Cobbled Classics 2021 ** Spoilers**

Comments

• david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    She's won a car! nice one
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    LOL.
    This time around there are sound issues.
    Luckily on the player you can change the audio language, so I have the French lot atm.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    edited March 2021
    The picture that popped up on my GCN+ feed (frozen ATM) showed MdvP on the front of the bunch. Couldn't he hide away for a bit longer ...?
    Feed seems to be working ok now, froze on a Firefox session I had, worked on the Android phone app but now ok also on MS Edge.66.4kms remaining.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388

LOL.
    This time around there are sound issues.
    Luckily on the player you can change the audio language, so I have the French lot atm.

At least GCN has the same as ES though. In a way, that's an improvement. I don't mind listening to Maggie B too much to be honest
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • andyrr
    Nice to see Cav in a front group of 23 or so.
    For me the GCN+ feed has fluctuated between crystal clear quality to it dropping briefly. Crossed fingers for the remains of today's race.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099
    MVDP bridging.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • andyrr
    MdvP launches off the chasing bunch. How strong is that guy!?
  • DeadCalm
    The commentary is dire.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • andyrr
    DeadCalm said:

The commentary is dire.

Y, not keen on Backstead and his co-commentator. The weekend's pairings were great in comparison. Backstead seems to come out with stuff as if they were solid facts but I doesn't always gell with me.
  • ddraver
    SvM with a perfectly timed race-ruining puncture again...
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    12.5 to go,

Dries de Bondt (ahem.. APX) and Victor Campanaerts take a flyer
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    Wisniowski (TQA) has a useful gap as they head toward the final cobble section. 4.6 o go. MvdP vs QS in the group behind.

MvdP looking awfully like he may be working for others today
    - @ddraver
  • DeadCalm
    WTF was Senechal playing at?
    Team My Man 2022:

• gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    MDVP bars snapped - oops
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091

From the camera bike angle the finish looked a bit deceptive - there's a traffic calming chicane that messes with the apparent perspective, so it seemed closer than it was.

Not sure this genuinely was the reason, but interesting that the men's race had exactly the same thing happen.
  • david37
    david37 Posts: 1,313
    and it has begun. roll on Saturday
  • ddraver
    Typical, got a call with 500m to go 🙄
    - @ddraver
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,104
    ddraver said:

SvM with a perfectly timed race-ruining puncture again...

He managed to get back on and finish fourth, clearly in good form.
  • ddraver
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    I do love spoiler threads with lots of cryptic posts but minor details like what actually happened at the end or who won missing.
  • Pross
    Cycling Weekly tells me Tim Merlier
    (Alpecin) took it from Rassmus Tiller (Uno) and Andrea Pasqalon (Wanty) if anyone else was interested.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,002
    DeadCalm said:

The commentary is dire.

As long as it’s not Calvin Klein I don’t really care.
    I’m either getting used to Jose Been or she’s calmed down and improved a lot since her first outing last week.

• ddraver
    Pross said:

I do love spoiler threads with lots of cryptic posts but minor details like what actually happened at the end or who won missing.

I wasn't under the impression anyone read these threads when I wrote what was happening...
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

I wasn't under the impression anyone read these threads when I wrote what was happening...
    I saw Blazing's heads up yesterday and thought I'd have it on my spare monitor while working but ended up in yet another Teams meeting so missed it. Thought I'd have a quick look who won, read all the posts and then re-read them thinking I'd missed the post giving the result 😂
  • ddraver
    I will continue then...

(Although I'd have missed the winner today too 🙄)
    - @ddraver
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    Pross said:

I tend to avoid giving the game away, even in spoiler threads, just in case somebody happens along who fails to read the word spoiler.

Though is was the poorest edition of the race I have seen, but I blame the weather for that, more than the souped up startlist.
    If folks don't like Rob Hatch's pronunciation of names, then they aren't going to like Jose Been. Not talking about here native Dutch obviously, just in general.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,339
    edited March 2021
    The speed at which they take corners on the narrow Belgian roads even when just gliding through and not attacking was amazing to watch in this race. The camera bikes regularly had trouble keeping up through corners on pan flat roads. Really enjoyed it.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • DeadCalm

Pross said:

I tend to avoid giving the game away, even in spoiler threads, just in case somebody happens along who fails to read the word spoiler.

Though is was the poorest edition of the race I have seen, but I blame the weather for that, more than the souped up startlist.
    If folks don't like Rob Hatch's pronunciation of names, then they aren't going to like Jose Been. Not talking about here native Dutch obviously, just in general.
    It wasn't the pronunciation that I objected to, but the utter drivel being discussed during the occasional moments of actual racing. Stephens and Lloyd were excellent as a pair and presumably relatively cheap. I wish they'd stuck with that combo.
    Team My Man 2022:

• DeadCalm
    Pross said:

Cycling Weekly tells me Tim Merlier
    (Alpecin) took it from Rassmus Tiller (Uno) and Andrea Pasqalon (Wanty) if anyone else was interested.

A sprint from a reduced peloton. Deceunik had numbers, in the finale and were looking good, but Senechal launched a bizarre attack, easily marked by MVDP, that disrupted the organization of the bunch and his own team in particular, and they ended up with nobody in the top 10.
    Team My Man 2022:

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,586
    ddraver said:

Pross said:

I try my best to do them but I am often having to wrestle a toddler.