FINALLY Paris - Roubaix 2021 **spoilers**

Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,659
    Been something in the water up that way these last two weeks making people forget races are 260km, rather than 160...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,020
    Just caught up with it. Sad for Moscon but his mechanical and crash did make it a better race.

What a year Cobrelli is having - was kind of hoping for MvdP after the work he did but it's a bike race and Cobrelli's tactics paid off - though if Moscon had won solo we'd all be saying why didn't Cobrelli contribute more given his finishing speed.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,129
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,129
    edited October 2021
    Pross said:
    Actually those roads would make for a great rally.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,504
    Amused me that in his interview Colbrelli clearly had no idea who Vermeersch was.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,093

Amused me that in his interview Colbrelli clearly had no idea who Vermeersch was.

A 17th century Flanders painter?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,866
    Great spot by Lloyd re the tyre pressures on Moscon's replacement bike, looks like it could have been a factor.

""The tyre pressure was different," Moscon said of his bike change. "After five hours of racing maybe the pressure had gone down and, as soon as I went on this bike, I felt different on the pavé. Maybe it was because of that that I crashed, but the sector was really slippery."
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822

Just caught up with it. Sad for Moscon but his mechanical and crash did make it a better race.

What a year Cobrelli is having - was kind of hoping for MvdP after the work he did but it's a bike race and Cobrelli's tactics paid off - though if Moscon had won solo we'd all be saying why didn't Cobrelli contribute more given his finishing speed.

MvdP certainly appeared willing to flaunt his undoubted power, stretching a gap to his break companions out of corners and putting the hammer down a few times but Corbrelli both had the confidence in his own sprint to finish it off if it came down to it but he also had good enough legs towards the latter part to put in his own dig which required the other 2 to make a decent effort to get back on his wheel. MdvP to me seems less able to reign himself in instead hoped to burn the other 2 out but in doing so he burnt too many of his own matches in the process.
    Moscon looked in pretty good shape to get very to the velodrome ahead of, or at least with, the chasing trio was it not for his puncture and subsequent crash.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,395

He did too much work and in the end Colbrelli rode much smarter.

I thought Colbrelli would have it from a way out, but I didn't have a clue about Vermeersch.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,769
    Luke Rowe on his Insta story going off message regarding his crash.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

Good lad, social media warriors need to wind their necks in
  • davidof
    daniel_b said:

""The tyre pressure was different," Moscon said of his bike change. "After five hours of racing maybe the pressure had gone down and, as soon as I went on this bike, I felt different on the pavé. Maybe it was because of that that I crashed, but the sector was really slippery."

I was impressed that whenever he put the power down on the last sections he was spinning his back wheel

Instagramme
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725

What's he saying?
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • davidof
    epic

Instagramme
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382

What's he saying?
    "I've been bombarded with messages about causing a crash on Mads Pedersen in the forest in Arenberg, you're nuts, you are nuts,"

"If you're one of them who sent me a message you are nuts. I had a front wheel puncture, I had no control on the bike. If you're one of those who sent me a message try riding a f**king bike through the forest of Arenberg with a front wheel puncture. I was trying to stay to the right, the front wheel started to go, I swung to the left, Mads hit me at 40km/h."

"If you're one of those who sent me a message I'm going to try and say it as politely as I can, go f**k yourself."

• salsiccia1
    Cheers
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,563
    Ha. Think it's hard to criticise anyone. It's a fairly select few even in the pro peloton who are god-like in cycling who can take on PR in the wet.
  • It's clearly victim blaming.

You don't hold the cyclist responsible for getting hit by a faster moving vehicle.
  • salsiccia1
    Looks like an unfortunate incident rather than anything dangerous or negligent from Rowe. I don't blame him for his irritation.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,563
    edited October 2021
    These guys are absolute nails.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    davidof said:

A 17th century Flanders painter?
    Looked more like a 17th century wattle and daub plasterer to me by the end of it
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706

These guys are absolute nails.

100%.

After following it on this thread - thanks everyone - and the visuals on twitter I'm even more in awe of both their bike riding abilities and their willingness to bury themselves in an attempt to win this race (or even finish it) than I was before.

I don't want to disparage other sports but, after that, how anyone can get so worked up about some guys/gals kicking or batting a ball around a pristine lawn once a week is genuinely beyond my comprehension. But each to their own...
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Lol.
    Geraint spent Sunday on the beach with his wife

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    edited October 2021
    In short, because footballers are paid millions and the extra few seconds rolling around can earn a foul or let the pain die down.

If a cyclist stops - they lose. No ifs or buts.

It's gamesmanship, plus it's a different type of pain
  • davidof
    edited October 2021

Instagramme
  • davidof
    red.rider said:
    Great gallery, bitter nonsense from Iain Treloar in the comments.
    Instagramme
  • Here's the equivalent of Rowe's crash from Saturday. Pretty much the first piece of live coverage of the race.

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,395
    davidof said:

red.rider said:
    Great gallery, bitter nonsense from Iain Treloar in the comments.
    Never read below the line... is my motto.