New car advice please

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    edited June 2021
    Yup.

The Anaconda is the same - once the V-Tec kicks in at 4,500/5,000 it just phucksoff to just above 8,000 sounding all mega, so you just end up driving it flappy paddley at a billion revs laughing chaotically as you burn everything else off.

its gonna go so wrong one day and hopefully the Yaris or whatever I end up with will delay this.
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    edited June 2021
    The M4 just shifts and you don't even notice you're going a squillion miles an hour.

We're not too worried about the depreciation because of initial purchase cost.
  • MattFalle
    ddraver said:

What about a Golf GTE?

Bit of an issue with being an early adopter perhaps...

Top Gear not wholly dismissive, although not overly enamoured either -https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/volkswagen/golf-gte

Good call - grazie. A friend is looking at one of these so I was going to tap him up.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,684
    MattFalle said:

The M4 just shifts and you don't even notice you're going a squillion miles an hour.

Did you buy it after someone else started the engine? Good move.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    Golf GTI - The car for the man who doesn't care what car he has...

(me...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • First.Aspect
    ddraver said:

(me...)

It's the car we should have bought if we had common sense.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Did you buy it after someone else started the engine? Good move.
    yup - I think i said 13k on the clock above but i actually think it was 9 or 10...... basically brand new but a massive chunk off the price.
  • MattFalle
    ddraver said:

(me...)

A GTI is just mega. I'd love one.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Long wait list for GTE's?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    oxoman said:

You could always have the Golf GTD its marginally slower but does 60 plus mpg.

environmentally disastrous and about to get legislated out of existence, non?
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

Long wait list for GTE's?

yup.
  • MattFalle
    oxoman said:

TDV also just said no, with no real reason given, just no.
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

oxoman said:

TDV also just said no, with no real reason given, just no.
    Doesn't understand modern exhaust recycling systems or use of urine, sorry, adblue.

Tell her to talk to a patent attorney who has prosecuted automotive cases. We can help.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,164
    MattFalle said:

oxoman said:

New purchases in a couple of year's time but second hand would still be allowed I think.
    That could increase the resale value (ICE cars becoming rare) or decrease (electric is the new norm).

If TDV doesn't like the GTD just buy a GTE badge and swap them, she'll never notice.
  • First.Aspect
    thistle_ said:

MattFalle said:

oxoman said:

New purchases in a couple of year's time but second hand would still be allowed I think.
    That could increase the resale value (ICE cars becoming rare) or decrease (electric is the new norm).

If TDV doesn't like the GTD just buy a GTE badge and swap them, she'll never notice.
    Didn't know was deaf.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,156
    Second hand Tesla

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106153851721?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=27500&postcode=SS30AS&page=1&make=TESLA&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance

Bit over budget and not an entirely serious suggestion, but five door, looks good, quick, good mpg, and a very, very good stereo...

• MattFalle

Second hand Tesla

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202106153851721?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=27500&postcode=SS30AS&page=1&make=TESLA&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance

Bit over budget and not an entirely serious suggestion, but five door, looks good, quick, good mpg, and a very, very good stereo...

alternative option though - grazie. especially noted re the stereo #priorities

but at that mileage?
  • First.Aspect
    MattFalle said:

Second hand Tesla

alternative option though - grazie. especially noted re the stereo #priorities

but at that mileage?
    Is the timing belt going to need replacing? What about the head gasket. Apples and pears.

The leather on the drivers seat will still be shiny though.
  • First.Aspect
    Are air bags, crumple zones, and degree of corrosion resistance or sat nav a consideration?

If not, there's a whole universe of really quite pretty pre-EUgly cars available. If I was allowed I'd have an old Rover P6, or a Triumph Dolomite or something like that. You can be going 50 mph, will feel like you are about the break the sound barrier. Have less mechanical grip than a toboggan, loads of fun. Parts available on ebay. Simpler to fix than a washing machine.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367

Are air bags, crumple zones, and degree of corrosion resistance or sat nav a consideration?

If not, there's a whole universe of really quite pretty pre-EUgly cars available. If I was allowed I'd have an old Rover P6, or a Triumph Dolomite or something like that. You can be going 50 mph, will feel like you are about the break the sound barrier. Have less mechanical grip than a toboggan, loads of fun. Parts available on ebay. Simpler to fix than a washing machine.

An old Mini, even at the 20mph limit around here it feels like you're breaking the sound barier. Always makes me smile, have to floor it everywhere.
  • First.Aspect

An old Mini, even at the 20mph limit around here it feels like you're breaking the sound barier. Always makes me smile, have to floor it everywhere.
    I used to have an MGBGT. British Leyland had designed it aerodynamically. It generated lift at the front end above about 75 mph. Tremendously exciting.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,508
    Mrs Singleton has a 3dr Mini Cooper and it's a nice drive - the 3 cylinder engine means it doesn't feel gutless at mid revs and it averages around 40mpg.

5 door one would fit the bill if you're happy with regular fuel.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,463
    If you were considering an EV then I'd recommend going the lease hire route. The associated repair bills if anything is accidentally damaged could be eyewatering as this driver of an iPace found out:
    https://msn.com/en-gb/cars/ownership/damage-to-jaguar-i-pace-battery-enclosure-comes-with-huge-repair-bill/ar-BB1e9zew

If you are buying 2nd hand then make sure you get a good warranty and extend it for another 3 years then get shot after 2.5

I can see car insurance prices going up with more and more EV cars on the road that will be scrapped as repair costs are too high.

Just a thought.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,367
    edited June 2021
    So I clicked on the link above, that linked to the perfect thing for ferrying MFs around the wilds of Wales, it even has their motto on the side of it.
    https://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/uk-chevrolet-silverado-monster-truck-heads-to-auction-with-11-seats/ar-AALllRd
    I don't think the mpg will be very good though
  • darkhairedlord
    darkhairedlord Posts: 7,180

If you were considering an EV then I'd recommend going the lease hire route. The associated repair bills if anything is accidentally damaged could be eyewatering as this driver of an iPace found out:
    https://msn.com/en-gb/cars/ownership/damage-to-jaguar-i-pace-battery-enclosure-comes-with-huge-repair-bill/ar-BB1e9zew

If you are buying 2nd hand then make sure you get a good warranty and extend it for another 3 years then get shot after 2.5

I can see car insurance prices going up with more and more EV cars on the road that will be scrapped as repair costs are too high.

Just a thought.

that is Norway, the £30,000 probably covers two days labour and £20 parts.
  • MattFalle
    Ciao

update:

drove the Yaris. 90 odd mpg. The most boring uninspiring thing in the world. Nearly smashed it up after 7 miles because TDV and I fell asleep in it as its so boring.

uninspiring. dull. just, well, gray. even the stereo is bland. not even a proper handbrake. and a sizeable amount of cash.

apart from mpg, nothing at all going for it.

Took an Aygo out........

.......... utterly wonderful. Like being 17 again. Buzzy, fun, top stereo in it, keyless start, keyless entry, full leather with bucket seats, alloys, manual with a proper handbrake for handbrake turns, bi-tone paint, reversing camera, tinted windows. Crying with laughter after 300 yards at 35mph. Bangs up to 95 and sits there like a Tron mobile. 50mpg.

Its big enough inside for two adults and two teenagers with room to spare and so small you never have to slow down through country lanes to let cars coming the opposite way past.

All for less than £15k brand new OTR.

Its wonderful.

I don't want it. I need it.
  • MattFalle

same as an Apache
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,834
    How about being patriotic and going for an electric Fiat 500?
  • MattFalle
    Grazie but haven't got faith in the entire charging network yet.

Also only 3 door and most probs double the price of an Aygo.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    The Bianchi of cars...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver