TdF 2021: Rest day 2 ***SPOILERS***

13»

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,935

Avondetappen had Tom Stamsnijder on, and he was discussing the development they've had at DSM, where they're created bike kit for different parts of the body that is much less likely to rip - basically to avoid the kind of horrendous road-rash injuries we saw people like Roglic have.

They showed a nasty crash in a women's race with a DSM rider during a bunch sprint where the baselayer didn't rip at all and so the rider only had bruises and no skin loss.

There does seem to be more skin lost in crashes, presumably because of the more aero kit, so I thought it was a very interesting development.

Wasn't there talk a couple of years ago of adding graphene (?) or something to the fabrics to make them less likely to rip?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Think there's been talk of adding graphene to everything at some point...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,592

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

I pointed out on twitter that for all their talent Jumbo haven't really got much out of this season so far. Gent-Wevelgem, Amstel Gold (just) and the Basque Tour. They really need something out of this race, even if it is just stages.

By contrast Ineos have the Giro. Plus Dauphine, Tour de Suisse, Romandie, Catalunya.

There has to be a in form roglic bernal pogacar showdown next year maybe the young Dane

There's still the possibility at this year's Vuelta
    This wasn’t really on the cards until Rog left the Tour - must admit it’s quite a prospect as excitement in this race wanes…
    With Bernal being killer in the first part but then struggling to maintain, Pog being potentially brilliant throughout but fatigued from Tour and Rog perhaps having most to prove (also with a question over his three week capacity)… nicely setting it all up for the GTs next year…
    I think Adam Yates is meant to be Ineos's GC contender as well, but perhaps with Bernal that could work really well.
    Presumably Pog can theoretically 'take it easy' for the rest of the race, especially knowing he should boss the TT with specific regards to his GC rivals, so maybe he will be in a better place than would have been imagined to tackle the Vuelta.

If he won it, he would then be in a position to do what Froome did in recent years, and go for the hat trick by taking on the Giro next year.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    daniel_b said:

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

I pointed out on twitter that for all their talent Jumbo haven't really got much out of this season so far. Gent-Wevelgem, Amstel Gold (just) and the Basque Tour. They really need something out of this race, even if it is just stages.

By contrast Ineos have the Giro. Plus Dauphine, Tour de Suisse, Romandie, Catalunya.

There has to be a in form roglic bernal pogacar showdown next year maybe the young Dane

This wasn’t really on the cards until Rog left the Tour - must admit it’s quite a prospect as excitement in this race wanes…
    With Bernal being killer in the first part but then struggling to maintain, Pog being potentially brilliant throughout but fatigued from Tour and Rog perhaps having most to prove (also with a question over his three week capacity)… nicely setting it all up for the GTs next year…
    I think Adam Yates is meant to be Ineos's GC contender as well, but perhaps with Bernal that could work really well.
    Presumably Pog can theoretically 'take it easy' for the rest of the race, especially knowing he should boss the TT with specific regards to his GC rivals, so maybe he will be in a better place than would have been imagined to tackle the Vuelta.

If he won it, he would then be in a position to do what Froome did in recent years, and go for the hat trick by taking on the Giro next year.
    I get the feeling Pog isn't a rider that is able to do that at the moment. As soon as he sees any rival make a move he seems to feel the need to chase (and then exert his dominance by beating them) rather than sit back with his comfortable cushion and let the other podium contenders do the work.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,329
    Pross said:

daniel_b said:

RichN95. said:

RichN95. said:

I get the feeling Pog isn't a rider that is able to do that at the moment. As soon as he sees any rival make a move he seems to feel the need to chase (and then exert his dominance by beating them) rather than sit back with his comfortable cushion and let the other podium contenders do the work.
    Yeah, I think he's into the psychological dominance thing. Hopefully someone can take advantage of it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format