saturday and the pineapple of destiny

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,515
    pinno said:

Wouldn't have offended me.

Stevo's company makes them. Perhaps he can get a discount.

Could do a BOGOF deal if yours need replacing?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,324
    seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

I was going to say “pinno’s hips?”

But thought better if it.
    You feeling alright Seano?
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • veronese68
    seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    Lovely day so hardly surprising. H³ even hid in a big church, probably knew he'd be safe from an Irish Catholic in there 😂
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    oxoman said:

How about knees, a few on here need them.

knees? knees? oooh, don't mention my knees ..
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • MattFalle
    The Planet X stuff is also really nicely made so well worth a punt....
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    Lovely day so hardly surprising. H³ even hid in a big church, probably knew he'd be safe from an Irish Catholic in there 😂
    You'll always find me in a big (or little) church given half a chance. I'm a dirty great big atheist, but I love the architecture, the sheer majesty of artistic achievement in the big cathedrals, or the intimacy of small chapels, the the endless passage of human life, union and death, and what it meant to people gone by, and the sheer projection of power by the church. I always light a little candle for Isabelle too.
  • MattFalle
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    You'll always find me in a big (or little) church given half a chance. I'm a dirty great big atheist, but I love the architecture, the sheer majesty of artistic achievement in the big cathedrals, or the intimacy of small chapels, the the endless passage of human life, union and death, and what it meant to people gone by, and the sheer projection of power by the church. I always light a little candle for Isabelle too.
    this is why H3 is mega.

big props.
  • Stevo_666
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    Must confess I'm not too different in that regard.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    edited June 2021
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    Same, there's something very awe inspiring about the epic scale and workmanship that went into the old cathedrals and churches, but I guess that as the intention.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,410
    hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    I’m always amazed at how Churches and Cathedral can function financially with dwindling attendance. These grandiose, venerable, architectural titans, commonly the stand out features of any village, town or city, standing proudly as the modern world slowly erodes around them, doors open 7 days a week every day of the year.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • elbowloh
    seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    I’m always amazed at how Churches and Cathedral can function financially with dwindling attendance. These grandiose, venerable, architectural titans, commonly the stand out features of any village, town or city, standing proudly as the modern world slowly erodes around them, doors open 7 days a week every day of the year.
    Massive coffers and tax breaks.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    edited June 2021
    elbowloh said:

seanoconn said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    Massive coffers, tax breaks, tithes, income from land/property and donations.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Chichester had a contactless donation point on the way in and for the candles. I'll always give.
    elbowloh said:

hopkinb said:

seanoconn said:

seanoconn said:

pinno said:

I have 2 of them ^.

Too much sun today. 😕
    Same, there's something very awe inspiring about the epic scale and workmanship that went into the old cathedrals and churches, but I guess that as the intention.
    I was trying to say the same to mini, we could see the spire from miles off, on a walk, and I was asking her to imagine herself as a peasant, and how awe inspiring that would be, even though she would be working most of her life for her lord or the church. She just said she didn't want a history lesson. I gave up...😂
  • Stevo_666
    "We're on a mission from God..."
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,347
    Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Replacing again!? One hopes not.

I would want Honda levels of customer service and warranty (not Merc).
    ...and grease nipples, good old fashioned grease nipples.

I have visited York Minster, Cantebury Cathedral, Cologne Cathedral, La Sagrada da familia , Lincoln Cathedral and Westminster abbey. Though i've been around Notre Dame but never went in - dissuaded by legions of shouty fat yanks*.

*"Oh look, Notar daim honey... we'll do this and go see champs ayleez eh..."

All bar La Sagrada da familia/Notre dame was when I was reluctantly dragged in by parents. As an adult, they have a little bit more appeal and La Sagrada da familia is stunning.
    So I sympathise with Mini H³.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Stevo_666
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

pinno said:

Replacing again!? One hopes not.

I would want Honda levels of customer service and warranty (not Merc).
    ...and grease nipples, good old fashioned grease nipples.

I have visited York Minster, Cantebury Cathedral, Cologne Cathedral, La Sagrada da familia , Lincoln Cathedral and Westminster abbey. Though i've been around Notre Dame but never went in - dissuaded by legions of shouty fat yanks*.

*"Oh look, Notar daim honey... we'll do this and go see champs ayleez eh..."

All bar La Sagrada da familia/Notre dame was when I was reluctantly dragged in by parents. As an adult, they have a little bit more appeal and La Sagrada da familia is stunning.
    So I sympathise with Mini H³.
    Luckily my Ti dental implants are new so won't need doing for a good while.
  • elbowloh
    oxoman said:

Pinno nothing like the mainstream tourists to spoil it. I got shown around Pisa by an old taxi driver in the early Noughties. He was brilliant he didn't speak a word of english but he dragged me around the city for 2 hrs and it was great. Nearly missed the plane. Pisa airport was a strange place, watching the military guys tracking the plane down the runways with whatever machinegun they had was a tad worrying everytime we landed there though.

I found Pisa, cathedral and tower aside to be dull. Florence (been a couple of times) is lovely, but stupidily busy. The walk up the duomo tower was good though.
    Absolutely loved Sienna though, beautiful, chilled, less busy.

In Barcelona, I much preferred the Gothic cathedral to Gaudi's work.

I've never been in St Paul's in London, which seems weird thinking about it.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

oxoman said:

Pinno nothing like the mainstream tourists to spoil it. I got shown around Pisa by an old taxi driver in the early Noughties. He was brilliant he didn't speak a word of english but he dragged me around the city for 2 hrs and it was great. Nearly missed the plane. Pisa airport was a strange place, watching the military guys tracking the plane down the runways with whatever machinegun they had was a tad worrying everytime we landed there though.

I found Pisa, cathedral and tower aside to be dull. Florence (been a couple of times) is lovely, but stupidily busy. The walk up the duomo tower was good though.

I used to live in Florence (schooled there) and its utterly totally beautiful - small enough to wander around, big enough to get lost in. Enough culture and history so you can enjoy it unlike Rome where you drown in it and you end up not appreciating

small, friendly, multicultural, great football team, and, when out of the tourist centre, well priced.

been back a few times (was married 45 mins south) and would go back at any time. really lovely.

But Bologna. Now you're talkin'....
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    I spent a Christmas visiting a friend in Paris. On Christmas Day, he took me for a drive to Rouen in the morning. Walked into the cathedral just after Mass finished, was almost empty, and stood in (freezing) wonder listening to the organist play something. Utterly sublime experience.

Walked round the corner to a patisserie for coffee and croissants literally straight from the oven. Almost as heavenly as the music recital.

Picnic lunch on the beach at Dieppe.

Dinner at Chez Michou drag show cabaret restaurant on the Madeleine back in Paris.

Excellent day.

Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • elbowloh
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

oxoman said:

I used to live in Florence (schooled there) and its utterly totally beautiful - small enough to wander around, big enough to get lost in. Enough culture and history so you can enjoy it unlike Rome where you drown in it and you end up not appreciating

small, friendly, multicultural, great football team, and, when out of the tourist centre, well priced.

been back a few times (was married 45 mins south) and would go back at any time. really lovely.

Battigol!

The ex's family was from Spoleto, so spent a lot of time there and around Umbria in general. Also been to Turin, Sicily, Sorrento, Capri, Perugia, Assisi over the years for various reasons, but Sienna was my favourite by far.

The time i went to Florence with the ex when it was the fashion trade season (I think it was called PITI - she was in the trade) was fecking crazily busy).

Her and her family made me drive over the Apennines in the snow, in their car, with no snow chains as they had a meeting with someone at Armani and had to prepare some stuff in the car. It was a bit hairy to put it lightly.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh

I spent a Christmas visiting a friend in Paris. On Christmas Day, he took me for a drive to Rouen in the morning. Walked into the cathedral just after Mass finished, was almost empty, and stood in (freezing) wonder listening to the organist play something. Utterly sublime experience.

Walked round the corner to a patisserie for coffee and croissants literally straight from the oven. Almost as heavenly as the music recital.

Picnic lunch on the beach at Dieppe.

Dinner at Chez Michou drag show cabaret restaurant on the Madeleine back in Paris.

Excellent day.

We went to Rouen and Etretat via Dieppe on a school trip (middle school). I remember going to the cathedral then and also the Church of Joan of Arc, which i remember from the inside looked like an upturned wooden boat. Even as a kid i thought it was amazing.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • veronese68
    Good food in Bologna, good food throughout Italy but Bologna is particularly good. Went to Florence last summer, don't normally bother due to the crowds. It is beautiful. Siena is sublime and we tend to go there rather than Florence if the EPO fancies a trip out of the hills and into town. Verona is stunning, i may be a little biased though.
  • pinno
    Ha ha - spent time in Dieppe on an engineering exchange.

Funny old world.

On a long journey from Bordeaux to Calais one Sunday, stopped at a boulangerie in some small village along the way and had similar - Croissant and coffee as fresh as you like, whilst sitting in the shade of a small tree watching some elderly people play Boules.
    The crunch happens when driving off the ferry in Dover/landing in Heathrow*.

*Pick any UK destination.
  • MattFalle
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

oxoman said:

Battigol!

The ex's family was from Spoleto, so spent a lot of time there and around Umbria in general. Also been to Turin, Sicily, Sorrento, Capri, Perugia, Assisi over the years for various reasons, but Sienna was my favourite by far.

The time i went to Florence with the ex when it was the fashion trade season (I think it was called PITI - she was in the trade) was fecking crazily busy).

Her and her family made me drive over the Apennines in the snow, in their car, with no snow chains as they had a meeting with someone at Armani and had to prepare some stuff in the car. It was a bit hairy to put it lightly.
    I worked doing private stuff for a while and used to get fliwn into a place called Bolzano for lunch on a regular.

fly across

look, errr, handsome as required by punter

have a lusssh lunch

fly back

Bolzano us gorgeous Swissy Italian, studenty, really lovely.
  • elbowloh
    edited June 2021
    pinno said:

Funny old world.

On a long journey from Bordeaux to Calais one Sunday, stopped at a boulangerie in some small village along the way and had similar - Croissant and coffee as fresh as you like, whilst sitting in the shade of a small tree watching some elderly people play Boules.

Some friends and I did a cycle trip to Brittany. Cycle down to Portsmouth, overnight ferry to St Malo and down through Dinan, Rennes and staying in Malestroit in a lovely cycle-friendly B&B. Used that as a base and cycled round a bit. Spent a lovely day at the beach in Vannes. was great just stopping at just about any boulangerie or cafe and getting amazing, cheap food. Like ridiculously cheap. We'd often stop, have breakfast, cycle for another hour and have a second breakfast!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

oxoman said:

Battigol!

I worked doing private stuff for a while and used to get fliwn into a place called Bolzano for lunch on a regular.

fly across

have a lusssh lunch

fly back

So, you're basically saying you used to be a gigalo?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    edited June 2021
    elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

MattFalle said:

elbowloh said:

oxoman said:

Battigol!

fly across

have a lusssh lunch

fly back

So, you're basically saying you used to be a gigalo?
    Flattery. Might get you a discount though.
  • pinno
    elbowloh said:

pinno said:

Funny old world.

...ust about any boulangerie or cafe and getting amazing, cheap food...
    This.

Always remember getting out of expensive, over daily budget allowance Austria and Switzerland when I was inter-railing, arriving in Munich station and paying a only few DM for some pastries and 4 (small) tins of beer.

• elbowloh
    pinno said:

elbowloh said:

pinno said:

Funny old world.

...ust about any boulangerie or cafe and getting amazing, cheap food...
    This.

Always remember getting out of expensive, over daily budget allowance Austria and Switzerland when I was inter-railing, arriving in Munich station and paying a only few DM for some pastries and 4 (small) tins of beer.

Was in Switzerland a couple of years back with the wife (also did Austria, Salzburg and New Years in Vienna, including a trip to the opera, a traditional NYE Silversterpfad and classical concert). Interlaken first and then Lucerne. Cost us £200 a night to stay in a hostel and £9 for a cappuccino. Beer was £10 and the cheapest food we could find was a £20 margherita pizza.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk