13»

Comments

• bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited August 2021

dish_dash said:

dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

Probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but have you ever seen any substantial green veg in a Spanish dish?

Southern european cuisines generally makes less use of green veg than cuisines further north and east in Europe, so what you question about Spanish cooking can also be asked of other Med cooking. One can easily get the impression green veg is rare, but this is probably only a half-truth, because these cuisines often integrate a green veg into a dish rather than have it as a separate side veg dish, so one notices its presence less.

In spanish cooking I can think of the following green veg being fairly regularly used: green peppers, turnip tops, french beans, savoy cabbage, broad beans, peas, green asparagus, leeks, as well as green olives and salads made of iceberg lettuce and curly endive. And I'd guess courgettes and spinach are probably often used too.
    I say this as I've travelled a fair bit in Spain and beyond the fancy eateries (as in, more than €100 for two), the evening food mainly seems to consist of a big slab of grilled meat/fish with some kind of fried potato. Granted the meat/fish is always excellent, but after a week or so I feel like I'm short of nutrients!
    TBF it's not that different in the UK... minus the excellence.
    Not sure that's true in London. The ability to buy a vast array of reasonably priced foods in one of the things I love about it.
    Fair, though I consider London to be separate from the rest of the UK on most things including this.
    Plenty of good restaurants around the UK... Yes your typical pub menu is still fairly chip-heavy but there's a lot more to British food than that these days, including outside of London (shock).
    What if you don't want British food and are in the desert?
    I probably wouldn't want a Sunday roast in the Sahara either.

There's loads of good food of all cuisines available in Manchester and elsewhere.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,732
    Verona attacks at 6km to go and Storver can follow. Cross winds.
  • bobmcstuff
    Sivakov will be annoyed with that, must have burnt a few matches with those chain drops
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Storer over-geared?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    There are avant garde films from the 60s made on LSD that have better editing than this Vuelta coverage
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021
    Missed the finish as my kitchen floor arribed but it looks like Storer won, Verona 2nd and Roglic finishes with the favourites and leads the overall by 10s.
  • rick_chasey
    OK 8s.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,132
    https://www.nationalrestaurantawards.co.uk/

No 1 is five minutes up the road......
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • bobmcstuff
    andyrac said:

https://www.nationalrestaurantawards.co.uk/

No 1 is five minutes up the road......

My old office was in Ormskirk, looks like one of the cheapest ways to get to a two star restaurant that, not made it though. I've had L'Enclume booked for my last 2 wedding anniversaries and it's been cancelled for COVID both times..........

Manchester wise - I've been to Mana at no.11 (albeit just before it got it's star). Erst has done amazingly there, really punching above its weight to get to no.47 in that list. Had a couple of their lockdown things.

I've been to quite a few of the London ones on that list, there's restaurants I've been to in Manchester which are at least as good as e.g., Brawn and Quality Chop House (which are both great...). Creameries in Chorlton for example.

I'm going here this evening https://www.themoorrestaurant.co.uk/
  • rick_chasey
    I see the Vuelta has captured forum’s imagination
  • bobmcstuff

Quite a few good tapas restaurants round here ;)

I might get the cycling podcast wine thing again, it was good for the Giro. Got the Tour box waiting too (we've been doing them as a tasting with friends and we couldn't find a day that worked during the Tour itself).
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,794

pblakeney said:

jimmyjams said:

Probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but have you ever seen any substantial green veg in a Spanish dish?

Southern european cuisines generally makes less use of green veg than cuisines further north and east in Europe, so what you question about Spanish cooking can also be asked of other Med cooking. One can easily get the impression green veg is rare, but this is probably only a half-truth, because these cuisines often integrate a green veg into a dish rather than have it as a separate side veg dish, so one notices its presence less.

In spanish cooking I can think of the following green veg being fairly regularly used: green peppers, turnip tops, french beans, savoy cabbage, broad beans, peas, green asparagus, leeks, as well as green olives and salads made of iceberg lettuce and curly endive. And I'd guess courgettes and spinach are probably often used too.
    I say this as I've travelled a fair bit in Spain and beyond the fancy eateries (as in, more than €100 for two), the evening food mainly seems to consist of a big slab of grilled meat/fish with some kind of fried potato. Granted the meat/fish is always excellent, but after a week or so I feel like I'm short of nutrients!
    Don't try ordering a steak in Italy as you will get a steak. That's it, not even the potatoes. You are supposed to get the other things in other courses. In Milan anyway.
    There's no need to get defensive. I understand Italian eating - I am a big fan.

In Spain it is often meat or fish on the menu and that's it. Or it's those arsing green peppers upthread which are normally drowning in oil and salt
    I've been busy. I wasn't being defensive (nor know why I would be), it was a tip for the uninitiated. Good win for my PTP pick. 😎
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863
    Roglic needs to fade in the 3rd . Looks good
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,863

Been a really difficult race to watch ... CK and the appalingly director calling shots ...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,262
    It looked like it was a really exciting stage, but didn't feel like it. The fight for the win up the last climb was well covered, but the rest of the day people seemed to appear and disappear from the front like magic.

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391

Watching on quest is not conducive to also posting on forum... :(
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,328
    Quite a cull there, 6 riders dnf/otl, including Carthy, Valverde, Mads Wurtz
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560

dish_dash said:

dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

Not sure that's true in London. The ability to buy a vast array of reasonably priced foods in one of the things I love about it.
    Fair, though I consider London to be separate from the rest of the UK on most things including this.
    Plenty of good restaurants around the UK... Yes your typical pub menu is still fairly chip-heavy but there's a lot more to British food than that these days, including outside of London (shock).
    Sitting in Birmingham having had a 9 course Michelin star worthy tasting menu last night I'm well aware of the UK food scene.

My original point being that generic UK restaurant food tends not to be very veggie heavy either. And often the meat and potato isn't as good as in Spain...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,583
    Not exactly forensic collision investigation standard. Some people have too much spare time!
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,640
    dish_dash said:

dish_dash said:

dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

Sitting in Birmingham having had a 9 course Michelin star worthy tasting menu last night I'm well aware of the UK food scene.

My original point being that generic UK restaurant food tends not to be very veggie heavy either. And often the meat and potato isn't as good as in Spain...
    Usually has a veggie option though which you might not find in some countries.

Nonetheless, you're being far too agreeable.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    That video is frightening though