Really sweet frame to keep for years

Comments

• MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Going to head onto the Legend website now as TDV has thrown a wobbly sad on.

She's feeling threatened as your #1 love.
    And on Valentine's Day. Might as well twist the knife. 😉
    mate, it turned into the barney of all barneys......
    The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,972
    MattFalle said:

pblakeney said:

MattFalle said:

Going to head onto the Legend website now as TDV has thrown a wobbly sad on.

She's feeling threatened as your #1 love.
    And on Valentine's Day. Might as well twist the knife. 😉
    mate, it turned into the barney of all barneys......
    🤣🤣🤣
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    edited February 2021
    sungod said:

MattFalle said:

Don't carbon frames melt in the rain? Must confess if I was blowing that kind of money I'd be looking at titanium or a bespoke stainless frame.
    Just been for a walk in Richmond Park with the EPO and saw lots of people on very expensive bikes. Several 3Ts which leave me cold, as do the SWorks. Only bike I saw today that would tempt me out of that kind of cash was a Colnago

not digging Ti but i see where you are coming from.
    stainless steel, xcr tubing as it's seamless, polished shiny

won't melt in the rain, people will ogle it, cute girls will ask if they can take a picture to annoy their boyfriends

mine's 10+ years old now, still shiny in spite of riding it all year
    If he's going Campag, may as well go full Italian. Can't recall seeing one of these on the road at events etc before, OK its upper end of the budget but ticks every box.

Shiny
    Italian (required for a good campag build)
    Rare
    Stunning
    Shiny
    People will stop an stare at it
    Light - 1650g frame for a medium

Ti is nice but if I had the option to get one of those over my Ti, I would jump at it.

Cinelli XCR
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,697
    I think he might have had a "magic money tree" conversation over the weekend.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,128
    step83 said:

sungod said:

MattFalle said:

Don't carbon frames melt in the rain? Must confess if I was blowing that kind of money I'd be looking at titanium or a bespoke stainless frame.
    Just been for a walk in Richmond Park with the EPO and saw lots of people on very expensive bikes. Several 3Ts which leave me cold, as do the SWorks. Only bike I saw today that would tempt me out of that kind of cash was a Colnago

won't melt in the rain, people will ogle it, cute girls will ask if they can take a picture to annoy their boyfriends

If he's going Campag, may as well go full Italian. Can't recall seeing one of these on the road at events etc before, OK its upper end of the budget but ticks every box.

Shiny
    Rare
    Stunning
    Shiny

Ti is nice but if I had the option to get one of those over my Ti, I would jump at it.

Cinelli XCR
    i've got the original xcr, with bb30 and no paint at all, just some laser etching

though mine's got etap on at the moment :smiley:
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    edited February 2021
    sungod said:

step83 said:

sungod said:

MattFalle said:

Shiny
    Rare
    Stunning
    Shiny

Cinelli XCR
    i've got the original xcr, with bb30 and no paint at all, just some laser etching

though mine's got etap on at the moment :smiley:
    Migrate to EPS! (actually don't its faff and more cables) The newer framesets are all BSA threading thankfully, max tyres 25c though which is a little underwhelming.
    No paint though means much more shinys
  • MattFalle
    step83 said:

sungod said:

MattFalle said:

Shiny
    Rare
    Stunning
    Shiny

Cinelli XCR
    blimmin' hell thats nice.

heading across for a look now.

grazie!
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,082
    MattFalle said:

step83 said:

sungod said:

MattFalle said:

Shiny
    Rare
    Stunning
    Shiny

Cinelli XCR
    blimmin' hell thats nice.

heading across for a look now.

grazie!
    Plus potatoe, don’t think I will get away with another summer only bike
  • step83 said:

sungod said:

MattFalle said:

Shiny
    Rare
    Stunning
    Shiny

Cinelli XCR
    Wow, my winky just did a funny movement after seeing that work of art.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Slender tubing and deep rim wheels. It's all out of proportion.
    Beautiful frame though.

However, 0.4mm tube thickness (15 extrusions) which must be the limit to which steel can be pushed, to produce a frame where the equivalent performance, lightness, response could be bought in CF for £1500?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattFalle
    its beautiful. The TDNFNATN of bicycles.
  • twotoebenny
    twotoebenny Posts: 1,537
    There are a number of vendors worth a look, I'd checked out Parlee,Tommasini, Formigli Sarto etc before settling on a Legend... there had been a few posts on Legend hereabouts at the time of my decision... I love riding the bike and have had it ~ 6 years although I'm now thinking of selling and getting something else. It was both fun and frustrating dealing with everything around the build finishing kit etc but well worth it.
  • MattFalle
    pinno said:

Beautiful frame though.

However, 0.4mm tube thickness (15 extrusions) which must be the limit to which steel can be pushed, to produce a frame where the equivalent performance, lightness, response could be bought in CF for £1500?

it'll work if you do it right - slender stem, seat, 'bars, 23mm tyres, Chorus - if you go all fat and jeffy then yup, it'll go out of proportion.

All depends on how the frame will look with a standard stem - may be front heavy.

#delicate
  • First.Aspect
    I'll just leave this here, for the steel fetishism amongst you...

https://www.ciclicasati.com/Espresso-rim-brakes-RS-p159222036
  • pblakeney
    MattFalle said:

All depends on how the frame will look with a standard stem - may be front heavy.

#delicate

This is the perpetual and only problem with the Colnago Master.
    13 years in and still looking for the perfect solution...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Following - here's my old love which may be of some inspiration possibly. Not oversize tubes but lovely carbon weave and just an absolute delight.
  • sungod
    MattFalle said:

pinno said:

Beautiful frame though.

it'll work if you do it right - slender stem, seat, 'bars, 23mm tyres, Chorus - if you go all fat and jeffy then yup, it'll go out of proportion.

#delicate
    originally i had deda stem/bars, but switched to cinelli ram 2 integrated bars, a bit heavier but way way stiffer and good internal cable routing, eventually fitted a lower profile headset top cover than in the pic

• hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    ^^^

Cor.
  • hopkinb
    Thick end of 4 grand on a frame though. Once you've done it justice hanging nice bits and bobs off it that's 9-10 grand. That's a lot for a nice days only bike in the UK climate. I'm just a tight git though.
  • sungod
    hopkinb said:

Thick end of 4 grand on a frame though. Once you've done it justice hanging nice bits and bobs off it that's 9-10 grand. That's a lot for a nice days only bike in the UK climate. I'm just a tight git though.

why only nice days? i've ridden mine year round for over ten years

since the switch to working from home i've ridden it almost every day, last week's icy spell was the main exception, and with the pubs/bars shut, the lack of tub-cutting glass on the roads is joyous

stainless steel: ride, if necessary hose off the cack, wipe dry, lube the chain if needed
  • pblakeney
    edited February 2021

Following - here's my old love which may be of some inspiration possibly. Not oversize tubes but lovely carbon weave and just an absolute delight.

Time bikes are now a thing of the past. 😢 Unless someone knows different.

https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/cms/noroute/index/
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Time bikes are now a thing of the past. 😢 Unless someone knows different.

https://www.time-sport.com/int-en/cms/noroute/index/

Indeed - this was the last I read about Time

https://bikerumor.com/2020/06/08/rossignol-says-time-for-new-owners-whattfornow-to-start-french-cycling-group/
  • MattFalle
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

since the switch to working from home i've ridden it almost every day, last week's icy spell was the main exception, and with the pubs/bars shut, the lack of tub-cutting glass on the roads is joyous

stainless steel: ride, if necessary hose off the cack, wipe dry, lube the chain if needed
    Yup - as per SG - its there to be ridden. No point having a rubbish day at work to ride home on a shonker with mudguards when you ride home on something sweeeeet that makes you happy.
  • MattFalle

pretty pretty.... grazie!
  • MattFalle
    if Time have gone then its v v v sad - they are uber cool.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    sungod said:

recognises bike
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • hopkinb
    sungod said:

hopkinb said:

You are right of course. I'm making excuses for my inner tightwad.

Of the payoff of a year's salary I got nearly 3 years ago now, I have spent precisely £200 on myself. The rest went on house renovation/family holidays. I keep thinking I should treat myself to a bike, but never do. I like the one I have well enough, and there's no space in the Asgard anyway.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Ben6899 said:

sungod said:

recognises bike
    You are both Northerners so it's entirely feasible.
    I did suggest Stainless ages ago, although i did suggest bespoke. But if a standard size fits because you're not a freak that is a thing of beauty, even in the correct size for a normal human
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

That even appears to have a square taper BB in it!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • First.Aspect
    elbowloh said:

That even appears to have a square taper BB in it!
    Funny. It's the stand it is fixed to.

Have you seen the one in pearlescent white? Even the disc version looks nice.

Do
    Not
    Need
    Another
    Bike

Do
    Not....