Census - "Religion" question

1235»

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    secretsam said:

david37 said:

Which make me me smile because the right on and independent are really no different than the yokels of yesteryear. Albeit with less venerial diseases.

I wondered how long it would be before the resident troll popped up to insult people.

you started this thread wondering what people thought about religion, a topic almost certain to provide a broad spectrum of views.

In fact, you could say your post was a perfect topic for a troll and yet you call me one, presumably because you're either a troll or a cry baby. or both.

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    david37 said:

In fact, you could say your post was a perfect topic for a troll and yet you call me one, presumably because you're either a troll or a cry baby. or both.

Personal insults. How grown up.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    secretsam said:

Personal insults. How grown up.

Just one of his methods. He's reeled you in.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    He's straying close to his former, now banned alias' terminology. Bring on the bedwetting.
  • secretsam
    orraloon said:

He's straying close to his former, now banned alias' terminology. Bring on the bedwetting.

Sorry, new kid on this forum. Am I missing something?

It's a shame, we were having quite a nice debate and I had learned a lot.

• orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,692
    Don't search out posts by Coopster the nth. No, really don't. Would be depressing even if it wasn't grey, windy and wet outside.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    secretsam said:

orraloon said:

Yeah, just don’t engage. It really drags the place down.
    Occasionally some good points but not worth the tonne of irrelevant shit that comes with them.
  • secretsam
    morstar said:

secretsam said:

orraloon said:

Occasionally some good points but not worth the tonne of irrelevant censored that comes with them.
    OK, thanks for the advice. I will try to contain my contempt.

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,923
    morstar said:

secretsam said:

orraloon said:

Occasionally some good points but not worth the tonne of irrelevant censored that comes with them.

The occasional good point is part of the technique to draw people in, I suspect.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    secretsam said:

morstar said:

secretsam said:

orraloon said:

OK, thanks for the advice. I will try to contain my contempt.
    now if we want to talk about trolls we can but this is first class manipulation. I doff my cap. please try and be more subtle or some of them might see it.
  • On the general question of optional questions - I made a specific point not to answer anything that was optional - personally this sort of data I find intrusive (and I am not of FB to try and give some weight to a target of minimising my PII, although perhaps it leaks out via Strava instead)

I'm not anti government but I remain pretty unconvinced that the data is used effectively as claimed - if so we'd have no over subscribed schools as a simple example.

And on those optional ones, even after some thought, I wasn't sure how these answers would be used to improve public services or which ones.

I am open and willing to be better educated in this regard by those who may have data to back up any examples

And I'd just finished the recent Tim Harford book "How to make the world add up" so I was aligned with the need for a census and accurate data... If only politicians were as open, clear and articulate as the excellent Mr Harford

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Interesting view from "interesting" writer...

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/cultural.christianity.is.not.the.same.as.faith.in.christ/136568.htm

(Gets a little weird at the bottom...)
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    ddraver said:

Interesting view from "interesting" writer...

https://www.christiantoday.com/article/cultural.christianity.is.not.the.same.as.faith.in.christ/136568.htm

(Gets a little weird at the bottom...)

Not sure what was weird - looks like a fairly standard Christian position to me - but yes, it's difficult to disagree with the basic point. I agree that the idea that the tiny number of bishops in the HoL represents some meaningful grip on power is a bit of a stretch.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • oblongomaculatus
    oblongomaculatus Posts: 616
    edited April 2021
    elbowloh said:

elbowloh said:

rjsterry said:

lesfirth said:

singleton said:

At best, anyone who actually believes in an after life with plentiful olives and citrus fruit, and a permanent vanilla sky, has probably not questioned things they were told as a child quite enough.

I agree that children should question what their parents tell them on topics like this.

As a child I was told there was no God. I questioned that and spent some time looking into the claims of the bible and I came to the conclusion that what my parents told me was wrong, and I am an active Christian.
    You are very lucky to be able to make your own decision. The overwhelming majority of any followers of any faith were brainwashed as children into believing that they should follow their parents in the correct faith and that the billions of other religious followers had got it wrong.
    It's funny that when religion is being discussed, it's always 'brainwashing' but in any other context it's 'bringing up your children well'. The differences between religions (and non-religious moral codes) are relatively small compared with the things we pretty much all agree on.
    I think the differences can be quite big, particularly with regards to the carrot and stick you use to enforce the code.

The threat of going to hell for eternity, is pretty horrendous imo.
    It doesn't seem to provide much of a deterrent to anything in practice though does it?
    I'm not sure. A lot of religious people argue that without religion, the country would become hives of scum and villainy. So think how many murders and assaults there would be if everyone was atheist!
    I think it's the other way round. How many murders are in the name of some god or other? How often do you hear of a terrorist atrocity committed by a radical atheist?
  • On the subject of the census in general, don't have too much confidence in the data remaining confidential, as the government is at pains to emphasise. Ten years ago as an experiment I mis-spelled my name slightly (by adding an e on the end). I now get junk mail using that mis-spelling.