Cars, cars, cars...

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 19,509

Thanks for reminding me to disconnect my battery, as my ICE Almera won't be used until the end of July.

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,596
    edited May 21

Me, probably (wouldn't use PCP or finance). And plenty of people who like their cars/driving.

Although when they announced the replacement for my car which had 4 cylinders and a battery, I figured I should hold onto what may be a future classic. Second hand values are holding up pretty well.

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969

Decision based on current tech? Me.

We keep getting told that tech is the solution but I've not seen the leap in cars or infrastructure. Yet.

The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,683

I think it very much depends on circumstances. I have space for a home charger, and most of my travel is currently around the 10-50 mile each way distance. That's actually perfect for a small city electric car, even though I'm rural. On the odd occasion I intend to go further, I could probably cope with using a Tesla supercharger and being forced to buy a coffee.

The biggest issue is what do do where you are going, because not a lot of hotels have figured out that there needs to be charging, and any that do will make it insultingly expensive.

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,878

Out of interest, what are your criteria for the leap in cars/infrastructure you need to see?

I have little to no interest in cars but a couple of my neighbours have model S Teslas, they seem pretty impressive: accelerate insanely fast, go 400 miles on a single charge and you can do 10% to 80% charge in 30 minutes. They charge on the drive so I doubt they ever really need to charge out and about anyway but I see superchargers at motorway service stations and the local car park & train station to me both have charging points which have been installed in the last year or 2.

A quick google suggests that the range has doubled for the model S in the last 10 years, seems like decent progress.

• pblakeney

My son has a Tesla S. It's a pain in the arse for long journeys. Solvable, but a hassle. I do long journeys.

That's a personal opinion of someone in a lucky position. The country is simply not set up for those in flats etc.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • monkimark
    edited May 21

I agree flats are going to be tricky but unless you live in a flat i don't see how that would affect your decision to buy one. If 400 miles isn't enough range on a single charge, what would you need? Is the long journey hassle finding a charger or having to park up for 30 minutes while it charges?

I can't imagine doing 400 miles without needing to stop for 30 minutes a couple of times anyway.

• Stevo_666

Just googled Tesla model S - UK retail price £85k.

And is that 400 mile range achievable without driving like a granny and without using air con/heater, lights etc?

"I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Ironically it's cities where EV are probably most appropriate for short trips etc that have the highest proportion of flats. It's hard to see how EVs can be the only solution.

• First.Aspect

Second hand prices for model s's over about 5 years old are quite attractive.

For us mere mortals who don't have £60k cash lying around for a new AMG Merc, anyway.

Providing it still had a 250+ mile motorway range, that would be viable for almost all journeys and a lot of car for £15-£20k. I agree that I'm going to need at least one wee after 4 hours of driving anywhere.

But the issue remains how to charge it when you get where you are going, or factoring in rather more frequent stops on the way back.

• monkimark

You're very against other people driving EVs for some reason Stevo - did you get embarrassed at the red light dragstrip by a housewife in a Tesla or something?

• Stevo_666

Are you trying to have a pop because I'm pointing out the obvious flaws in what you're saying? £85k is hardly transport for the masses, is it. If its so good, would you buy one? And more to the point, could you?

• First.Aspect

They aren't *that* fast, at least the dual motor 2016-2020 ones I can't afford right now. About 5-5.4s to 62. Which okay is not slow, but my own car beats that. There seems to be relatively few of the ones with the more eyecatching numbers.

Besides, one thing Stevo is right about is that owning a 4 seater dragster is of limited long term enjoyment if it weighs 2.2 tons and doesn't want to go round corners.

• Stevo_666

Someone has to buy them new for there to be a second hand market. There can't be that many virtue signalling upper middle class customers, surely?

• monkimark

Just wondering why you seem so upset by the concept of EVs.

I wouldn't buy a new car full stop, I just have no interest in cars and spend very little time in mine. I have probably driven 100 miles this month.

If I were in the market for a new car, I would be looking at electric options but I have no need for performance or long range so wouldn't be considering a Tesla. I guess I could afford one if I really wanted it but I can think of a whole host of better things to spend £80k on than a car that I barely ever sit in.

The original question was would you still be looking to buy an ICE car in 2032, I can't imagine that i would be and was intrigued as to what the criteria would be for people to switch if they think there is a problem with EVs in 2024 - in 2032 the current crop of EVs will be nearly 10 years old so 2nd hand will be more widely available and presumably that performance will trickle down to cheaper models.

• First.Aspect

Company cars? Ex rental fleet cars?

I don't know anyone who buys new either. I did, once, back in the days when those deals were so attractive why wouldn't you. But not in that position just now.

• Stevo_666
    edited May 21

I'm not upset, where do you get that from? I've simply pointed out the drawbacks of EVs.

Sure, they do a job and are suitable transport in certain circumstances but for me they have all the emotional appeal of a washing machine. And despite the speed they are dynamically inferior as they weigh so much. Also if you read the link I posted just the other day you'll see that many buyers are prepared to sacrifice some outright speed for character and fun which petrol cars can provide. Same applies for me. The poor recent sales of EVs are probably in part down to things like that (and price, range, resale value etc).

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,146

Battery EV car sales increased 18% from 2022 to 2023 with there being 315,000 new ones registered in 2023 (plus 140000 PHEV). The total for all vehicles was 1.9 million. It feels a bit odd to claim no-one is buying them. In 2015 there were less than 10,000 pure EV with another 18,000 PHEV.

• Stevo_666

Yep, fun is not a straight line, as the saying goes. That said, mine puts a smile on my face just popping down to the local Tesco - that electric motor whine just doesn't cut it compared to a good ol' V8 rumble.

• Stevo_666

Good point, virtue signalling companies buy them too.

• pblakeney
    edited May 21

Yeah well, there is theory and there is reality. And that’s before considering going to remote locations which my son has to, or I’d choose to.

Bottom line, my son’s next company car will not be a Tesla, and don’t get him started on build quality.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

Bleepin' EV drivers, clogging up the roads, not paying road tax... and moan ad infinitum...

• First.Aspect

Give it a couple of years and batteries will be electrolyte free and this will bring potentially several hundred kg off the weight of a car. From what I read, ranges could increase and charging times decrease (assuming infrastructure obviously). The market doesn't need much more range, so 1600-1900kg cars with 400 mile ranges that will charge in 20 mins, where all the mass is low down. Those could be fun, and imagine what the likes of Lotus could do if they only wanted 200 mile range?

I think we just need to be patient and then the transition will be like breaching a dam.

• pblakeney

I'd be more than happy for my future car to be (relatively) lightweight and with 2 modes.

Sport mode, 200 mile range and fun. Touring mode 400 mile range, less fun but more comfort. Time will tell.

Veronese68 wrote:
  • Stevo_666

I get it that technological advances could well change things then all they would need to do is make them sound half decent. Although TBH I'll probably be to old to care by then.

But as you mention, as of now we aren't there yet.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 13,195

Isn't there a press brief about next gen batteries, CATL chinese company? Longer range, shorter charge times. There are online refs but... clickbait... 🤔

• First.Aspect
    edited May 21

I think we will need to mourn the loss of the sound. I say this as an ex F1 fan (it is as much a sport as WWF now, as 2021 showed) who laments the lack of need for ear defenders at events. Not been to one since 1998, but damn the noise of a V12 about to explode was amazing back then.

• First.Aspect

Possibly. Personally I was referring to Toyota though.

Before you ask, no I don't know what solid electrolyte they are proposing instead, or how on earth they deal with cooling issues. I do though expect the trade off to be battery lifetime.

• Stevo_666

Eventually, maybe. Although I still hold out a faint hope for eco fuels or hydrogen combustion engines.

• pblakeney

Does anyone watch Formula E? Does anyone care?

Veronese68 wrote: