FINALLY Paris - Roubaix 2021 **spoilers**

Comments

• salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Canny win for Colbrelli, but great showing from Veermesch, did everything right just got beaten by the better sprinter.

I know people are (quite fairly) down on Moscon but I am gutted for him.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,158
    MvdP facing the same problem that the younger Sagan did.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,790
    well they got lucky Ineos mechanicalled moscon out the race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,094
    Vast gulf between the ladies Saturday Rough Riders club run and the power and glory of the men's race.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,599
    I don’t think that was top form MvdP
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,384
    rozzer32 said:

Well that was a great race. Not sure I’d be saying that if those where the conditions when I did the PR challenge.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. MvdP needs to learn give up races rather than towing everyone along. He always does far too much when riding in a group. The others know he will work and so leave him to it. In order to win a bike race you must be prepared to lose it. His sprints in classics is useless, but I fear that is due to him spending too much energy towing people along rather than being a bad sprinter. Something he definitely needs to work on.

He could do with spending time with someone like Cancellara or Boonen and taking in the knowledge.

Sorry, he's outsprinted WvA to win classics, you know, the guy who won on the Champs not very long ago.
    He's still come third on his first attempt.
    Sure he works hard, but he gets results too.
  • rick_chasey
    Not sure it was worth the wait but it’s great to have it on again. Man I missed it
  • mididoctors

MvdP actually in the pain cave

he made the race
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Agree. I'm not sure he's still quite 100% yet; on the sectors he was making time in the corners, and then they'd catch him up. A top form MvdP gets bigger gaps....
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,137
    Very modest interview by Moscon to do fair to him. Not blaming the bike, says he was on the limit after the puncture and made mistakes then didn't have the legs to hold on when caught. Also said there was no guarantee he would have held on which, considering he only lost about 30" in the end, seems unlikely.
  • mididoctors
    "help where is the help?
    there is no help!"
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Very modest interview by Moscon to do fair to him. Not blaming the bike, says he was on the limit after the puncture and made mistakes then didn't have the legs to hold on when caught. Also said there was no guarantee he would have held on which, considering he only lost about 30" in the end, seems unlikely.

Maybe it wasn’t the bike!!
  • Pross

Pross said:

Maybe it wasn’t the bike!!
    The way he kept opening the gap on the tarmac suggests it was.
  • mididoctors

I don’t think that was top form MvdP

not the same rider soloing a stage in TA
  • rick_chasey
    WvA pretty accurate with his summary of his own ride
  • rick_chasey
    You’d have thought the teams would have spare glasses
  • mididoctors
    time to do life laundry

good weekend of racinng
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,384

You’d have thought the teams would have spare glasses

Or have tear off strips as they do in F1 etc
  • You’d have thought the teams would have spare glasses

Or have tear off strips as they do in F1 etc
    There are MTB sunglasses which do that
  • When you end up feeling sorry for two different riders who deserved a win, feels like a good race.

Really enjoyed that, MvdP absolutely made it.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,919

rozzer32 said:

Well that was a great race. Not sure I’d be saying that if those where the conditions when I did the PR challenge.

Said it before and I’ll say it again. MvdP needs to learn give up races rather than towing everyone along. He always does far too much when riding in a group. The others know he will work and so leave him to it. In order to win a bike race you must be prepared to lose it. His sprints in classics is useless, but I fear that is due to him spending too much energy towing people along rather than being a bad sprinter. Something he definitely needs to work on.

He could do with spending time with someone like Cancellara or Boonen and taking in the knowledge.

Sorry, he's outsprinted WvA to win classics, you know, the guy who won on the Champs not very long ago.
    He's still come third on his first attempt.
    Sure he works hard, but he gets results too.
    Yes he’s had results but he could have a lot more if he rode smarter.

Like today with like 80km to go or whatever MvdP caught a group ahead of him. He was on the front driving it along with the odd short turn from Colbrelli as the only help. The group was about 12/15 riders. Every time the camera went back he was on the front. Sorry but that isn’t smart riding, like I said he needs to learn to be prepared to sit up and lose. It’s not like he’s that powerful that he doesn’t need help as today proved. Sagan learned that sometimes he needs to sit up, I’m sure VDP will as well.

***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • Pross said:

Maybe as he’s getting older he’s learning, not that it will make a jot of difference to the never forgive mistakes, (I had a more privileged, therefore more enlightened upbringing) brigade.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Lads if the brake pads run out at 110km why are you using disc brakes ffs

Time to go retro and fit those ancient and totally useless rim brakes.
  • Both Dylan van Baarle and Niki Terpstra finished the race............outside the time limit.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Did Rowe finish? Never saw him again after his crash in Arenburg, had been looking good until then.
  • Pross
    To answer my own question he did, just over 20 minutes down with Kwia. Some big time losses in the end, I guess it reaches a point where they just getting home with minimal risk.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,533
    Well that was... interesting.
    First wet edition I've been able to watch live.
    Gutted for Mads P, he was looking really strong on Arenberg, but he needs to watch where he's going.
    Asgreen was also looking decent, but two punctures at Arenberg and shortly after, when a service car put him into the gutter, put him out of contention.
    Best Viking was SKA in 24th, who also won quote of the day:
    SKA (smiling) "I'm happy to have finished this edition and I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling I have now"
    Interviewer: "and what feeling is that?"
    SKA: "Pain."
    😅

The podium were all debutants, but given none of the riders have raced it wet, maybe they all were really? The race felt far less tactical and far more survival than it usually does, so all in all I think I prefer it dry.

I think we saw again though that WvA and MVDP in the same race tends to skew tactics, they sometimes seem to be more interested in racing each other than trying to actually win. Without the puncture that was going to Moscon.

And I wondered about tyre pressure/ set up when Moscon had to change bikes. It was clear very quickly it was higher, he was bouncing all over the place on the cobbles and then pulling a few seconds out again when he got to the tarmac.

But yeah, epic, and I can't wait to see the front on pic of Colbrelli's screaming bike lift!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    It definitely missed being the culmination of 6 weeks of classics Flanders racing prior - it’s harder to know which move is worth paying to and which isn’t when you don’t know the form.

I definitely think fortune favoured the brave and WvA and some others did not attack it enough and paid the price.

I was surprised how early the bigger riders took the race on. The race was always going to be selective enough.

They were already properly racing well before Arenberg and by 50km to go they were all swinging and you sort of got statis, save for mechanicals or crashes.