to an extent and climb to an extent.

he ain't no WvA, MvdP or Pog though.
  • MattFalle
    mrb123 said:

MattFalle said:

Never seen Roglic do this TBH...

seen Roglic win more though and that's what matters.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

He show MVdP how to mountain bike though. :'(
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

He also outsprinted Van Aert at Brabantse (and some think at Amstel too)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MattFalle
    RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

he's also won far less, is far less cool, far less marketable and also been dropped loads of times where M and W haven't and was also outsprinted at Amstel, so, apart from jingoism facts say thats hes not as good, as cool, as marketable or, to quote the Americans, winningest.

i'm sure he's a nice boy but he's just no M or W or Pog or Rog or the others.
  • webboo
    MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

he's also won far less, is far less cool, far less marketable and also been dropped loads of times where M and W haven't and was also outsprinted at Amstel, so, apart from jingoism facts say thats hes not as good, as cool, as marketable or, to quote the Americans, winningest.

He’s also English/ British so whatever he does, he will be boring, crap or the like according to you.
  • MattFalle
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

He’s also English/ British so whatever he does, he will be so unerrrringly wonderful, joyous and faultless to some on here who fail to see past a flag
    ftfy

• MattFalle
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

He’s also English/ British so whatever he does, he will be boring, censored or the like according to you.
    but yeah, you're right - he is totally devoid of personality.

tbh i'd prefer to have Bouhani on my team - he's rubbish but at least he's entertaining when he goes off looking for people to chin and has a mega beard.

Pidcock would probably bore them to death.
  • TheBigBean
    MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

He’s also English/ British so whatever he does, he will be boring, censored or the like according to you.

tbh i'd prefer to have Bouhani on my team - he's rubbish but at least he's entertaining when he goes off looking for people to chin and has a mega beard.

Are you more entertaining than Pidcock?
  • webboo
    MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

I guess you are basing this on your intimate knowledge of TP. Where as I have only seen pre and post race interviews going back to when he won the worlds junior cyclocross race.
    You might want to watch last Saturdays post race interview at the World Cup at Rucphen?

• pblakeney
    This thread may be worth bookmarking for 3 years.
    Either way.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    webboo said:

MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

I guess you are basing this on your intimate knowledge of TP. Where as I have only seen pre and post race interviews going back to when he won the worlds junior cyclocross race.
    You might want to watch last Saturdays post race interview at the World Cup at Rucphen?

Because he swore and swearing's cool?
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • MattFalle
    edited December 2021
    gsk82 said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

Because he swore and swearing's cool?
    yeah and anarchic and rebel, innit. up there with The Beatles and other fighters against society.

#bollox
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

doesn't make any difference - a massive part of my current and future earnings don't depend on my marketability and carving a niche in a public's pysche.

hopefully you are in the same position.

the fella doesn't even have a Zwift advert. even Thomas has a bit part in a Zwift advert and he's known mostly for falling off.

he didn't even make SPOTY.
  • TheBigBean
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

doesn't make any difference - a massive part of my current and future earnings don't depend on my marketability and carving a niche in a public's pysche.

the fella doesn't even have a Zwift advert. even Thomas has a bit part in a Zwift advert and he's known mostly for falling off.

I think my definition of enjoyable cyclist to watch is different to yours.

Even if it was an earning contest, I'd guess he does ok for a 22 year old.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

webboo said:

MattFalle said:

RichN95. said:

MattFalle said:

I think my definition of enjoyable cyclist to watch is different to yours.

Even if it was an earning contest, I'd guess he does ok for a 22 year old.
    yup - someone who smashes up races, is aggressive on a bike, excites the crowd, motivates you, all that jazz.

and then there is Pidcock.

he probably does alright but not as well as WvA, MvdP, etc.
  • I enjoyed watching Evenepoel in third rate races this year.