Cavendish for the Tour? Should people work for free?

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    If he doesn't go to the Tour, he might not get another chance

I'd have thought a deal on money could be done quite easily.
    Lefevere will want Cav's personal sponsor to foot the bill

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

If he doesn't go to the Tour, he might not get another chance

I'd have thought a deal on money could be done quite easily.
    Lefevere will want Cav's personal sponsor to foot the bill

And there is the rub summarised.
    It is all negotiations.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,941
    Just sorry Cav's opportunity may come at Bennett's expense.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,565
    MattFalle said:

theres a difference between racism, sexism and hatred and lointing out that jingoism has no part in a commercial contract market.

robinson is the self confessed former, i'm just pointing out the latter.

Lefevre doesn’t have a problem with it. He runs the team.

Seems that’s all there is to it.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,710
    Lefevre is alway on the hunt for sponsors so would expect he’s fishing for more money
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,042
    RichN95. said:

pblakeney said:

Conflicting thoughts on this. Women's cycling will be overshadowed by the men's event, but it makes logical sense while the infrastructure is in place.

I'm referring to the Giro Donne

Actually I think you are referring to the Giro d'Italia Femminile.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,558

Maybe it's time to rename this thread?

If only someone would start a specific thread for Cab we could get back on track....
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    Pross said:

If only someone would start a specific thread for Cab we could get back on track....
    Been beaten by a 36 year old doesn't mean he's finished. He did win the other day.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    Pross said:

I'll rename this one and start a new one
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    he should get a proper contract. from the perspective of the other riders no way should this style of contracting become normalized..at the TOP level of the sport
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327

Lefevre is alway on the hunt for sponsors so would expect he’s fishing for more money

I think Rick's nailed it here. The fact that all this started with a Lefevre comment is telling. He's sitting on what's possibly huge feel-good coverage, potential front page news if Cav won a stage, and even if he doesn't then it's three weeks of following the daily Cav story, of course he's going to try and sell it.

There's money to be made for both of them, and fair play to them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

I'll rename this one and start a new one
    Was thinking more we already had the Cav's finished thread but people had to use this one as yet another discussion on him.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    edited June 2021
    I don't think it's fair to expect a rider to win before they're paid. Most of Cofidis and Lampre would be claiming benefits.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Pross
    Ben6899 said:

I don't think it's fair to expect a rider to win before they're paid. Most of Cofidis and Lampre would be claiming benefits.

And the majority of domestiques to be fair. It wouldn't work very well in a sport where most of the team are expected to help others win rather than even try to win themselves.
  • mididoctors
    Cyclist who don't win are still participants in the sport ENTERTAINMENT that we all enjoy and TV and advertiser's profit off. Everyone deserves a fair secure salary. Podagar winning the tdf TT up the plank means nothing without the other 180+ losers .
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    You are only the best because other people are trying hard to make it not so
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,647
    Stage finish in Chateuroux this year, the scene of Cavs first win.

The script is written
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,584
    I'm still hoping.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    Inner ring reporting the same
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622
    Really wild approach would be to take both. Lead out, green jersey etc. for Bennett and Cavendish just sitting on some other riders' wheels. He's sufficiently aero that not many riders would come off his wheel, so the real loss would be a domestique.
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,255
    Who do they have to support Alaphillippe when it goes uphill?
  • daniel_b
    edited June 2021

Really wild approach would be to take both. Lead out, green jersey etc. for Bennett and Cavendish just sitting on some other riders' wheels. He's sufficiently aero that not many riders would come off his wheel, so the real loss would be a domestique.

I did tout that as a possibility somewhere on this forum - I was wondering if they could look at each stage and maybe see which specific one might work best for each of the sprinters. Then they get to rest up in the grupetto for days when they are not the chosen one, and hopefully would have more chance of taking more wins overall as a pairing\team.

Fanciful and impractical probably.

On the plus side, if one has an accident or succumbs to an injury, they still have a viable option.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,930

The Ineos and Jumbo trains
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,622

At the moment, Cattaneo. I think the bigger question would be who is going to pull back the breakaway if they have the two best sprinters. At the moment, they have Declercq to do that, but despite being the best domestique in 2020*, he is going to need some help.

*BR would have awarded this WvA.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,776

The Ineos and Jumbo trains
    Pogacar obviously read my post on this subject last year. 😉
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812

Judging from the provisional names penciled in: Matteo Cattaneo is the only guy who isn't part of the DQS sprint train.
    Expect Alaphilippe to be doing a turn in that, too.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • daniel_b
    Does it beg the question of even IF they need to support him up climbs - he tends to be one of those riders who if he is feeling good will surf the wheels and go on an attack if he fancies it.

Didn't he say he would not be going for GC again as well?

In which case, perhaps more of a shout for taking JA + 2 sprinters.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,255
    daniel_b said:

Does it beg the question of even IF they need to support him up climbs - he tends to be one of those riders who if he is feeling good will surf the wheels and go on an attack if he fancies it.

Didn't he say he would not be going for GC again as well?

In which case, perhaps more of a shout for taking JA + 2 sprinters.

It would only be for food and water, and in case of a mechanical. He doesn't want/need any mountain train.

But really, I can't see him staying with them twice up Ventoux.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,327

At the moment, Cattaneo. I think the bigger question would be who is going to pull back the breakaway if they have the two best sprinters. At the moment, they have Declercq to do that, but despite being the best domestique in 2020*, he is going to need some help.

*BR would have awarded this WvA.
    Errr... May I introduce you to Kasper Asgreen, a one man break destroyer and sprint train member?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format