Giro 2021:- Stage 13: Ravenna – Verona 198 km **Spoilers**

13»

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    Gaviria lost his saddle at some point in the final.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804

What! That's absurd
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709

I've seen the photo on Twitter, but I presume it's just the angle of the photo and Brian Smith trying to be funny/clever.

Eitherway, so I don't need to ask in the Workshop sub-board, anyone care to explain how it comes about that a saddle stem does occasionally snap ??

I have seen it twice - once when I stopped at the bottom of a pass, a guy who came down after me paused to show me/someone/anyone what had happened to him, he was so surprised/aghast – his saddle stem had snapped off about halfway up its length. I forget if he told me where it happened, whether on the ascent or descent. But not from a crash.
    The other occasion was at the top of a pass when I reached a guy already up there consulting with his mates what to do next - apparently his stem had snapped off, right where it comes out of the frame, when he was going up the climb.
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    That second one sounds pretty obvious, I guess it was carbon? It was overtightened when fitted and then failed at some point later on.

I've seen them fail at the fixing point when subject to an impact (MTB...)
  • mididoctors
    Carbon steerers
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    These are very expensive bikes they shouldn't snap
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    jimmyjams said:

Eitherway, so I don't need to ask in the Workshop sub-board, anyone care to explain how it comes about that a saddle stem does occasionally snap ??

PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    F1 carbon suspension parts are very, very expensive.
    They snap when used incorrectly.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,736
    I've never had a seat post snap but I've twice had a saddle clamp snap.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    Gaviria's seat post didn't snap, it was the clamp the holds the saddle to the seat post that failed, as you can see from this photo.

• jimmyjams
    jimmyjams Posts: 709
    Thanks for the answers – in the second case I mentioned, I'd guess overtightening was the cause, while in the first case perhaps I've remembered things incorrectly, and it wasn't the stem which snapped halfway up its length rather the guy had lost his saddle because the clamps snapped.