National champs 2021 *spoilers*

13»

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,114
    Ben Swift takes it from Fred Wright. Think Ethan Hayter got third after nearly catching them on the final climb up to the finish.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Cracking finish that with the question of whether Hayter could close the gap and then the battle to the line between Swift and Wright. Swift got the inside line on the steepest corner which seemed to be the clincher. Superb ride by Watson from Team Inspired.
  • Interesting final 10k or so. Such a pain that they don't show distance to go and time gaps in real-time.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,006
    Yes, decent last lap, but would it really be so hard to give a distance countdown?
  • ibr17xvii
    ibr17xvii Posts: 1,065
    Really enjoyed the race but thought the coverage was a bit sub standard TBH.

Can’t understand why it wasn’t on Eurosport.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Great race that. Think Hayter was strongest, but didn't want to chase down his teammate or the kid he came up through the ranks with (him and Wright both ex VCL).
  • Pross
    ibr17xvii said:

Really enjoyed the race but thought the coverage was a bit sub standard TBH.

Can’t understand why it wasn’t on Eurosport.

I watched it on Eurosport. Must have just been on the player I guess?
  • Pross

Interesting final 10k or so. Such a pain that they don't show distance to go and time gaps in real-time.

Yep, providing race information seems like an absolute minimum for a televised race. The cameras on the climb were poorly positioned too, the race has been going on for decades so you'd think someone would know how to locate cameras so the crowd don't block them buy now.
  • bm5
    bm5 Posts: 530
    Shame for Harry Tanfield to miss the podium when he was attacking all day but Hayter was obviously strong on the climb.
    Shame about the picture coverage but I liked the Eurosport commentary as they obviously knew the face so well and seemed to be really enjoying it.
    Watson had a great ride so glad he got the climbing prize.
    Hope the women have dried out and warmed up.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,519
    Tanfiled looked like he only had a chance to win if he broke the others on the final lap flatter part, his climbing looked suspect every lap... good effort though.
    I agree about Watson, a great ride from him and justified "prize".
    Shout out to my mate Gruff for his 13th place...Da iawn.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,620
    ITV4 just had a highlights programme on. Should be on +1 now for anyone who missed it at the weekend.

• notquite6foot
    notquite6foot Posts: 248
    edited October 2021
    Going somewhat OT, Ethan Hayter's Worlds omnium win in Roubaix the week after Road Nationals was damn impressive. There was a chasm in points between himself and the runner-up (Aaron Gate) when all was said and done.