thursday from our own correspondent

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    thistle_ said:

hopkinb said:

I had a sampler bucket of korean fried chicken, 4 different flavours. Load of kimchi and pickles. I wouldn't wish to be Mrs H³, or even the dog. Tonight will be turbulent.

A tailwind is always a relief
    Is that an MI6 pass phrase?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,341
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

Bambina is climbing a cliff so popped into the local chippy for a sneaky portion of chips on my way to pick her up, so currently sunset, chips, chillin'

#nice

No battered sausage? If you're going to sneak a portion of chips, you may as well have a battered sausage. Or a chicken and mushroom pukka pie.
    Proper chippies don't sell battered sausage or saveloys. That's a southern chippie speciality.
    I bet they don't even know what a Poque of ships is or... chips in a bap.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • elbowloh
    edited May 2021
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

Bambina is climbing a cliff so popped into the local chippy for a sneaky portion of chips on my way to pick her up, so currently sunset, chips, chillin'

#nice

No battered sausage? If you're going to sneak a portion of chips, you may as well have a battered sausage. Or a chicken and mushroom pukka pie.
    Proper chippies don't sell battered sausage or saveloys. That's a southern chippie speciality.
    They certainly had them in chippies at Uni in Loughborough, but that probably counts as Southern to northerners.

Then again, the chippies there often seems to be run by jocks and did deep-fried mars bars and battered haggis also.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

#nice

chip cob you mean?
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

#nice

You can still get a chip batch in Coventry. Or a "scallop" batch, where the scallop is a slice of potato battered and fried. I'd stay away from the fish in Midlands chippies, the batter is too thick, and the fish is old. I never really understood fish and chips until I had some in Cornwall about 10 years ago.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Then I had some in York maybe 4 years ago. Food of the gods.
  • elbowloh
    edited May 2021
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

#nice

chip cob you mean?
    Chip butty.

Or as a post-pub snack when only the kebab shop is open, chips in slipper.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    chips 'n' scraps
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,684
    elbowloh said:

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

#nice

They certainly had them in chippies at Uni in Loughborough, but that probably counts as Southern to northerners.

Then again, the chippies there often seems to be run by jocks and did deep-fried mars bars and battered haggis also.
    Ah, haggis puddin' 'n' chips. Like I'm a teen again.
  • elbowloh
    A Scouse mate of mine said that when he was a kid, they'd buy a whole unsliced loaf, hollow it out from one end and take it to the chippie to be filled with chips.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • orraloon
    Indeed, memories memories...

Puddin's white, red, black, haggis 'n' chips. Mmmm. Wonder why Scots' health stats ain't top of the league?
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

#nice

The first fish and chip shop was in East London, northerners followed where Londoners led.
  • pinno
    orraloon said:

Indeed, memories memories...

Puddin's white, red, black, haggis 'n' chips. Mmmm. Wonder why Scots' health stats ain't top of the league?

I know, it makes no sense at all.
  • elbowloh
    hopkinb said:

Then I had some in York maybe 4 years ago. Food of the gods.

I have yet to find a really good one in Cornwall, maybe I've been to too many tourist ones.

Randomly, there is a really good one in Norwood (?). My step-dad still goes there every other week even though he retired to Whitstable 10 years ago
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    Fish and chips and curry sauce. Lovely. Scraps are a bonus.

Evening. Mrs GTi entered her last year of being in her 30s today so a nice Chinese for dinner. Work was meh. Voted for Labour. Definitely futile in the face of the old Dartford tories.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,869
    Meh, not that bothered about fish and chips. Like most takeaways I prefer the thought of it to the actual food.
  • elbowloh
    edited May 2021
    tlw1 said:

Meh, not that bothered about fish and chips. Like most takeaways I prefer the thought of it to the actual food.

I think fish and chips is pretty much the only food that is better eating out then dining in.

I.e. sitting by the seaside out of paper.

There are too many terrible chippies though, with cardboard tasting or undercooked chips and fish that is the opposite of fresh.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    edited May 2021
    elbowloh said:

A Scouse mate of mine said that when he was a kid, they'd buy a whole unsliced loaf, hollow it out from one end and take it to the chippie to be filled with chips.

The chip shop here does that, they supply the loaf so no need to bring your own, must be posh round here.
    Chip cone they call it.
  • orraloon
    Soggy chips 😳 Where I used to live for a while on a Thursday night a mobile chippie van would show up. Didn't last long. Why? 'Kin soggy chips. You have one job. So why don't you do it right?
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    elbowloh said:

thistle_ said:

hopkinb said:

I had a sampler bucket of korean fried chicken, 4 different flavours. Load of kimchi and pickles. I wouldn't wish to be Mrs H³, or even the dog. Tonight will be turbulent.

A tailwind is always a relief
    Is that an MI6 pass phrase?
    My safe phrase
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,494
    edited May 2021
    Chips 'n' gravy.

Which is also part of the Macc Lads debut album.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666

Stevo_666 said:

hopkinb said:

MattFalle said:

#nice

The first fish and chip shop was in East London, northerners followed where Londoners led.
    We just did it better.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    tlw1 said:

This ^.
    Greasy mess that you end feeling bloated after eating.
  • Stevo_666
    oxoman said:

You missed pickled eggs and battered black pudding. Go a bit further north than me and it chips in a balm cake or with an oatcake. Tatty scallops are tatty fritters around my area.

North of the Midlands? :) Thats where you get proper fish n chips.
  • elbowloh
    Actually my old uni house mate owns a fish and chip restaurant in Seahouses.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    Good fish and chips is a taste of heaven. Crispy light batter, fresh fish cooked to perfection, chips that have a slight crunch on the outside and are soft in the middle. A wedge of lemon for the fish, always homemade tartare sauce and mushy peas to round things off. Better eaten in the restaurant. Wrapping fish n chips steams the meal and it loses crispness.

Superfish restaurant has a chain of shops dotted around and is always good, free warm bread and prawns before every meal too.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,407
    oxoman said:

My local chippy gets fresh fish from Whitby everyday, never had a bad one yet. Southerners definitely do strange stuff a well as the jocks. I remember asking for mushy peas in Southampton area many years ago and getting a battered ball of mushy peas, wasn't nice if memory serves me right.

Did mushy peas originate in the north?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pinno
    seanoconn said:

Good fish and chips is a taste of heaven. Crispy light batter, fresh fish cooked to perfection, chips that have a slight crunch on the outside and are soft in the middle.

Wakey wakey!

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,318
    seanoconn said:

Good fish and chips is a taste of heaven. Crispy light batter, fresh fish cooked to perfection, chips that have a slight crunch on the outside and are soft in the middle.

According to the guy I know, grandson of the bloke that started the first chippy, it's to do with the oil they fry in. They used to use nut oil which could stand a much higher temperature. The batter would stay thin. He blamed the Greeks for ruining things, said they started using cheap vegetable oil that had a lower flash point. The batter then expands and absorbs a lot of oil. End result being that a small piece of fish looks bigger, but is nowhere near as good.
    Using nut oil nowaday would be a bit of a nighmare with all of the allergies and the lawsuits that could follow.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Stevo_666 said:

oxoman said:

You missed pickled eggs and battered black pudding. Go a bit further north than me and it chips in a balm cake or with an oatcake. Tatty scallops are tatty fritters around my area.

North of the Midlands? :) Thats where you get proper fish n chips.
    and some more, NE coast, where the wind rips the skin from your bones.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy