Anything up at Bowman Cycles?

Comments

• Damn! Beaten to it.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644

MattFalle said:

ooooh! exciting! good luck to them.

reeeeaaally hopebout they re-release the green and black jobbie. now that was lush.

quote "...we are a new company. We don’t have any access or connection to stock from the previous company which was trading as BB Velo." unquote

source: https://bowmancycles.co.uk/blogs/news/bowman-we-re-back
    aaah. now we're sad.

#nobicycleforyou,scruffy
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle

It’s not the Bowman of old though – some bloke (Lee James Crossland) bought the brand and assets out of insolvency back in April. So what they produce will probably be completely unrelated to the previous bikes. They even state “don’t come to us about the old stuff” in the mission statement and they’re still ‘sourcing’ new bikes.

So its just the name, nothing more? which wasn't even that well known anyway?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    If he bought the intelectual property would this not include all supplier information? So they could turn out exactly the same frames if they choose to.
  • MattFalle
    As per V Man exactly.

Thats what MF thought and he (bike firm owner bloke, not MF) has piccies of old Bowman's on the message and goes on about how good they were, so it made logical sense he'd have them as part of the product range.
  • "At present, we are trying to source bikes. Looking at the market in the UK for the manufacture of Steel and Aluminium it seems that the production of framesets in volume is not possible due to lack of manufacturing infrastructure (feel free to correct me) – Italian Frameset builders are also under high demand and are also augmenting their stock by sourcing framesets in the Far East.

The Far East is still as far as I have been informed the largest producer of Cycle components at present. This means that there is also a strong customer demand and potentially long lead times.

But we are looking."

"By the way, just to clear a few things up. There are loads of questions on various forums and on social media about rear mech hangers. Sorry – we don’t have any.

Secondly, we are a new company. We don’t have any access or connection to stock from the previous company which was trading as BB Velo.

Lastly, if you are a supplier, Frames, components, clothing – we would love to hear from you."
  • To me that says they bought a name.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329

To me that says they bought a name.

Does indeed look that way from what you quoted, the bit I read said they'd bought the intelectual property. Which I took as meaning they'd have supplier information. Of course they may not want to use the previous supplier, or the previous supplier may not want to deal with the new company.
  • MattFalle

To me that says they bought a name.

Does indeed look that way from what you quoted, the bit I read said they'd bought the intelectual property. Which I took as meaning they'd have supplier information. Of course they may not want to use the previous supplier, or the previous supplier may not want to deal with the new company.
    they obvs didn't read last month's copy of Cyclist mag
  • I am guessing the Hambini video may have something to do with the new company not wishing to use the previous suppliers.

https://youtu.be/YTDQ9vtoxTo
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819

I am guessing the Hambini video may have something to do with the new company not wishing to use the previous suppliers.

Maybe this could suggest that, despite anMF near-jizzing over the phoenix-like rise from the ashes, that their product was actually not very good?
  • ^ If the new owners had seen this video, you'd have to ask why they'd want to buy the name :/

I hadn’t seen it before @MidlandsGrimpeur2 posted it on here - shocking what Hambini found :o especially after ‘the cycling press’ had written quite a few rave reviews about Bowman Cycles
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,694
    Ouch. Just watched that video! 😳
  • ^ If the new owners had seen this video, you'd have to ask why they'd want to buy the name :/

You can only assume they haven't. Based on the new owners blog, it suggests little bike industry experience; asking for suppliers to get in touch, having to be 'informed' that the Far East manufactures a lot of components etc. It doesn't fill me with confidence, and as other have pointed out seems to be nothing more than buying the name.

The cycling press is a difficult one. They have a bike for a short period and would be unlikely to do any kind of substantial quailty check. Having said that, the state of the frame Hambini reviewed was clearly poor to the naked eye of any cyclist with a bit of knowledge; poor welds, pinholes, braces out of alignment and so on are all easily identifiable. If any reviewer received a frame with similar issues this should have been picked up on (appreciate this is a big 'if' though!).
  • MattFalle
    Blimey. So that's a #bago'shiteframe then.

Does raise a couple of questions though:

1. why did bloke buy the name if this sort of thing is readily available and what on earth is he going to do with it now? After all, people are just going to look at the name and baulk - he could well have bought a name with a less shitreputation like Planet X did
    2. Loads of clubs bought Palaces for their members to use as loan bikes/crit bikes. Why did none ofthe expert riders at the clubs/associated LBS' pick up any of these defects?
    3. Any comeback from journos on their reviews?
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    1. people, eh?
    2. “loads”, really?
    3. hahahahahahaha!
  • MattFalle

1. people, eh?
    2. “loads”, really?
    3. hahahahahahaha!

yup - it was quite a thing at the time - British firm supporting British club riding yada yada yada
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,605
    Amazing turn about to find it was all the fault of cycling clubs.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • andyrr

1. people, eh?
    2. “loads”, really?
    3. hahahahahahaha!

4. “the Palace was seriously, seriously cool”. Someone might have said. Even if said frames were sometimes were put together by a builder with the skill level of Stevie Wonder wearing boxing gloves. But it was them clubbies wot were at fault. #lushframes
  • MattFalle
    andyrr said:

1. people, eh?
    2. “loads”, really?
    3. hahahahahahaha!

4. “the Palace was seriously, seriously cool”. Someone might have said. Even if said frames were sometimes were put together by a builder with the skill level of Stevie Wonder wearing boxing gloves. But it was them clubbies wot were at fault. #lushframes
    perhaps clubbies just ain't as good as they think they are, eh.......

and yes, Andrew, they were seriously cool. Apols that everyone who bought them didn't have x-ray eyes.

Tbh, you could say the same about Soloists.......
  • MattFalle
    Because no one with eyes can't say this was seriously, seriously cool, if made of cheese.

• andyrr
    MattFalle said:

Because no one with eyes can't say this was seriously, seriously cool, if made of cheese.

Yes, some can say it’s not seriously cool - there’s a bit more than a paint job to a decent bike unless your totally gullible.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle said:

andyrr said:

1. people, eh?
    2. “loads”, really?
    3. hahahahahahaha!

perhaps clubbies just ain't as good as they think they are, eh.......

and yes, Andrew, they were seriously cool. Apols that everyone who bought them didn't have x-ray eyes.

Tbh, you could say the same about Soloists.......
    or early CAADs - remember until the6/7s they were still crack n failing.
  • MattFalle
    andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

Yes, some can say it’s not seriously cool - there’s a bit more than a paint job to a decent bike unless your totally gullible.
    so couple really cool looks, a mega paintjob, a decent price, jingoism, clubs buying them and the write ups they were getting and you can't blame people for buying them.

shame it turns out they wereshite, really.
  • MattFalle

Amazing turn about to find it was all the fault of cycling clubs.

well, considering clubbies have been more than happy to slag off boardmans at every opportunity when they're mega and couldn't spot all the faults on these it does raise questions, no?
  • I am guessing the Hambini video may have something to do with the new company not wishing to use the previous suppliers.

First time I've watched on of Hambini's infamous slating vids, shocking what he displays as regards awful welds and a very twisted frame, but his style is a bit too much for me.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • MattFalle said:

andyrr said:

MattFalle said:

so couple really cool looks, a mega paintjob, a decent price, jingoism, clubs buying them and the write ups they were getting and you can't blame people for buying them.

shame it turns out they wereshite, really.

Yeah I'd have considered one for pretty much those reasons - decent value, British brand albeit obviously not UK manufactured, good reviews and there is a certain old school cool in a decent aluminium bike over a cheap carbon model.

I know nothing about welding and what to look for. I do know certain brands like Look and Time have a reputation for great quality control but they tend to come at a price.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]

First time I've watched on of Hambini's infamous slating vids, shocking what he displays as regards awful welds and a very twisted frame, but his style is a bit too much for me.

That's actually toned down from his earlier videos - I think he has probably realised his sense of humour can come across as juvenile to a lot of people - I didn't actually mind that one too much but yes with some I've just wished he'd play it a bit straighter.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyrr
    If you look on the Bowman FB page post-resurrection you can see a fair number of both happy and unhappy ex-customers, some of whom had 1st-hand experience of the shoddy, dangerous frame quality that Hambini also rants about. Why jump and buy a Far-eastern frame that a more local business has decided to market when you really know zilch about how well it’s made?
  • MattFalle
    edited September 2022
    andyrr said:

If you look on the Bowman FB page post-resurrection you can see a fair number of both happy and unhappy ex-customers, some of whom had 1st-hand experience of the shoddy, dangerous frame quality that Hambini also rants about. Why jump and buy a Far-eastern frame that a more local business has decided to market when you really know zilch about how well it’s made?

but you can say that about anything, tbh.

All purchases are a leap of faith. You just have to go with reassurances from the seller together with what you can get from people who you are meant to be able to trust - ie journo reviews across the board.

After all I can't remember the last time I got a new frame and stuck an endoscope down it to check the welds, of which I know nothing about, let alone strip down a whole new bike to do the same.

The bridges, etc are obvious and Hambini's mate should have sent that back straight away but for some reason accrpted it, built it, broke it then wailed.

This looks like basically Bowman was the bicycle equivalent of TVR cars.