La Vuelta 2021 - Stage 7: Gandia > Balcón de Alicante - 152 km **Spoilers**

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,861

Carthy abandons.

Hasn't been going well all year
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    edited August 2021
    Nasty Valverde crash.

You could see him correct halfway through the corner but that semed to make it worse.

Fell down the hill and just missed the armco. Looked nasty but he's standing.

Holding the collarbone. He's broken it by the looks of it.
  • rick_chasey
    Move from Lopez, Carapaz and Roglic.
  • rick_chasey
    Ah on the slowmo you see Valverde just clip a bump or a pothole in the corner and that sends him too wide and in an attempt to correct he slides off.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,572

Nasty Valverde crash.

You could see him correct halfway through the corner but that semed to make it worse.

Carlton says pothole so probably not a pothole. Looks like he's out.
  • rick_chasey
    Pross said:

Nasty Valverde crash.

Carlton is correct.
  • rick_chasey

Move from Lopez, Carapaz and Roglic.

Move goes nowhere.
  • rick_chasey
    Valverde back on the bike, teammates literally pushing him.
  • mididoctors
    Old man under pressure syndrome
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Shame
  • Pross

Pross said:

Nasty Valverde crash.

Carlton is correct.
    Stopped clock and all that.
  • Pross
    Done now
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021
    Directors giving us the Valverde drama in full here. Valverde now parked by the side of the road hunched over his bike - looks pretty upset. Crying into the chest of his coach. I think he's out.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631
    Is that permanent retirement for Valverde?
  • Pross
    End of a career or is he signed up for next season?
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    dish_dash said:

dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

Probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but have you ever seen any substantial green veg in a Spanish dish?

Southern european cuisines generally makes less use of green veg than cuisines further north and east in Europe, so what you question about Spanish cooking can also be asked of other Med cooking. One can easily get the impression green veg is rare, but this is probably only a half-truth, because these cuisines often integrate a green veg into a dish rather than have it as a separate side veg dish, so one notices its presence less.

In spanish cooking I can think of the following green veg being fairly regularly used: green peppers, turnip tops, french beans, savoy cabbage, broad beans, peas, green asparagus, leeks, as well as green olives and salads made of iceberg lettuce and curly endive. And I'd guess courgettes and spinach are probably often used too.
    I say this as I've travelled a fair bit in Spain and beyond the fancy eateries (as in, more than €100 for two), the evening food mainly seems to consist of a big slab of grilled meat/fish with some kind of fried potato. Granted the meat/fish is always excellent, but after a week or so I feel like I'm short of nutrients!
    TBF it's not that different in the UK... minus the excellence.
    Not sure that's true in London. The ability to buy a vast array of reasonably priced foods in one of the things I love about it.
    Fair, though I consider London to be separate from the rest of the UK on most things including this.
    Plenty of good restaurants around the UK... Yes your typical pub menu is still fairly chip-heavy but there's a lot more to British food than that these days, including outside of London (shock).
  • rick_chasey
    17km to go, Cradick, Sivakov and storer as a front 3, 35s ahead of the next group - favourites still 5m behind.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,931

dish_dash said:

dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

Probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but have you ever seen any substantial green veg in a Spanish dish?

Southern european cuisines generally makes less use of green veg than cuisines further north and east in Europe, so what you question about Spanish cooking can also be asked of other Med cooking. One can easily get the impression green veg is rare, but this is probably only a half-truth, because these cuisines often integrate a green veg into a dish rather than have it as a separate side veg dish, so one notices its presence less.

In spanish cooking I can think of the following green veg being fairly regularly used: green peppers, turnip tops, french beans, savoy cabbage, broad beans, peas, green asparagus, leeks, as well as green olives and salads made of iceberg lettuce and curly endive. And I'd guess courgettes and spinach are probably often used too.
    I say this as I've travelled a fair bit in Spain and beyond the fancy eateries (as in, more than €100 for two), the evening food mainly seems to consist of a big slab of grilled meat/fish with some kind of fried potato. Granted the meat/fish is always excellent, but after a week or so I feel like I'm short of nutrients!
    Not sure that's true in London. The ability to buy a vast array of reasonably priced foods in one of the things I love about it.
    Fair, though I consider London to be separate from the rest of the UK on most things including this.
    Plenty of good restaurants around the UK... Yes your typical pub menu is still fairly chip-heavy but there's a lot more to British food than that these days, including outside of London (shock).
    Very true, but a large number of contributors think it's a desert outside of the shithole, sorry, I mean London.
  • rick_chasey
    Jumbo setting a fairly fast tempo on the front - Gesink currently.
  • bobmcstuff

dish_dash said:

dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

Very true, but a large number of contributors think it's a desert outside of the censored , sorry, I mean London.
    Yeah exactly, and as someone who lives in Manchester I took offence :smiley:
  • rick_chasey
    edited August 2021
    16km to go, Sivakov attacks and then loses the chain lol. Craddock and Storer carry on.
  • bobmcstuff
    Sivakov mechanical... Tried to attack and dropped chain?
  • rick_chasey
    Storer attacks and drops Craddock, Sivacov chasing and also drops Craddock.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Will Sivakov replace G as the rider who if they didn't have bad luck would have no luck whatsoever!
  • rick_chasey
    Sivacov gets onto Storer's wheel.
  • rick_chasey
    10km to go, Craddock gets back on on the downhill.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087

dish_dash said:

dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

Very true, but a large number of contributors think it's a desert outside of the censored , sorry, I mean London.
    Yeah exactly, and as someone who lives in Manchester I took offence :smiley:
    I had a great meal in Whitby a week ago that wasn’t fish and chips.
  • Dorset_Boy

10km to go, Craddock gets back on on the downhill.

And straight out the back again as the climb starts! :)
  • rick_chasey
    Verona and Kron get on to make it a 4some up front.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,631

dish_dash said:

dish_dash said:

jimmyjams said:

What if you don't want British food and are in the desert?