Cobbled Classics 2021 ** Spoilers**

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,441
    MvdP manages second in the sprint Pedersen wins. Pidcock or Narvaez third??
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,147
    edited February 2021
    Pross said:

Turgis was second. Pidcock third
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,552
    RichN95. said:

I think some of you are on a delay, so I won't say who won

I was wondering why everyone seemed behind.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    Pidcock! Impressed.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,924
    Good wee race. Enjoyed that

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Pross
    RichN95. said:

Pross said:

Turgis was second. Pidcock third
    Ah right, looked like MvdP's jersey. Not bad from Pidcock in a group like that, not exactly built for sprinting!

Alpecin rider took a heavy fall in a pointless sprint from the second group.
  • tailwindhome
    Crashing in a group sprinting for 30th 2 minutes behind really is as stupid as it gets to be

“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome

RichN95. said:

Think GCN had tech diffs
  • Pross

RichN95. said:

Was watching on ES app on Firestick which is usually pretty good so I was surprised to be so far behind. Luckily I didn't see the "spoilers" before the finish
  • ddraver
    Jurassic Park - The Lost World on ITV right now.

The 'long grass' scene is genuinely one of the best in cinema IMO

(Tied to my work desk even if there's nowt to do)
    - @ddraver
  • Pross said:

RichN95. said:

Was watching on ES app on Firestick which is usually pretty good so I was surprised to be so far behind. Luckily I didn't see the "spoilers" before the finish
    So was I but I wasn’t behind at all.
    Probably stream just needed to be advanced.

"Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564
    What a ride by Pidcock.

Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,283
    gweeds said:

What a ride by Pidcock.

After being very active yesterday as well. I thought he'd be too small for the classics, especially for a sprint final. He really is a special talent, looking forward to seeing him at Strade Bianca next weekend.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169

gweeds said:

What a ride by Pidcock.

After being very active yesterday as well. I thought he'd be too small for the classics, especially for a sprint final. He really is a special talent, looking forward to seeing him at Strade Bianca next weekend.

I think you've just convinced me to the GCN+ subscription.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,001
    edited February 2021
    Harry182 said:

gweeds said:

What a ride by Pidcock.

I think you've just convinced me to the GCN+ subscription.
    GCN was farked all afternoon. Only just managed to watch after no feed at all, then repeated app crashes (latter may be me, no feed was their end).
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,336
    If MvdP had Pederson's tactical ability/riding, he'd be one of the true greats. At present he only has 1 mode. Will probably never change, since he is probably uncoachable by simply always having been this good, but he loses a lot of races he could be winning by attacking way too far out (did the same during his most famous win at Amstel and only won by a miracle. Should have won the WC's Pederson won but was overworked and ate too little etc etc.).
    Is great fun to watch, but also frustrating since he could become the greatest one day racer ever.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,776
    MvP was in the wrong race . Touch of the Sagan syndrome . No one will help him win
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,564

gweeds said:

What a ride by Pidcock.

He’s only 58kg. Mad.

I can see him going well at a Flèche, Liege or Amstel.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530

MvP was in the wrong race . Touch of the Sagan syndrome . No one will help him win

I suspect he wasn’t in it to win it but to train....
  • RichN95.
    edited February 2021
    gweeds said:

gweeds said:

What a ride by Pidcock.

He’s only 58kg. Mad.

I can see him going well at a Flèche, Liege or Amstel.

And the finale at Strade will suit him if he gets there in front. I still think he'll ultimately be a stage racer
  • RichN95.
    ddraver said:

Jurassic Park - The Lost World on ITV right now.

The 'long grass' scene is genuinely one of the best in cinema IMO

(Tied to my work desk even if there's nowt to do)

I was vaguely watching this today and at the end John Hammond makes some speech about nature and I genuinely thought 'He sounds like David Attenborough, I wonder if that's deliberate' completely forgetting he's his brother.
  • Hats today go to MVDP, Tom Pidcock, that Norwegian that no-one had heard of and Belgium
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,099

Quite amused by Ineos grouping together at the back, having a good chat amongst themselves, and then agreeing that it would be unfair to pick a leader so everyone should just knock it off for the day.

Think they would have been riding for Hayter, but he crashed with less than 2km to go.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    DeadCalm said:

Quite amused by Ineos grouping together at the back, having a good chat amongst themselves, and then agreeing that it would be unfair to pick a leader so everyone should just knock it off for the day.

Think they would have been riding for Hayter, but he crashed with less than 2km to go.
    Did mean to come back to say that, after the penny had dropped, but yeah - most reasonable explanation and bad timing not just for him but the team.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    edited March 2021
    Many folk's favourite little Belgian cobbles race, Le Samyn takes place tomorrow.
    Women's race coverage starts a 1-15pm on GCN/Eurosport, the men's follows 1 hour later.
    A bit of a stellar cast due to the "Covid effect", with MvDP headlining the startlist and a special guest star in the form of Mark Cavendish.
    I can post this profile, since the copyright police will see the author's label.

• It's a lovely little race is this, it will be interesting to see whether the dynamic changes with a stronger start list than usual
  • ddraver
    I've never watched this and I'll be able to tomorrow! 👌

(Assuming GCN has got it's ass into gear...)
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    edited March 2021
    Girls setting up for a 'Classics Sprint'...

Edit - Shattered by the final cobbled section at 3.5 to go

edit edit - Came back together and Lotte Kopecky took it from Emma Norsgarden (sp?) in a loooong sprint.

Fun last 10 km.

Some GB interest from Anna Henderson who animated the last 1.5 km albeit the teams with sprinters had it on lockdown again by then. Finished 8th in the end.
    - @ddraver
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,091
    Norsgaard's lead out ran out of steam way too early for her there. Nice wheel surfing by Kopecky to get herself back up to her and then take the win - Chloe Hosking couldn't close the gap but did enough to pull Kopecky within striking distance.

From the camera bike angle the finish looked a bit deceptive - there's a traffic calming chicane that messes with the apparent perspective, so it seemed closer than it was.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,811
    Not hopeful that the men's race will be anything other than a bunch sprint after that.
    The weather is far too Spring-like.