Giro presenters fashion watch

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,722
    RichN95. said:

I still think shoes like that with no socks is daft. I do know people who dress like that so it's presumably cool at the moment.

I've hardly worn socks for a year and a half now, so I guess I'm bang on trend. Are not doing any ironing and turning up to morning meetings in a dressing gown also fashionable?
    You just need to say that you are part of the community for the double.
    I despise market speak. Note to advertisers, it has the opposite effect to what you think.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,927
    I don't really understand this thread either
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    webboo said:

So there is bunch of middle age men and older discussing the fashion choices of younger men who are successful media stars.
    I wonder how many times this has been played out.

All three are obviously putting a fair amount of thought into their outfits though - so long as it's not unkind I think they'd appreciate a light-hearted review of their choices. It's recognition that their effort has not gone unnoticed.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    no they aren't - the wardrobe depart are doing it.

its just a bit weird to be discussing 3 people's clothes like this - after all, we don't go on about what the ladies from Loose Women are wearing today.

what effort? get well paid job. wear clothes to appear on tv. done.

i presume none of us get a sartorial critique everytime we walk into work?

or is this another weird cyclist/br thing where because someone has something to do with cycling you have to praise them like the time that bloke on that unconventional fit birds thread said the lady from bbc breakfast was fit, everyone said no and he said "BUT SHE RIDES A BIKE!!!!" as that was reason enough?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    I still think she is fit and I don't need a reason.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • DeVlaeminck
    It's a bit of fun don't take it so seriously.

You don't really think the wardrobe dept are dressing them though do you ?
  • MattFalle

i realise its a bit of fun, but come on... they are a bunch of people who rode bicycles.

of course they are wardrobe dept'd - you can't just wander up in whatever you picked up off the floordrobe that morning.

its international big money tv on an international race.

make up
    wardrobe
    scripted
    the full Martin Fandango

basically Blue Peter or Top Gear for cycling
  • MattFalle
    pblakeney said:

I still think she is fit and I don't need a reason.

well she ain't
  • shirley_basso
    shirley_basso Posts: 6,195
    pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

I still think shoes like that with no socks is daft. I do know people who dress like that so it's presumably cool at the moment.

I've hardly worn socks for a year and a half now, so I guess I'm bang on trend. Are not doing any ironing and turning up to morning meetings in a dressing gown also fashionable?
    I despise market speak. Note to advertisers, it has the opposite effect to what you think.
    No it doesn't and there's a multi-billion (trillion?) dollar industry to prove it.
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,587

Incredible to think that Eurosport would be dressing them :smile:
    Imagine the discussions - 'Sorry Dan and Sean, we blew the budget with Brad and Adam, you'll need to wear your own clothes. And, can you pay for your own lunch too ...?

2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • DeVlaeminck
    MattFalle said:

i realise its a bit of fun, but come on... they are a bunch of people who rode bicycles.

of course they are wardrobe dept'd - you can't just wander up in whatever you picked up off the floordrobe that morning.

its international big money tv on an international race.

make up
    wardrobe
    scripted
    the full Martin Fandango

basically Blue Peter or Top Gear for cycling
    So Brad Wiggins walks in, beard, shaven head, tattoos, newly acquired muscles -

"what we're going to dress you in today Brad is a little white knitted top with grey jeggings, no socks and a pair of caramel tasseled loafers " !

I mean come on this is Eurosport they probably get 10 minutes makeup to stop their faces shining on camera. One of the nice things is we get to see a bit of their personality - there isn't some house style like you get with the football where they obviously are given a dress code in advance.
  • MattFalle
    yes they are - its all about an image for the station to project and for the presenters to project.

that will be what Wiggins' (I don't know him well enough to call him "Brad") agent/dresser has told him to wear

bear in mind as well advertisers, sponsors, people watching every label etc.

and yes - its Eurosport - its worth millions and millions broadcast across the world. everything is going to be watched, produced, scripted, etc etc.

they will be there for hours in advance, hours afterwards. its not Dickie Davis introducing the wrestling from Hull Town Hall.

C'mon DeV, you know better.
  • MattFalle

Imagine the discussions - 'Sorry Dan and Sean, we blew the budget with Brad and Adam, you'll need to wear your own clothes. And, can you pay for your own lunch too ...?

do you honestly think the E/Sport is run out of a broom cupboard?

• MattFalle
    edited May 2021

€1.3 billion.

they can afford to rent some clothes to make sure they don't annoy their advertisers.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Well let's just say I'd be surprised if someone is dressing them but I've been surprised before about things - if someone rocks up that morning in a Sex Pistols T shirt they'll have a shirt or a jacket ready but my assumption is they trust them to dress within guidelines of what is acceptable.

In any case my point was it's a fun thread it's not taking the piss out of the presenters - I like the way they are a bit different so I'll be disappointed if it turns out to be a Truman Show moment and everything down to Carlton's gaffes are scripted.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    Blythe has literally posted about choosing his shirts etc for presenting on GCN. They aren't getting dressed by the studio.

As above the limit of it is probably making sure they aren't wearing anything which will shimmer or blur on camera and making sure their faces aren't shiny. I assume Orla gets makeup.
  • carbonclem
    MattFalle said:

No, but if you follow the presenters on the Socials, then you'll know that they are dressing independantly. Wiggins is in some kind of paid partnerships with companies such as his tailor and dresses accordingly. It may well be agent organised, but its not Eurosport. I'd guarantee it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    webboo said:

So there is bunch of middle age men and older discussing the fashion choices of younger men who are successful media stars.

At least they're not commenting on Orla's outfit choices... Twitter the other week was awash with middle aged blokes who think it's appropriate to comment on what women wear.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

No, but if you follow the presenters on the Socials, then you'll know that they are dressing independantly. Wiggins is in some kind of paid partnerships with companies such as his tailor and dresses accordingly. It may well be agent organised, but its not Eurosport. I'd guarantee it.
    is that a 2 year spares and repair guarantee or only spares no labour?
  • carbonclem
    MattFalle said:

is that a 2 year spares and repair guarantee or only spares no labour?

No actual guarantee implied

• pblakeney

pblakeney said:

RichN95. said:

No it doesn't and there's a multi-billion (trillion?) dollar industry to prove it.
    Well, it winds me up, and it turns me off buying said products. It is only my opinion but it is the only one that counts to me. And that includes her being fit.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • shirley_basso
    You should watch The Devil Wears Prada.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    lol Shirley.

• shirley_basso
    edited May 2021

lol Shirley.

It's true though. People who think that 'marketing doesn't work on them' probably don't realise just how stupid they sound. They probably have an Amazon Prime subscription.

Everything you have ever purchased has been put in front if you, in exactly that combination and price, due to marketing.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,542
    Yeah you're right.

I just like the idea that the old duffers on here are going to watch that...
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Ben6899 said:

webboo said:

At least they're not commenting on Orla's outfit choices... Twitter the other week was awash with middle aged blokes who think it's appropriate to comment on what women wear.
    The only thing I've really noticed about Orla is that her hair changes every day. Nice to see someone expressing themselves at work, really - it's another little bit that adds to the 'relaxed' vibe people have been commenting on.
  • shirley_basso
    Just find the relevant scene...

"This…Stuff? Oh. Okay. I see. You think this has nothing to do with you. You go to your closet and you select, I don’t know that lumpy blue sweater, for instance, because you are trying to tell the world that you take yourself too seriously to care about what you put on your back. But what you don’t know is that that sweater is not just blue, its not turquoise. It’s not lapis. It’s actually cerulean. And you’re also blithely unaware of the fact that in 2002, Oscar de la Renta did a collection of cerulean gowns. And then I think it was Yves Saint Laurent —wasn’t it who showed cerulean military jackets?

Then cerulean quickly showed up in the collections of eight different designers. And it, uh, filtered down through the department stores and then trickled on down into some tragic casual corner where you, no doubt, fished it out of some clearance bin. However, that blue represents millions of dollars and countless jobs and its sort of comical how you think that you’ve made a choice that exempts you from the fashion industry when, in fact, you’re wearing a sweater that was selected for you by the people in this room from a pile of stuff."
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,454
    MattFalle said:

yes they are - its all about an image for the station to project and for the presenters to project.

that will be what Wiggins' (I don't know him well enough to call him "Brad") agent/dresser has told him to wear

bear in mind as well advertisers, sponsors, people watching every label etc.

and yes - its Eurosport - its worth millions and millions broadcast across the world. everything is going to be watched, produced, scripted, etc etc.

they will be there for hours in advance, hours afterwards. its not Dickie Davis introducing the wrestling from Hull Town Hall.

C'mon DeV, you know better.

I know the presenters on BBC Breakfast choose their own clothes (they no doubt have a dress code to keep up the "standards" old duffers that run the BBC expect). I know this as Dan Walker was on The One Show the other day and asked which of the two shirts he had ready he should wear. I believe that directly employed presenters used to get a clothing allowance but most are freelancers these days so that wouldn't apply.

TV and film extras don't even get dressed by wardrobe (presumably unless they are in some sort costume drama), they just get told to turn up with clothes of certain type or colour.
  • “Wardrobe department”... at GCN/Eurosport? Lol, no.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Ben6899 said:

webboo said:

The only thing I've really noticed about Orla is that her hair changes every day. Nice to see someone expressing themselves at work, really - it's another little bit that adds to the 'relaxed' vibe people have been commenting on.

The whole format - Brad's, Adam's and Orla's clothes included - is very refreshing. I really like it.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/