Cavendish for the Tour? Should people work for free?

124»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,208
    I don't see JA as a genuine yellow jersey contender so as mentioned above he can just fend for himself and go for stages that suit him.
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508

Who do they have to support Alaphillippe when it goes uphill?

At the moment, Cattaneo. I think the bigger question would be who is going to pull back the breakaway if they have the two best sprinters. At the moment, they have Declercq to do that, but despite being the best domestique in 2020*, he is going to need some help.

*BR would have awarded this WvA.
    Errr... May I introduce you to Kasper Asgreen, a one man break destroyer and sprint train member?
    I assumed after winning flanders he would have more of a free role and not be expected to chase breaks all day.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,198

Who do they have to support Alaphillippe when it goes uphill?

At the moment, Cattaneo. I think the bigger question would be who is going to pull back the breakaway if they have the two best sprinters. At the moment, they have Declercq to do that, but despite being the best domestique in 2020*, he is going to need some help.

*BR would have awarded this WvA.
    Errr... May I introduce you to Kasper Asgreen, a one man break destroyer and sprint train member?
    I assumed after winning flanders he would have more of a free role and not be expected to chase breaks all day.
    I'm not sure QS works like that. I'm sure he'll get chances on lumpy days, but when there's a sprint stage he'll work for the team
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    I can't see them taking Cav if they take Bennett - it's a shame but I'm not even sure Cav would want to go as a reserve.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Wouldn’t write off JA.

People did the same during the Tour ahead of the worlds last year when he was blowing up big time in break after break.

Instead he was using those breaks as training.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,124

Wouldn’t write off JA.

People did the same during the Tour ahead of the worlds last year when he was blowing up big time in break after break.

Instead he was using those breaks as training.

It was watching the ventoux challenge that made me doubt his chances there.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    Possibly. I've not seen him much.

Unless it's wet he pretty much turns up for every big race with decent legs.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,124

Possibly. I've not seen him much.

Unless it's wet he pretty much turns up for every big race with decent legs.

He wasn't riding there, he was in tour de Suisse at the time. But no way can he stay with the real climbers. The way Lopez just flew away from some seemingly decent quality climbers was crazy. Someone will do that and put enough time in that he can't make it back on the descent.
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    What are the commercial terms!!!!!

(I don't actually care)
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    Does that mean he's got a new contract/pay deal?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    hope he gets around the whole parcours and snaffles a stage (at least). if this is his last year then to go out with a stage win would be fantastic
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,508
    amrushton said:

hope he gets around the whole parcours and snaffles a stage (at least). if this is his last year then to go out with a stage win would be fantastic

I doubt it will be his last year if he wins a stage.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    He is in a good place. I hope Bennets knee gets better thou . .... Cav is back . I think he will win a stage
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    William Fothering noting no Remi Cavagna in DQS team - so no French Nationals Jersey
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Amazing news - though I thought just a few days ago they said SB was sorted and was in. That changed quickly....?
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,924
    edited June 2021
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    dabber said:
    "As for Cavendish, Lefevere sees taking the Manxman as a choice that can only have positives.

"As far as Mark Cavendish is concerned, the expectations are not too high. He is not 30 years old anymore. It is to his credit that he is nervous as if he has to ride his first race in the juniors. If he does not win, everyone will think that is normal If he does win, everyone will put him on a throne," he said."
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    edited June 2021
    Maybe he wins 2 this year, 2 next year and 1 in 2023. 😁
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    He wins a stage it would be 13 years since his first. The longest gap between first and last was 14 years in 1909/1923.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • amrushton
    amrushton Posts: 1,249
    Bit on cycling news from LeFevre. Seems to be more going on re Bennett hence the Cavendish selection
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Cav and I are basically the same age. All this talk of him being at retirements door is making it harder to believe my surprise call up for Omega-Ineos Saxky-Bank-Step is getting more and more unlikely.... 😞
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Nonsense! Keep training. It will happen! 😉
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    ddraver said:

Cav and I are basically the same age. All this talk of him being at retirements door is making it harder to believe my surprise call up for Omega-Ineos Saxky-Bank-Step is getting more and more unlikely.... 😞

It's the year you put in more slash better training and still go slower is the real depressing one
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited June 2021
    ddraver said:

I'm 3 years younger than Cav... we are the same height and weight too... Plenty of time for me yet!!

I think my sprint power might be a few watts off though 🤔
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    edited June 2021
    Ignore