The Rugby Thread

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    david37 said:

I couldnt watch, nothing to do with the quality of the game but i couldnt listen to the commentary, (and i enjoy the commentary) All i could hear was the dubbed in crowd and see the empty stadium. p****d me off.

Today's game BBC red button - no crowd noise.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,918
    I think Wales have this.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    Well that was a fun extra time... 😃
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    Stupid decision to go long at the end. Anywhere in the 22 would’ve done.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,479
    edited February 2021
    a) Why did Wales kick it away when all they had to do was hold it in the scrum as long as possible, couple of rumbles and put it in touch?

b) WTF was Burns doing kicking long rather than just getting a safe touch?

Ireland probably the better side and superb in possession but playing 65 minutes a man short is always going to be difficult.

Nice to see a match where scrums were competed without having to be reset all the time.

Excellent finish by Louis-Zammett for his try.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,738
    a) I thought Wales had literally kicked the game away. As silly as b).
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,812
    edited February 2021
    Pross said:

More like it. Blazing Saddles will be happy with that.

Indeed I was. Should keep the armchair critics quiet for a while.

Besides the tries and the fact we actually won, there wasn’t of positives to be taken from the game.

For the life of me I cannot understand why we persist in this aimless kicking game, only to be forced onto the back foot time and time again.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Besides the tries and the fact we actually won, there wasn’t of positives to be taken from the game.

For the life of me I cannot understand why we persist in this aimless kicking game, only to be forced onto the back foot time and time again.
    The kicking tactic doesn't work when you have a rubbish lineout and the opposition are happy to kick to touch to relieve pressure. The communication and timing looked to be a problem more than the actual throwing.

Shame Lydiate got injured, he was looking his old self again.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508

Pross said:

The last little grubber at the end was especially ridiculous. But if they can get their handling right, there’s signs of good things coming through. Defence was better than it has been for a few matches. But Ireland played well, fair play.
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle Posts: 11,644
    GET IN CYMRU!

The camera down the willy isn't anything like as bad as it sounds.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    red card deserved, huge tactical naivety from Wales. We should’ve kept higher pace through 1st half, brought all our replacements on at 50 mins and finished with a bonus point. Ireland were better pressure players. Ref should’ve been giving stern words for the high tackling, Ireland deserved a sin-bin after the 3rd.
    If you were a scrum half receiving the ball behind the scrum when leading with 5 seconds left on the clock, would you kick the ball towards the opposition? Fucking idiot, if Ireland turned that into a win (entirely possible) they’d have deserved it.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Had Wales lost having kicked away possession with less than 5 seconds left....
    That was Alun Whinge's best game for a few years.
    Agree about RZ's finish.

Neither side would trouble SA or NZ. Mind you nor would Eng or Scotland!
  • MattFalle
    edited February 2021

Neither side would trouble SA or NZ. !

we don't need to so long as we beat england.
  • Pross
    Meh that's been the problem with the attitude in Welsh rugby my entire life. I've been as guilty of it as anyone but these days I'd sacrifice losing to England to finally see Wales beat NZ.
  • ddraver

If you were a scrum half receiving the ball behind the scrum when leading with 5 seconds left on the clock, would you kick the ball towards the opposition? censored idiot, if Ireland turned that into a win (entirely possible) they’d have deserved it.

I dread to think what horrible concoction I would have been made to down that night in 'the court' had I done that...

(drinking culture, what drinking culture!)
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    MattFalle said:

Small minded idocy, and if those that play the game feel the same way you will never win anything beyond the odd Six Nations title.
  • MattFalle

MattFalle said:

Small minded idocy, and if those that play the game feel the same way you will never win anything beyond the odd Six Nations title.
    don't care so long as england cries into its overhyped nonsense.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Owen Farrell. #caserested
  • MattFalle
    Pross said:

Meh that's been the problem with the attitude in Welsh rugby my entire life. I've been as guilty of it as anyone but these days I'd sacrifice losing to England to finally see Wales beat NZ.

Never even think of losing to england. Ever.

#unthinkable
  • MattFalle
    MattFalle said:

Why?

Because they are utterly totally arrogant, they think that everyone should just roll over and hero worship them.

No sportsmanship, not cool, no personality. Nothing. Not even a dog as a mascot.

Crowds full of cheering middle class Daily Mail readers all singing the first 4 lines of Swing Low because thats the only ones they know.

Every time they lose is sheer joy.

The Man Utd of rugby.
    Everyone associated with england rugby is also an incredibly bad loser - fans, team, management, whoever.
  • ddraver
    They clearly live rent free in your head though...

#RentFree
    - @ddraver
  • Dorset_Boy
    MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Why?

Because they are utterly totally arrogant, they think that everyone should just roll over and hero worship them.

No sportsmanship, not cool, no personality. Nothing. Not even a dog as a mascot.

Crowds full of cheering middle class Daily Mail readers all singing the first 4 lines of Swing Low because thats the only ones they know.

The Man Utd of rugby.
    Everyone associated with england rugby is also an incredibly bad loser - fans, team, management, whoever.
    Utter, utter pathetic drivel. Take the chips off your shoulders.
    Every England fan I know thinks Scotland thoroughly deserved their win.
    Likewise the World Cup final - but then you wouldn't know what it's like for your country to get to a final would you!

I do however totally agree that there are far too many corporate tw@ts in the Twickenham crowd who don't know rugby exists outside the internationals.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,385
    edited February 2021
    Pross said:

Thanks Pross - saved me typing that. As soon as Wales got out of the mindset that beating England was all that mattered, they progressed massively. I love watching the Welsh play Rugby (unless they're playing England).

I've never understood the "english arrogance" thing held by some Welsh and Scots. I've always assumed it to be a vehicle for some odd paranoia. There are some properly annoying home counties pr1cks that support England but there are far, far more normal working class supporters (often players or ex-players) - there will be the same demographic in Wales and Scotland - but that doesn't fit the stereotype I suppose.

England played as badly on Saturday as they have for the last 20 years. They were woeful. Scotland were excellent by comparison but, it should be noted, England were within a score of winning all the way through the game until the final whistle. As awful as they were, they could still have won. Scotland did not "put the game away" even though they seem to have a pretty sexy midfield now.

For all the Welsh and Scots revelling in an England defeat, fill your boots!!

Enjoy it if you want - (the meme with the chariot with a broken wheel is really, really funny btw) although you won't find me on here doing the same should England beat you any time soon. There's little class in that.

In the last 18 months England have won the Six Nations, won the Autumn Nations Cup, smashed the All Blacks and played in a World Cup Final . . . I can't get too upset over a loss to a very good Scotland side.

Wilier Izoard XP
  • johngti

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Why?

The Man Utd of rugby.
    Likewise the World Cup final - but then you wouldn't know what it's like for your country to get to a final would you!

I do however totally agree that there are far too many corporate tw@ts in the Twickenham crowd who don't know rugby exists outside the internationals.
    However, I'm yet to meet an England supporter who, when beaten by Wales, has ever acknowledged that they lost to a better team. There's always an undercurrent of "well, we gave it to them didn't we".
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    johngti said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Why?

The Man Utd of rugby.

However, I'm yet to meet an England supporter who, when beaten by Wales, has ever acknowledged that they lost to a better team. There's always an undercurrent of "well, we gave it to them didn't we".
    Well, I'm sure you'd never get an England supporter writing off a defeat to Scotland with things like "England played as badly on Saturday as they have for the last 20 years. They were woeful."

I guess you just have to remember that the default is that England are the best and, all other things being equal, deserve to win every time. Please understand that of course that's not the same as "english arrogance"
  • johngti

johngti said:

I guess you just have to remember that the default is that England are the best and, all other things being equal, deserve to win every time. Please understand that of course that's not the same as "english arrogance"

But then I'd have to accept the premise that England are the best...

I have agreed to support England when they're not playing Wales though - all in the name of domestic peace and quiet of course
  • Dorset_Boy

johngti said:

MattFalle said:

MattFalle said:

Why?

The Man Utd of rugby.

Well, I'm sure you'd never get an England supporter writing off a defeat to Scotland with things like "England played as badly on Saturday as they have for the last 20 years. They were woeful."

Well given England's playing resources they really, really should win a lot more than they lose.
    I'm not sure the worst performance in 20 years bit is necessarily true, but you cannot deny England were very poor, particularly in comparison to the RWC semi!
    Whether that was Scotland making them look poor, or the reality that as good as Scotland were, England were undeniably poor too.
    None of that takes anything away from a deserved victory by Scotland.

I'm sure when Scotland were humped at TW1 4 years ago there will have been plenty of Scots stating how awful Scotland were that day, and how they made England look good.
    Or the first half two years ago.

However it tends to be fine for celts to say they were poor in defeat but the English can't do the same as it is arrogant.
  • Pross

Pross said:

Thanks Pross - saved me typing that. As soon as Wales got out of the mindset that beating England was all that mattered, they progressed massively. I love watching the Welsh play Rugby (unless they're playing England).

I've never understood the "english arrogance" thing held by some Welsh and Scots. I've always assumed it to be a vehicle for some odd paranoia. There are some properly annoying home counties pr1cks that support England but there are far, far more normal working class supporters (often players or ex-players) - there will be the same demographic in Wales and Scotland - but that doesn't fit the stereotype I suppose.

England played as badly on Saturday as they have for the last 20 years. They were woeful. Scotland were excellent by comparison but, it should be noted, England were within a score of winning all the way through the game until the final whistle. As awful as they were, they could still have won. Scotland did not "put the game away" even though they seem to have a pretty sexy midfield now.

For all the Welsh and Scots revelling in an England defeat, fill your boots!!

Enjoy it if you want - (the meme with the chariot with a broken wheel is really, really funny btw) although you won't find me on here doing the same should England beat you any time soon. There's little class in that.

In the last 18 months England have won the Six Nations, won the Autumn Nations Cup, smashed the All Blacks and played in a World Cup Final . . . I can't get too upset over a loss to a very good Scotland side.

I suspect it stems back to the amateur era originally but I don't think that Carling / Guscott era endeared them to many outside England. I met a few of the England lads (and Welsh / Scots) at George North's wedding and they seemed a decent enough bunch. Hartley seemed a bit of a character and Laws is fecking massive! I've found the Irish players more annoying in recent years to be fair other than Mike Brown who I suspect even the most ardent England supporter thinks is a Grade A c0ck. No doubt a few of the Welsh players come across similarly to non-Welsh supporters.

• kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,224
    edited February 2021

Well given England's playing resources they really, really should win a lot more than they lose.
    I'm not sure the worst performance in 20 years bit is necessarily true, but you cannot deny England were very poor, particularly in comparison to the RWC semi!
    Whether that was Scotland making them look poor, or the reality that as good as Scotland were, England were undeniably poor too.
    None of that takes anything away from a deserved victory by Scotland.

I'm sure when Scotland were humped at TW1 4 years ago there will have been plenty of Scots stating how awful Scotland were that day, and how they made England look good.
    Or the first half two years ago.

However it tends to be fine for celts to say they were poor in defeat but the English can't do the same as it is arrogant.
    I think that's what can come across as arrogance. We should win, but jolly well done to the little countries if they manage to compete with us sometimes despite their disadvantages.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    One that used to really xxxx me off was Matt Dawson, he of the deliberate faked pass at the ruck to draw opposing players offside. Devious cheating squirrel.