Census - "Religion" question

Comments

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    rjsterry said:

Cuts both ways perhaps. If you dont ask the question, the status quo is more likely. If you do ask the question and find that jedi is more popular than the CofE, that might help ultimately reduce the influence of the church.

It is not as bad as the US, but certainly religious observance as a virtue is over represented in politics in my view.

While in theory the CofE has some influence on the way the country is governed I think the practical effects are pretty minimal at least in Westminster . The objections to religious involvement in politics seem to be mostly ideological - it just shouldn't be involved - rather than objecting to any specific malign influence. I agree there's no great virtue in holding religious beliefs, but neither is there in being an ardent atheist.

There are Bishops in the Lords. FFS.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

No as in, at the pearly gates.

I'm afraid I can't help you with that.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,624

Pascal's Wager then...
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,399
    But whosoever shall deny me before an internet form, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,783

Nothing that a short stay in Purgatory won't fix.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • surrey_commuter
    surrey_commuter Posts: 18,866

orraloon said:

It is not as bad as the US, but certainly religious observance as a virtue is over represented in politics in my view.

That's observance of certain brands of religion not others, natch.
    Sure. Any weird religions like Islam are viewed as suspicious in the US.

Personally I am predisposed to mistrust any politician who is overly religious, either (a) because they are being incincere about it for political gain, or (b) because they actually believe in a god.
    I was shocked when it came out that Blair/Bush prayed together to confirm their decision to invade Iraq.

It is beyond my comprehension that so much power could be in the hands of two men who sought confirmation from a made up friend.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    capt_slog said:

Ben6899 said:

What do we think the majority answer will be, this time around?

No religion.
    Imagine.
    It isn't hard to do
  • Strangely the UK is pretty much a secular country in which any politician is unlikely to be voted in if they look religious but has a state religion in the C of E. But the USA has no state religion but politicians need to look religious in order to get the bible belt vote!
    Government and education should all be strictly non religious and I think allowing religious based schools is wrong and will store up problems for the future.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,680

Don't take this the wrong way, but does this sort of thing create ongoing friction in your marriage?

You strike me as a person capable, mostly, of rational analysis.

At best, anyone who actually believes in an after life with plentiful olives and citrus fruit, and a permanent vanilla sky, has probably not questioned things they were told as a child quite enough.

• First.Aspect

orraloon said:

Personally I am predisposed to mistrust any politician who is overly religious, either (a) because they are being incincere about it for political gain, or (b) because they actually believe in a god.
    I was shocked when it came out that Blair/Bush prayed together to confirm their decision to invade Iraq.

It is beyond my comprehension that so much power could be in the hands of two men who sought confirmation from a made up friend.
    Blair became catholic part way through his term, didn't he? Because of frog-face. He then got quite into Crusades. I do not think it was a coincidence.
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,632
    They need to know how many people will be allowed to attend the Catholic Church next to my house, twice every weekend, to mass-gather in an indoor setting. Because that's allowed.

Meanwhile I haven't seen my mum who lives alone in over a year, and I can't ride a bike outdoors with more than 1other person.

As for politicians who claim to have strong faith - Jacob Rees Mogg being a prime example - just look at their voting records on supporting the poor and unfortunate. Utter 'see you next tuesday's, all of them.
  • rjsterry

orraloon said:

Blair became catholic part way through his term, didn't he? Because of frog-face. He then got quite into Crusades. I do not think it was a coincidence.
    I don't for a moment think that either Bush or Blair went to war based on their religious beliefs. They may have attached a fig leaf of piety to their decisions in retrospect.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    edited March 2021

Don't take this the wrong way, but does this sort of thing create ongoing friction in your marriage?

At best, anyone who actually believes in an after life with plentiful olives and citrus fruit, and a permanent vanilla sky, has probably not questioned things they were told as a child quite enough.

Why are all anti-religionists so literal?

As an aside, I was reading something the other day that pointed out that belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis was relatively low before the advent of Darwinism and it has since increased - in other words it's a reaction to a challenging of the political authority of the church.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    rjsterry said:

"Gospel truth"

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,872
    edited March 2021

Love > most things.

She even voted Tory once. I still married her.

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

Religion, or more properly the church, as a moral code and a form of social glue is fine.

Brief in fairy tales is more problematic.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,507

I agree that children should question what their parents tell them on topics like this.

As a child I was told there was no God. I questioned that and spent some time looking into the claims of the bible and I came to the conclusion that what my parents told me was wrong, and I am an active Christian.
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

Religion, or more properly the church, as a moral code and a form of social glue is fine.

It depends what you think the 'fairy tales' are for.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• First.Aspect
    rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

To communicate the moral code and persuade people to follow it. And cough up some cash...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,803
    Is there an agnostic option? I'm not certain enough either way and find people who unquestioningly believe either way to be equally intriguing. Maybe I'm just not clever enough to understand the origins of life as much as others. I bet there are a lot of aethists who, on their deathbeds, have a slight niggling question of "what if I was wrong".
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    rjsterry said:

As an aside, I was reading something the other day that pointed out that belief in a literal interpretation of Genesis was relatively low before the advent of Darwinism and it has since increased - in other words it's a reaction to a challenging of the political authority of the church.
    What political authority?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh
    edited March 2021

rjsterry said:

Only works when those preaching that moral code actually follow the bloody thing themselves...
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rjsterry

rjsterry said:

rjsterry said:

To communicate the moral code and persuade people to follow it. And cough up some cash...
    The bold bit, yes; but in a lot of the stories, the 'fairy' bit is pretty incidental. For the latter two, I blame Constantine.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• elbowloh
    singleton said:

I agree that children should question what their parents tell them on topics like this.

As a child I was told there was no God. I questioned that and spent some time looking into the claims of the bible and I came to the conclusion that what my parents told me was wrong, and I am an active Christian.
    I was also told there was no god, however my mum also sent us to Sunday school, not sure why.

We also had RE lessons and had daily prayer and hymns in school, as is law.

I read the bible probably more than a lot of Christians I know and came to the conclusion that there is no god/gods.

I never really got past:

1) the epicurean argument
    2) why one god over the all the over gods that are believed around the world / have been believed in throughout history.

I have no problem with the question in the census. It's all about using the data to plan what services are needed to be provided for and, like it or not, what percentage of the country believes in what religion does inform that decision making.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    Pross said:

Is there an agnostic option? I'm not certain enough either way and find people who unquestioningly believe either way to be equally intriguing. Maybe I'm just not clever enough to understand the origins of life as much as others. I bet there are a lot of aethists who, on their deathbeds, have a slight niggling question of "what if I was wrong".

Firstly, not many I couldn't have thought. Secondly, would one naturally think tthis at all, in the absence of prolonged societal pressure? Thirdly, make your mind up. 🙂
  • First.Aspect
    singleton said:

Interested to know what persuaded you.

I was sent to Sunday school and church, because my dad wanted to get us into a particular middle school. I do not recall my parents being strongly biased either way, however. The more I looked at the issue and questioned it, and the more I was taught about science (in parallel to being taught that there was an omnipotent presence somewhere in orbit, and having to pray at assembly each morning) the less sense it made. It was quite evident to me based on all of the wankers I was at school with, and the odd abusive teacher, that there wasn't much in it other than some poorly translated stories.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    edited March 2021
    singleton said:

You are very lucky to be able to make your own decision. The overwhelming majority of any followers of any faith were brainwashed as children into believing that they should follow their parents in the correct faith and that the billions of other religious followers had got it wrong.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,746
    I'd rather they didn't ask the religion question - it does imply that your religion is more important than say whether you are a vegetarian or whether you have a full driving licence.

[Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rjsterry

Pross said:

Firstly, not many I couldn't have thought. Secondly, would one naturally think tthis at all, in the absence of prolonged societal pressure? Thirdly, make your mind up. 🙂
    How could you possibly answer this question? Where or when has there ever been a society which does not exert some form of pressure on its members to conform? Some form of religious belief can be observed pretty much everywhere there are or have been people.
    Pinnacle Monzonite